The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

On 21/04/2018 at 18:52, Shropshire Lad said:

I’ve read an interview with the director who said she felt she made a slight mistake at the end of the film....

Hide contents

...in giving the audience the impression it was all in his head. Some of the events obviously are imagined, but not everything. The director thinks the conclusion gives the impression none of it really happened which wasn’t the intention.

I watched this about a week ago and came to the conclusion that it was all in his head.

It definitely wasn't in his head.

I think the book explains it much better from what I recall and is far less ambiguous.

**Edit** Director Mary Harron admitted that she buggered up the emphasis of the ending...

One thing I think is a failure on my part is people keep coming out of the film thinking that its all a dream, and I never intended that. All I wanted was to be ambiguous in the way that the book was. I think it's a failure of mine in the final scene because I just got the emphasis wrong. I should have left it more open ended. It makes it look like it was all in his head, and as far as I'm concerned, it's not.

Full article here

Edited by Designer1
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Designer1 said:

It definitely wasn't in his head.

I think the book explains it much better from what I recall and is far less ambiguous.

**Edit** Director Mary Harron admitted that she buggered up the emphasis of the ending...

Full article here

I've always wondered why she feels that way. I don't think the difference in emphasis is as massive as she made out in her interview on the subject, although it is more than a decade since I read the book. 

I think the ambiguity in the book was more 'he did a lot of ot but which bits did he actually do and what was real' whereas the film was more 'no, it was all a dream, and none of it was real'.

Like you though I haven't read it for years.

Edited by Designer1

Took a few people to the cinema today and they chose to watch 'Every Day'

I'd not heard anything about it but it was a very interesting story, very positive and all about acceptance.

It's a sort of YA sci-fi gentle comedy love story.

Aimed at an audience younger than most of us but still a nice message.

36 minutes ago, 8pints said:

Took a few people to the cinema today and they chose to watch 'Every Day'

I'd not heard anything about it but it was a very interesting story, very positive and all about acceptance.

It's a sort of YA sci-fi gentle comedy love story.

Aimed at an audience younger than most of us but still a nice message.

That is the first proper movie by the new/revamped standalone Orion Pictures team, Nice to see the old logo back & the film looks like something i will end up watching on a sunday afternoon on sky at some point

• Like 1

On 22/04/2018 at 13:57, theboyangel said:

Unlocked (starring noomi rapace) should’ve been named Uninteresting.

garbage spy/terrorist movie with multiple holes in the little plot there was. 

Atomic Blonde was a much better film of a similar ilk. 

Possibly the worst actress about. She offers nothing to a film

Watched the first Lake Placid tonight on Netflix. Havent seen it for over 10 years gotta be, hasn’t aged too badly tbh, some proper gory bits that I’d forgotten about. Silly, daft, cheesey but bloody great fun.

• Like 2

Saw Luc Besson's Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets with my wife the other night. I managed to convince her to watch it with the premise that it was to be in a very similar vein to The Fifth Element (same director + quirky sci fi). Must say that the plot and acting left a lot to desire, but visually it was absolutely stunning and made up for it completely. Luc Besson can really create these incredible worlds that you can get lost in. Would definitely recommend this movie on that basis alone snd can see it becoming a bit of a cult classic over time.

Infinity War reactions are out.

A little mixed, the main criticism seems to be that it is very much a first half of a story (which Marvel said they hoped to avoid) and that it is absolutely breakneck paced, which is no shock. But otherwise seems like Thanos is a very good villain, there's lots of great action, lots of character moments, good comedy.

Im sure i will really enjoy it but the rumoured ending really doesnt work for me 

Spoiler

Too many characters dying, everything at the moment points towards the 4th film being based on the time stone meaning that the impact of this film is already lost, 3/4 dying maybe but if black panther, spiderman, dr strange, star lord, black widow bite the bullet then i will instantly think its being reversed 

6 hours ago, osmark86 said:

Saw Luc Besson's Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets with my wife the other night. I managed to convince her to watch it with the premise that it was to be in a very similar vein to The Fifth Element (same director + quirky sci fi). Must say that the plot and acting left a lot to desire, but visually it was absolutely stunning and made up for it completely. Luc Besson can really create these incredible worlds that you can get lost in. Would definitely recommend this movie on that basis alone snd can see it becoming a bit of a cult classic over time.

Similar to Ridley Scott.

Great visionary but not so great on the script side of things.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AVFCDAN said:

Similar to Ridley Scott.

Great visionary but not so great on the script side of things.

must say that I really enjoyed the latest Alien movie even though it received a lot of flac from franchise fans. thought it was beautifully done with a nice tech representation (made it look very lofi for being in the far future) and visually it's stunning. also thought it was a solid musing on the stupidity of humanity, almost like a dark comedy.

• Like 1

Â