The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

18 hours ago, sne said:

En kärlekshistoria (1970)

This old gem turns 50 years old this weekend, an absolute Swedish cult classic by Roy Andersson. His debut film no less.

Once, many years ago, I had something less than a relationship and something more than a friendship with a Swedish lady which was born of a shared love of Roy Andersson films. Thinking about that has made me feel old.

• Like 1

Arkansas is very good indeed, first time feature film director Clark Duke who you might remember from Sex Drive or one of the friends in the Kick Ass film.

Liam Hemsworth is very good here and just as his more famous brother releases a massive new Netflix film I suspect this is he better film and better performance although I haven’t seen Extraction yet.

8/10

Watched Doctor Sleep the other night.

I was kinda wary of it. The Shining is one of my favourite films, it's still my favourite 'horror' movie, and I never felt like there was anything to be added by a sequel. And I tend to find King stuff a bit hit and miss anyway.

It's quite good, but it's a different thing to the Shining. Very different. It's not a horror movie, and it's quite silly in many ways. It's actually probably at its weakest when it nods back to its roots. But I'd give it a go if you've got 3 hours to sit down. 

Watched the 80s film Hotshot with Pele as a couple of podcasts were reviewing it. It is absolutely horrid. I thought Goal 3 was bad, but this is the worst movie I have ever seen.

Watched two films I've been waiting for over the weekend, both turned out somewhat disappointing although not terrible.

First one was sci-fi/thriller Possessor by Cronenberg jr Brandon, it was OK but nothing special, there are a few "if you don't think this is fantastic you don't get it" reviews on IMDB but if it's that he's aiming for he fails at it. It's not that clever or special.

The other one was The Lodge. Horror (not really) thriller/drama slow burn but tries to build up a creeping The Shining type feeling of insanity and almost does that. Once again it was OK but there are loads of similar movies that does it better.

Both about 6/10, meh.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Jon said:

Eye in the sky (2015).

Excellent film about a potential drone strike.  Starts out quite slowly, but gradually drags you in.  Presents interesting moral and political dilemmas, from different peoples perspectives.  By the end it had ripped my heart out, whilst keeping my totally gripped. 

9/10 WB. 

One of my favourite films, and very under-rated when it came out. Under the radar to use an ironic metaphor. 

Watched La Grande Illusion last night, one of my favourite (anti)war films. 

20 hours ago, Chindie said:

Watched Doctor Sleep the other night.

I was kinda wary of it. The Shining is one of my favourite films, it's still my favourite 'horror' movie, and I never felt like there was anything to be added by a sequel. And I tend to find King stuff a bit hit and miss anyway.

It's quite good, but it's a different thing to the Shining. Very different. It's not a horror movie, and it's quite silly in many ways. It's actually probably at its weakest when it nods back to its roots. But I'd give it a go if you've got 3 hours to sit down. 

Caught that a few weeks ago, absolutely loved it.  Though admittedly, if Rebecca Ferguson; no can defence.

2 minutes ago, GarethRDR said:

Caught that a few weeks ago, absolutely loved it.  Though admittedly, if Rebecca Ferguson; no can defence.

I can't confirm or deny that Rebecca Ferguson had an influence on my enjoyment of the film.

:wub:

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Jon said:

Eye in the sky (2015).

Excellent film about a potential drone strike.  Starts out quite slowly, but gradually drags you in.  Presents interesting moral and political dilemmas, from different peoples perspectives.  By the end it had ripped my heart out, whilst keeping my totally gripped. 

9/10 WB. 

Watch Good Kill, from an American point of view. Still a great film

1 hour ago, snowychap said:

Interesting

I think cinemas might struggle in general after Covid-19. 

I used to love going to the cinema as a teen and early 20's. Used to see everything that came out, but as the years went on, the behaviour of other people just annoyed me too much. Particularly the use of mobile phones in there. I'd rather watch a new release at home now. 

1 minute ago, Xela said:

Interesting

I used to love going to the cinema as a teen and early 20's. Used to see everything that came out, but as the years went on, the behaviour of other people just annoyed me too much. Particularly the use of mobile phones in there. I'd rather watch a new release at home now. 

Call me old but the number of teenagers i've nearly had the off with because of mobiles. haven't been for about 3 years for that particular reason. I get free tickets to for VUE.

2 hours ago, Xela said:

Interesting

I went a couple of times over Dec/Jan - middle of the day during the week and it was largely empty (about twenty in the first one and ten in the second).

No mobiles and virtually no sound (apart from a bit of popcorn). I was looking to go more often on that basis but the virus rather put paid to that.

2 hours ago, Xela said:

Interesting

The studios have been threatening this for years but the cinemas always seem to have the power to hold them off, odeon are owned by AMC who are the largest chain in the states (and funnily enough run the cinema in universal studios Hollywood) 

I personally don't understand the dvd market let alone the market for paying £15 for a digital download at home but then I haven't got kids and a trip to watch the latest marvel film doesn't push towards 3 figures, my patience with films has grown massively over the years, I can wait now until its obtainable via a streaming service 

39 minutes ago, snowychap said:

I went a couple of times over Dec/Jan - middle of the day during the week and it was largely empty (about twenty in the first one and ten in the second).

No mobiles and virtually no sound (apart from a bit of popcorn). I was looking to go more often on that basis but the virus rather put paid to that.

I used to have a membership at cine World and whilst at uni I had a morning lecture and then a 5pm lecture so did an early afternoon film every week, several times I was the only person in there

Brokeback mountain in a room with 4 other men also sat alone was a weird one 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, villa4europe said:

I used to have a membership at cine World and whilst at uni I had a morning lecture and then a 5pm lecture so did an early afternoon film every week, several times I was the only person in there

Brokeback mountain in a room with 4 other men also sat alone was a weird one 

Ha yeah I had almost exactly the same experience.

Â