The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

On 17/11/2020 at 10:14, sne said:

Having watched it now and it really is a steaming pile of a movie :D . Utterly confusing first half of the movie but then as you suspected it turns into a The Predator clone but with martial arts rather than machine guns.

But, it also has Nic Cage being Nic Cage in it. This time channeling Dennis Hopper from Apocalypse Now so it's absolutely a must watch.

Should add that movies/series where martial arts guys fights against guys with guns is probably the genre I dislike the most. Just ludicrously silly.

3/10 and that's being generous. But it has Cage in it so that's instantly a 8/10 for the few scenes he's in

I would personally close the nominations now for best action adventure film featuring Nicolas Cage in the years Oscars, only one winner. 9.76/10 

• Like 1

I thought the Tom and Jerry trailer looked quite good, as I'd been wondering why you don't see more live action mixed with animation films... But a lot of the comments on that video are saying that isn't very good. I think there's a good idea there for a film as would be interesting to see Jerry and Tom interacting with the 'real world'.

Edited by useless

Having just sat through Wonder Woman 1984 (not my choice) and as expected it wasn't for me.

Uninteresting story, boring villains and way too long. It's 2.5h where nothing much happens. It feels (maybe intentionally?) campy and neither Wiig or Pascal work as baddies.

Even with the suspension of disbelief that you need for this type of movie the writing is still poor. Felt very much like and 80's B-movie but then again maybe that was what they were aiming for.

4/10, and that's generous.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, sne said:

Having just sat through Wonder Woman 1984 (not my choice) and as expected it wasn't for me.

Uninteresting story, boring villains and way too long. It's 2.5h where nothing much happens. It feels (maybe intentionally?) campy and neither Wiig or Pascal work as baddies.

Even with the suspension of disbelief that you need for this type of movie the writing is still poor. Felt very much like and 80's B-movie but then again maybe that was what they were aiming for.

4/10, and that's generous.

Would a role for Nick Cage improved the score

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, wazzap24 said:

The Midnight Sky 

Confused Larry David GIF

Watching it now. Since I'm also on VT at the same time you can imagine I'm not too invested in the story.

Been a bunch of similar really slow sci-fi light movies in the last few years who have all failed to be interesting although some have been OK-ish. Interstellar, The Martian, Gravity, Passengers, Aniara, Geostorm :crylaugh: and a bunch of others I can't bother to find the names of. Guess they have become relatively cheap to make unless you aim to make a blockbuster.

As for this one, meh. The IMDB score of just over 5/10 is about right. It's a nothing movie that I guess was supposed to be deep and profound, but wasn't. At least I didn't care about anything that happened.

1 hour ago, sne said:

Watching it now. Since I'm also on VT at the same time you can imagine I'm not too invested in the story.

Been a bunch of similar really slow sci-fi light movies in the last few years who have all failed to be interesting although some have been OK-ish. Interstellar, The Martian, Gravity, Passengers, Aniara, Geostorm :crylaugh: and a bunch of others I can't bother to find the names of. Guess they have become relatively cheap to make unless you aim to make a blockbuster.

As for this one, meh. The IMDB score of just over 5/10 is about right. It's a nothing movie that I guess was supposed to be deep and profound, but wasn't. At least I didn't care about anything that happened.

I don’t know what it was supposed to be?    It looked gorgeous and there were a couple of decent scenes, but overall I just couldn’t see what they were going for. It was neither here nor there and there was no real reason to invest in, or care about the characters, despite Clooney turning in a decent performance. 

• Like 2

Â