The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

2 hours ago, theboyangel said:

I’ve yet to watch Tenet, despite liking Nolan and his previous offerings. 

I’ve heard too much negativity toward this, particularly the muffled/incoherent  dialogue so happy to give it a miss for a while.

It's got a few problems.

The sound mix is completely bollocksed. Dialogue is placed far too low and the effects and sound track far too high, which combined with Nolan's penchant for people talking quickly and for characters in masks makes it a complete mess. I ended up putting on subtitles after about 5 minutes as I hadn't properly caught more than a line of dialogue at a time at that point.

It's also a film where you kinda either need to completely get on board with the concept, or completely accept it no questions asked. I couldn't do either. I couldn't accept the ideas the film wanted me to, and it ended up irritating me more than engaging me.

The action isn't much cop either. Nolan's always been a bit crap on this front but in this case there's a bunch of action scenes that... Well... They aren't that good, and they aren't filmed in a way to elevate them, because of Nolan's very flat matter of fact style. And then you have a few moments that reek of 'this sounded good on paper' - there's a fight scene at the end of the first act that, for me at least, just doesn't work, it looks bad, but you can tell when it was being scripted that was one of those 'sell the movie' moments they had come up with. And the finale is a complete mess on multiple fronts.

It's got a small and pretty solid cast, but they're having to work with complete bollocks. Washington is a solid action star on the basis of this but he's lumbered with a character that has barely any personality. Pattison is solid and gets more of a character to play with but even he suffers from the script - he just randomly turns up and that's it. Elizabeth Debicki, who is gorgeous and can play upper class totty with her eyes closed gets the role of gorgeous upper class totty with eyes open, and sod all else. Branagh is fine as a Russian bastard. Aaron Taylor Johnson appears. Michael Caine has a cameo that exists solely for Nolan to give him a send off.

The film is basically Christopher Nolan taking a couple of things he's obsessed with - Bond movies and time - and mashing them together. It's a film where he gets to do some navel gazing over how clever his script is  playing with time concepts within the shell of a Bond movie. If you tear out the intellectual rocket polisher -y it's a really boring Bond film. And the rocket polisher -y isn't very good either, because it doesn't translate to film in anything other than being a bit naff or just looking shit.

it comes to something that

Spoiler

there's an episode of Red Dwarf 

that probably did the whole concept better.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

stupid question but the audio issues people are discussing, were they experienced in the cinema and therefore the streaming release is ok? or is it knackered across the board?

It's knackered on the streaming releases too. It was a deliberate choice by Nolan to use sound in an "impressionistic way".

Call me old fashioned, but I like to be able to understand what I'm listening to. I also enabled the subtitles, but decided it just wasn't worth persevering with about 45 minutes in. I give it pretentious bollocks out of 10, and would absolutely not recommend it, and I've enjoyed pretty much all of his work until this point.

3 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

It's knackered on the streaming releases too. It was a deliberate choice by Nolan to use sound in an "impressionistic way".

Call me old fashioned, but I like to be able to understand what I'm listening to. I also enabled the subtitles, but decided it just wasn't worth persevering with about 45 minutes in. I give it pretentious bollocks out of 10, and would absolutely not recommend it, and I've enjoyed pretty much all of his work until this point.

cheers...i shan't bother then!

Slated disney+ a bit in the SW thread, sat watching aladdin in 4k, they've done a really nice job of it, feels like they've cleaned the characters up but not done that much with the backgrounds which makes the characters stand out even more 

They've put a times have changed but thats no excuse cultural stereotyping warning thing at the start, it is pretty bad to be fair

Watched hell or High water last night, thanks for the recommendation it's very good, it's slower but I think the brothers are more interesting as a pair and bridges is excellent, the texan drawl was hard going in places though! Maybe now knowing it's part of an "America" series I did notice the setting a lot more, the desperation and the poverty works better in this than the missing Indians problem does in wind River 

Will rewatch sicario at some point this week, remember that as a solid 7/10 film 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Slated disney+ a bit in the SW thread, sat watching aladdin in 4k, they've done a really nice job of it, feels like they've cleaned the characters up but not done that much with the backgrounds which makes the characters stand out even more 

They've put a times have changed but thats no excuse cultural stereotyping warning thing at the start, it is pretty bad to be fair

never knew that. looks like they've done it with any film that contains any racial stereotyping i.e. dumbo and the aristocats. good on them. guessing 'song of the south' couldn't be re released even with a disclaimer however!

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

stupid question but the audio issues people are discussing, were they experienced in the cinema and therefore the streaming release is ok? or is it knackered across the board?

I watched the UHD Blu-ray release, with a decent sound system that's worked perfectly well for any other film I've cared to watch.

On Tenet? Nope. It's badly mixed. Dialogue in action scenes is completely ****.

4 minutes ago, Chindie said:

I watched the UHD Blu-ray release, with a decent sound system that's worked perfectly well for any other film I've cared to watch.

On Tenet? Nope. It's badly mixed. Dialogue in action scenes is completely ****.

Which is mad considering dunkirk won the Oscars for best sound editing and mixing and imo is probably the best sounding film I've ever watched 

• Like 1

On 23/11/2020 at 17:24, sne said:

But just think how sweet it will be when you finally get to watch it :D 

tonight's the night, could wait until January to rent but going all in any buying it for a tenner 

• Like 1

Â