The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

46 minutes ago, sne said:

Prisoners of the Ghostland sounds like something to look forward to. A Sion Sono movie (Love Exposure, Tokyo Tribe, Why Don't You Play in Hell?...) starring Nicholas Cage set in a post-apocalyptic wasteland, featuring testicle bombs apparently :D 

One to keep an eye out for @Follyfoot ?

You will like this. from Mandy

Knock knock ...............

Who’s there?”

Erik Estrada.”

Erik Estrada who?”

Erik Estrada, from CHiPS,” 

Edited by Follyfoot
  • Haha 3

Sono had a new film released late last year which was pretty good, called 'Red Post on Escher Street'. Follows different people and their stories as they audition for a role in a new movie, the 'Red Post' in the title refers to the letter box that appears throughout the movie where they all post their auditons. Not as wild as some of his films, but you can still tell that it's one of his movies.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Follyfoot said:

You will like this. from Mandy

Knock knock ...............

Who’s there?”

Erik Estrada.”

Erik Estrada who?”

Erik Estrada, from CHiPS,” 

Mandy was absolutely fantastic. Loved that film.

• Like 2

So while it’s 2nd February, that brings to mind a certain film that takes place on that day...

With that in mind, has anyone ever seen “12:01”? The feature film or the original short film?

The short is quite interesting, I’d describe it as the best episode the twilight zone never made (I know the series did an episode about a recurring dream which was quite good). Quite nightmarish really. It has Kurtwood Smith in it, from Robocop.

The full feature is a more “comedic” version of the story. Think both can be found on YouTube.

Bit of an odd old one that i was not convinced actually ever existed until a few years ago let me track it via the Internet. I vividly remember one night in the early 80s they cancelled match of the day due to bad weather and stuck this film on instead. It’s the only  time I’ve ever known it broadcast and it had a really profound affect on me (And also many others after reading some of the reviews) It’s called La Cabina, It’s only half an hour long and there is virtually no talking in it. It is based on the simple premise of a man who gets stuck a telephone box. Highly recommend giving it a go But do not read any of the reviews before doing so as that would ruin it. It is only available on YouTube

Edited by Follyfoot
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Follyfoot said:

Bit of an odd old one that i was not convinced actually ever existed until a few years ago let me track it via the Internet. I vividly remember one night in the early 80s they cancelled match of the day due to bad weather and stuck this film on instead. It’s the only  time I’ve ever known it broadcast and it had a really profound affect on me (And also many others after reading some of the reviews) It’s called La Cabina, It’s only half an hour long and there is virtually no talking in it. It is based on the simple premise of a man who gets stuck a telephone box. Highly recommend giving it a go But do not read any of the reviews before doing so as that would ruin it. It is only available on YouTube.

Is that the Spanish thing, where he starts in a phone box in the middle of a square?

6 hours ago, ender4 said:

It's weird with no new films having come out for months now (except crappy Netflix garbage).

I miss watching films!     Caught up on a load of TV shows though.

Netflix have something like 70 out this year so they're giving it a huge push, I'm gonna try and watch a fair few 

Already done the dig this week, outside the wire, below zero and maybe white tiger to follow, news of the world, space sweepers and malcom and Marie next week, I care a lot the week after, should watch mank and ma rainey too

They're cleaning up

Edit - watch the trial of the Chicago 7

Edited by villa4europe
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Netflix have something like 70 out this year so they're giving it a huge push, I'm gonna try and watch a fair few 

Already done the dig this week, outside the wire, below zero and maybe white tiger to follow, news of the world, space sweepers and malcom and Marie next week, I care a lot the week after, should watch mank and ma rainey too

They're cleaning up

Edit - watch the trial of the Chicago 7

Any of them decent?  

They all seem to be like 4-6/10 films IMO.

Maybe I just picked the wrong ones.

7 minutes ago, ender4 said:

Any of them decent?  

Not sure what sort of films you like, but my favourite Netflix release last year was Tigertail, which I assume is still on the platform, and was a rather emotional family drama about a Taiwanese man moving to the US, and his relationship with his daughter.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Not sure what sort of films you like, but my favourite Netflix release last year was Tigertail, which I assume is still on the platform, and was a rather emotional family drama about a Taiwanese man moving to the US, and his relationship with his daughter.

Great directorial debut that was.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Would the whole experience have been made better with Nic Cage as the 'Taiwanese' man? 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, ender4 said:

Any of them decent?  

They're trying to cover every genre so it's hard to say

Chicago 7 is a 8/10 for me da five bloods was a 7/10, the dig was another 7/10 but I think a lot of people will find it boring 

Edited by villa4europe

Really enjoyed one night in miami, its about Ali, malcolm x, Jim brown and Sam Cooke celebrating after Ali beat Liston 

Probably helps if you know at least a bit about all of them, some great performances and the majority of the film is 4 guys in a room so it had to be good performances 

Â