The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

5 hours ago, Xela said:

Finally!

Just checked my bookcase and I have a first edition US hardback version from 1997. Hopefully if the film is a huge hit it'll be worth something one day!

I left mine in the back of a cab one day , annoyingly i hadn’t quite finished the book and had to buy another copy just to read the last 8 or 9 pages 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Xela said:

Finally!

Just checked my bookcase and I have a first edition US hardback version from 1997. Hopefully if the film is a huge hit it'll be worth something one day!

I only read it a few years back. Read the sequel too, but it 'jumped the shark' a bit ;) so I stopped there. 

It's entertaining pulp fiction and I expect the movie to be the same. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Zatman said:

They can try as much as they want but I find it hard not to be entertained by a movie with The Rock or Jason Statham 

They achieved it in the Fast & Furious! 

5 hours ago, wazzap24 said:

I only read it a few years back. Read the sequel too, but it 'jumped the shark' a bit ;) so I stopped there. 

It's entertaining pulp fiction and I expect the movie to be the same. 

Looks like it doesn't take itself too seriously 

Plus has the added advantage of...

Spoiler

Li Bingbing

97cc8560006f90afd60996902a760aa0.jpg

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Shropshire Lad said:

Don’t think I’ve watched a single fast & furious film all the way through.

The first few were enjoyable, throwaway action films.

But they've become awful.

I was dragged to see Fast and Furious 6 at the cinema and it's one of the  worst films I've ever seen (at the cinema). I haven't bothered with any since then.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

The first few were enjoyable, throwaway action films.

But they've become awful.

I was dragged to see Fast and Furious 6 at the cinema and it's one of the  worst films I've ever seen (at the cinema). I haven't bothered with any since then.

You've only seen one of the three you're in?

If even stars of the films can't be bothered to see them I guess there's no more damning evidence of their quality.

I actually like them, I enjoy the 'switch-off-your-brain-ness' of them.

What I don't enjoy is having to deal with all the jokers who think they actually are in the films in their souped-up metros.

Edited by 8pints
spelling and sums....where did that 1 come from?
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, 8pints said:

You've only seen one of the three you're in?

If even stars of the films can't be bothered to see them I guess there's no more damning evidence of their quality.

There's too many baldies in those movies to know for sure who you're comparing me too ;) 

• Haha 3

On 4/2/2018 at 18:45, Chindie said:

I can't be bothered to go see Ready Player One, I've never heard a good thing about the book and the entire thing looks like the structure is literally 'Hey, remember *insert reference*?!... Hey, remember how cool *insert reference* was?!'.

Although perhaps ironically the only thing that could make me go see it is it has a Gundam in it.

The book was the best (most fun & page-turning) book i've read this decade.  

On 4/3/2018 at 21:07, Stevo985 said:

Saw the trailer for Infinity War at the cinema last night and, predictably, I thought it looked absolutely shite.

Which is a shame as I actually liked the first two.

I'm expecting the film to be poor, as i can't imagine how they are going to cope with so many characters in the film.
But i thought the trailer actually looked decent - The bit where you see Thanos gave me goosebumps.

Loved the first Avengers film, didn't like the second one. 

Edited by ender4

On 4/2/2018 at 13:58, wazzap24 said:

I really enjoyed Ready Player One, it was quality. 

I watched Ready Player One in 4DX, and its the best film i've seen in 4DX. 

Its like 4DX was made for this film, or maybe this film was made for 4DX.

A bit where blood splatters onscreen, and you get splattered with blood in your face was great. 
Plus the best smells i've experienced in 4DX - better than the usual smell of "gunpowder" from multiple explosions in other action 4DX films.

also the best motion compared to other 4DX films.

• Like 1

Still waiting on my DVD of Blade Runner 2049 from Sky. Missed it at the cinema (gutted) so have waited for my DVD as I have to watch films with subtitles (annoying habit) so can't watch the free download they gave of it to me via Sky Store. Everyone has given it rave reviews so I really don't want to be disappointed.

It's a beautiful film, some of the best cinenamtography and visuals that I've seen in a long time, wish I'd seen it in imax, it's long sometimes suffers from lingering shots and pauses, took a long time to get going and didn't really hook me until over half way through but I liked the ending

7/10 for me

Just watched The Florida Project. It was definitely a fantastic film - one of the best I’ve seen in a while - but I don’t think I could watch it again. It’s a very bleak, uncomfortable watch. Incredibly sad and ultimately very depressing given that it’s probably so true to life.

8 hours ago, JB said:

Just watched The Florida Project. It was definitely a fantastic film - one of the best I’ve seen in a while - but I don’t think I could watch it again. It’s a very bleak, uncomfortable watch. Incredibly sad and ultimately very depressing given that it’s probably so true to life.

I concur, totally.  Wonderful performance by the little girl, in fact, by all the kids. Considering the woman who played the little girl's mother, was making her acting debut, I thought she was terrific, also. Nice to see William Defoe, showing how generous an actor he is.

Just a shame, it never got the recognition, that it so much deserved, at the Oscars. Only Defoe was nominated for his performance. 

Â