The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

Watched "You were never really here" staring Joaquin Phoenix, and I loved every second of it. After it finished I wanted to see another hour of it. My type of film that, and Phoenix is incredible in it. Such a good performance. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PieFacE said:

Watched "You were never really here" staring Joaquin Phoenix, and I loved every second of it. After it finished I wanted to see another hour of it. My type of film that, and Phoenix is incredible in it. Such a good performance. 

Pretty much exactly my thoughts.

It was superb.

• Like 1

In anticipation of Meg I watched Deep Blue Sea 2

Haha my god that was a terrible movie, and I went in knowing it would be bad.

It is pretty much a rehash of the first movie (that was a bit entertaining at the time) but everything is just way, way worse.

Sharknado is a masterpiece compared to this because Sharknado is so bad it's entertaining.

This one is worse.

Although to be fair there is a scene towards the end where our protagonist "dive" into the water that is hilarious.. It contains 2 of the worst dives ever made in film.

A very generous 3/10 for that scene alone. Utter garbage. 

The Whistle Blower  (1986)

A very enjoyable film i thought  Two actors i like,Micheal Caine and Nigel Havers were in it so i had a feeling i might enjoy it 

Re-watched Adventureland last night and I still love that film.

I love the fact that its something of a period piece, a coming of age film and still has charm and melancholy in spades.

Its a role perfectly suited for a moody Kristen Stewart. Jesse Eissenberg is great as is Martin Starr prior to his Gilfoyle days and although slightly underused Bill Hader provides some great comedic moments.

Its a great film and highly recommended for anyone that hasn't seen it.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, AVFCDAN said:

Re-watched Adventureland last night and I still love that film.

I love the fact that its something of a period piece, a coming of age film and still has charm and melancholy in spades.

Its a role perfectly suited for a moody Kristen Stewart. Jesse Eissenberg is great as is Martin Starr prior to his Gilfoyle days and although slightly underused Bill Hader provides some great comedic moments.

Its a great film and highly recommended for anyone that hasn't seen it.

I love that film too. Tis awesome. Tend to watch it every couple of years.

• Like 1

Ready Player One last night , guess you could describe it as The Goonies meets Tron

Helps that I was a bit of an 80's game geek but I thought it was a decent film , yeah it's a kids movie essentially , but in the main that's what Spielberg does ... some good laugh out loud moments , few nods from people when they recognised a reference , reasonably entertaining in that even when it was predictable you didn't find your mind switching off due to the background stuff going on ...

I reckon it would stand up to repeated viewings when it gets to that age that  it's on ITV on a early Sunday evening

• Like 2

School For Unclaimed Girls   (1969)

Boy, I can remember watching this at the flicks when it came out. I was around 14 at the time and went to watch it with a couple of mates We went because we had heard it was full of nudity .It did contain some nude scenes but seems so tame now

• Like 1

Finally watched alien covenant

Not as bad as i thought it would be but its still annoyingly pointless, tries to add a story no one wants whilst at the same time ignoring or maybe even not knowing what made the first films great, theres no suspense, theres under developed characters with gruesome deaths but the star of the show the alien is cast aside for michael fassbender...i dont even think the action sequences are very good and the first 5 minutes you're shown something that you know is coming back (as well as that absolutely shocking no one could ever possibly see coming "twist")

Just give me aliens 2 already 

• Like 2

The Leisure Seeker is wonderfully moving. Helen Mirren and Don Sutherland complete inhabit their roles so well. **** the cynics who may call it manipulative. I don't care. Laughed and cried throughout. Cue the senir Chang god I know!

38 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

I watched American Psycho last night which was great, though the ending made my head hurt a bit.  I guess that was the whole idea, I normally don't like things that have an ambiguous ending but this was well done.

I’ve read an interview with the director who said she felt she made a slight mistake at the end of the film....

Spoiler

...in giving the audience the impression it was all in his head. Some of the events obviously are imagined, but not everything. The director thinks the conclusion gives the impression none of it really happened which wasn’t the intention.

Edited by Shropshire Lad

2 minutes ago, Shropshire Lad said:

I’ve read an interview with the director who said she felt she made a slight mistake at the end of the film....

Hide contents

...in giving the audience the impression it was all in his head. Some of the events obviously are imagined, but not everything. The director thinks the conclusion gives the impression none of it really happened which wasn’t the intention.

I guess it wasn't that well done then.  I might have a go at reading the book.

Â