The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

On 03/02/2021 at 23:35, villa4europe said:

Already done the dig this week, outside the wire, below zero and maybe white tiger to follow, news of the world, space sweepers and malcom and Marie next week,

Watched White Tiger.  A good 7.5/10 - enjoyable, something a bit different.

• Like 1

Blue Story

I thought it was good, good young cast, obviously cheaply put together but not to its detriment, the "real" footage was cool and they should have used more of it, I liked the rapman narration stuff but I'm not sure if that lead to its biggest problem, it's 90 mins long and felt under developed, top boy obviously has time to breath but I'd day kidulthood has far better written characters and does a better job of establishing normality, this could have done with some more scenes of the older guys influencing them negatively, especially switcher 

Michael Ward is the real deal, need to watch small axe 

On 05/02/2021 at 21:20, mjmooney said:

Just sitting with the missus, watching 'Greenland'. Bored stupid. Disaster movie by numbers. Hence posting on VT. 

In all fairness Mike how do you expect an extinction event via asteroids to pan out in a film, you could argue that there would be one big lump at the start that kills the planet which would not make much of a film and people slightly feeling cheated out of their admission fee unless it ended with FIN  which would placate a few like Bicks or Hanoi or that Polish oddity. However  I sincerely hope that should an event of this ever type occur I will be viewing VT to gauge your boredom  when a lump lands next to you, Selfishly my thoughts wander that such an event might hit my missus

Edited by Follyfoot
  • Haha 3

6 hours ago, theboyangel said:

The Nightingale started off very well (albeit hard/harrowing viewing) but fizzled out as it went on. 

Not bad but not brilliant. 

Surprising that in all fairness. It kept my attention throughout. Perhaps I wanted it to so was a little blinkered. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

Surprising that in all fairness. It kept my attention throughout. Perhaps I wanted it to so was a little blinkered. 

I think it just dragged on too long with a lot of meandering in the second half of the story. It was alright but wouldn't rush to.watch it again. 

I preferred the director's previous film, the Babadook, which did.capture my attention throughout (and kept.me.thinking.about it afterward)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, villa4europe said:

who thought it was a good idea to let murphy play multiple characters in make up in coming to america 2?

i dont know how or why he gets away with it

"Eh, what do you know from funny, you bastard?"

For real though, I will be shocked if the sequel isn't atrocious.

14 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

who thought it was a good idea to let murphy play multiple characters in make up in coming to america 2?

It worked really well in Bowfinger

• Like 2

5 hours ago, villa4europe said:

The original was very funny but one of those movies that would be better off left to stand alone instead of creating some cash making exercise of a sequel

I doubt it will be any good. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, darrenm said:

It worked really well in Bowfinger

Bowfinger was just the geeky guy wasn't it? 

Can't remember a scene where its 5 guys and maybe a woman in a room with all 6 played by Murphy, that kind of comedy never ever works 

9 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Bowfinger was just the geeky guy wasn't it? 

Can't remember a scene where its 5 guys and maybe a woman in a room with all 6 played by Murphy, that kind of comedy never ever works 

Yeah he plays 2 people. I'd agree it usually doesn't work but then I thought of Bowfinger and it's a notable contradiction because it really is good.

6 hours ago, villa4europe said:

He's done that in loads of his movies (inc the original Coming to America). Works well in some and not so well in others.

Re. Coming 2 America. It should have been left well alone and I hope he doesn't undo a lot of the goodwill he's gained from Dolomite which was excellent.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, darrenm said:

Yeah he plays 2 people. I'd agree it usually doesn't work but then I thought of Bowfinger and it's a notable contradiction because it really is good.

The rubbish Kung Fu scene at the end is one of the silliest funniest things I've ever seen. 😂

• Like 1

13 hours ago, darrenm said:

Bowfinger in this house is shorthand for the worst film ever made. My wife says this better not be another Bowfinger. On release as I liked the leads I talked her into watching it. It was very bad and ever since its been held against me. 

7 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

Bowfinger in this house is shorthand for the worst film ever made. My wife says this better not be another Bowfinger. On release as I liked the leads I talked her into watching it. It was very bad and ever since its been held against me. 

Chubby Rain might be bad but Bowfinger is great. Or at least my memory is of finding it funny, and I don’t plan to tarnish that by revisiting it.

9 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

Chubby Rain might be bad but Bowfinger is great. Or at least my memory is of finding it funny, and I don’t plan to tarnish that by revisiting it.

I thought it was OK but my wife hated it. Real hate. For 10 years she said I was no longer allowed to choose films. 

Â