The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

On 15/01/2021 at 15:20, MCU said:

Always struggled to get into the X-Men movies, but Apocalypse is probably the only one I remember liking. (Can't be that good as I can't remember much about it!)

While we're on Superhero movies... I've just found out I've got to isolate for 10 days so setting myself a task of whipping through the DC movies again..

• Man of Steel – (June 14, 2013) ✅
  • Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice (March 25, 2016)
  • Suicide Squad – (August 5, 2016)
  • Wonder Woman – (June 2, 2017)
  • Justice League – (November 17, 2017)
  • Aquaman – (December 21, 2018)
  • Shazam! – (April 5, 2019)
  • Birds of Prey – (February 7, 2020)
  • Wonder Woman 1984 — (December 25, 2020)

(Ignore the dates... just copy + pasted from my notes)

Looking a that list Vs the MCU just makes me sad. I’d probably just about take Suicide Squad over Iron Man 2 and that’s it. Maybe WW over Thor 2 as well at a push. 

I’m looking forward to seeing the ‘Snyder Cut’ of Justice League, it looks pretty good, but it’s not going to undo the mess they made of this ‘universe’.  

Growing up I was always DC over Marvel and the Nolan Batman trilogy remains undefeated IMO, but they couldn’t have done any worse with the DCU if they tried. 

4 minutes ago, wazzap24 said:

Looking a that list Vs the MCU just makes me sad. I’d probably just about take Suicide Squad over Iron Man 2 and that’s it. Maybe WW over Thor 2 as well at a push. 

I’m looking forward to seeing the ‘Snyder Cut’ of Justice League, it looks pretty good, but it’s not going to undo the mess they made of this ‘universe’.  

Growing up I was always DC over Marvel and the Nolan Batman trilogy remains undefeated IMO, but they couldn’t have done any worse with the DCU if they tried. 

I've been the opposite, always Marvel over DC. However, I never really gave the DC movies a chance. They're just such a mess. They keep changing the cast ie they can't seem to settle on a Batman or Joker for example. They're bringing out another film called 'The Suicide Squad' instead of Suicide Squad... assuming this was because the first film really didn't hit it off? 

Anyways, I watched Batman V Superman last night and really enjoyed it, just as I did Man of Steel. It's a shame, I think they start going downhill from here!

• Like 1

Watched Room, was the wife's choice, I wanted to go with the secrets in their eyes but it being argue put her off

All I knew of the room was Bries performance, was very sceptical of it, especially at the start, it's very very good, the performance from brie is superb, the kid might be even better, it's nearly always emotional but not overly sad or uses cheap tricks to squeeze tears out of you, it's grim but not depressing 

9 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Watched Room, was the wife's choice, I wanted to go with the secrets in their eyes but it being argue put her off

All I knew of the room was Bries performance, was very sceptical of it, especially at the start, it's very very good, the performance from brie is superb, the kid might be even better, it's nearly always emotional but not overly sad or uses cheap tricks to squeeze tears out of you, it's grim but not depressing 

Seek out the Argentinian original of the the secrets in their eyes, way way better then the American remake.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Phil Silvers said:

Seek out the Argentinian original of the the secrets in their eyes, way way better then the American remake.

I've seen them both but she hasn't and yeah id say its a 9/10 film dropping down to a 5 or a 6 despite the remake having a great cast, can't remember what the big difference is though, the remake is missing something 

Its also been a long time since I've watched the original 

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

I've seen them both but she hasn't and yeah id say its a 9/10 film dropping down to a 5 or a 6 despite the remake having a great cast, can't remember what the big difference is though, the remake is missing something 

Its also been a long time since I've watched the original 

The original had a depth that drew you in, it connected you to the characters and the story at a level the remake couldn't. That said in the remake, the scene when Julia Roberts character looks into the dumpster is very done.

Different ending that was meh and unforgivable considering how emotional the original ending was.

• Like 1

Beauty and the Beast (1946) I thought that the effects were very good and I liked how creepy and surreal the Beast's castle was in fairytale sort of way. Laura (1944) Noir mystery, I really liked it. Phantom Thread For some but not for me.

• Like 1

Wasted a couple hours over the weekend watching Netflix sci-fi flick Outside the Wire and Norwegian disaster movie The Quake (Skjelvet).

Didn't bother finishing Outside the Wire as it was rather crap and couldn't force myself to watch the last 15 minutes. Not a fan of Anthony Mackie's work of late but Damson Idris is usually OK. 4/10

The Quake was a paint by numbers disaster movie with the separated family and the absentee scientist father with issues who saves the day (kinda). Took forever to get anywhere. 5/10 

I liked the 2015 Norwegian disaster movie The Wave (Bölgen) a lot more

Watched Locked Down over the weekend and thought it was alright, not spectacular but good enough. Even though it's incredibly stupid. 

There's one scene where Paxton gets on a bus and a really really cool song starts playing and I haven't been able to find out who it is. If anyone watches it and knows what the song is please let me know! 

Edited by PieFacE

On 15/01/2021 at 15:20, MCU said:

While we're on Superhero movies... I've just found out I've got to isolate for 10 days so setting myself a task of whipping through the DC movies again..

• Man of Steel – (June 14, 2013) ✅
  • Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice (March 25, 2016)
  • Suicide Squad – (August 5, 2016)
  • Wonder Woman – (June 2, 2017)
  • Justice League – (November 17, 2017)
  • Aquaman – (December 21, 2018)
  • Shazam! – (April 5, 2019)
  • Birds of Prey – (February 7, 2020)
  • Wonder Woman 1984 — (December 25, 2020)

someone called MCU is watching the DCU films hmmmm.

I watched 10 Cloverfield Lane last night, and had somehow managed to not notice the genres that the film was tagged with. It's fair to say that the ending was a bit of a surprise. Somewhat less satisfying if you go in with your eyes open, I imagine, but I bloody loved it!

I thought I would give the recent reboot of The Godfather 3 a go. Didn't even get halfway through. It really was that bad. Andy Garcia was absolutely cringeworthy and some of the lines were like something from an afternoon, channel 5 movie. 

I actually think Godfather 1 has to be one of the most overrated movies ever. Never really understood all the hype, although, number 2 isn't that bad.

14 minutes ago, hogso said:

Well, it's a Bond film is a bang on 6 or 7 out of ten. 

nah im not having that! expecially the daniel craig ones, they swing wildly from great to shit, CR and skyfall were great, QoS and Spectre were rubbish so i've got high hopes of this one returning to being great to see him off, the biggest disappointment for me will be that after 5 films he's still the "fresh" "new" james bond from CR, meaning that he's neither of those things any more, they havent developed him at all and now i think they will go off in a controversial new direction rather than aim for good writing

i think he's got 2 as a contender for best bond film and worst bond film so the 5th and final one will decide where he ranks as a bond, id have him as 3rd behind connery and moore

3 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

nah im not having that! expecially the daniel craig ones, they swing wildly from great to shit, CR and skyfall were great, QoS and Spectre were rubbish so i've got high hopes of this one returning to being great to see him off, the biggest disappointment for me will be that after 5 films he's still the "fresh" "new" james bond from CR, meaning that he's neither of those things any more, they havent developed him at all and now i think they will go off in a controversial new direction rather than aim for good writing

i think he's got 2 as a contender for best bond film and worst bond film so the 5th and final one will decide where he ranks as a bond, id have him as 3rd behind connery and moore

Never got the Q of S hate

I actually think Skyfall is the worst of the Craig era  ... its not terrible just the whole Scotland scenes really piss me off

Edited by tonyh29

i loved the scotland scene! even drove the roads after watching it, i think the setting and the cinematography pushes it through, same with the china stuff, just the style and filming of it is some of the best Bond has ever done, tube train was a bit ropey though...

QoS just did nothing...doesn't go anywhere or develop anything, which like i said is my main issue with DCs bond, it was just a continuation of what came before but with a story so weak that they used action set pieces to link everything together, the story doesnt breathe at all, it doesnt use the locations very well, no real interest as to where it all was apart from the place at the end, its ultimately a bit boring which considering the action doesnt really make sense

Â