The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

4 hours ago, Chindie said:

I can't be bothered to go see Ready Player One, I've never heard a good thing about the book and the entire thing looks like the structure is literally 'Hey, remember *insert reference*?!... Hey, remember how cool *insert reference* was?!'.

Although perhaps ironically the only thing that could make me go see it is it has a Gundam in it.

I thought the book was ok, but large parts of it were just lists of 80's/90's pop references and it got a bit tedious.

Funnily enough all I could think when I read it was "this would make a brilliant film"

But sounds like it hasn't quite frankly. From what I've heard, it seems they've put loads of references and characters in there but made a really bad job of having those characters do what those characters would do... if that makes sense? They're just there for the sake of it.

On 20/03/2018 at 09:28, Designer1 said:

This looks like it could be a cracker...

imaginative-hobbyist-aquietplace.jpg?151

Plus, you know...Emily Blunt :wub:

Out on the 5th April.

Saw this tonight. Guess it was a preview if it's not out until 5th.

Anyway, it was very good indeed. Has its faults, but I really enjoyed it.

Did an excellent job of being incredibly tense without relying on the usual "quiet quiet BANG" that your usual scary film would rely on. There is some of that, don't get me wrong, but there's more to it.

• Like 1

You know how every actress has that one film where you just go bloody hell look at her.

Watching I now pronounce you Chuck and Larry on Netflix last night and that's definitely the one for Jessica Biel.

12 hours ago, villa4europe said:

All eyez on me

Its shite, really poor writing and skims over so much rather than just focusing on 2 or 3 things and nailing them, biggest disappointment is musically its a massive mistep too, after notorious and straight outta compton he should have a much bigger film

Apparently  they were refused permission to play Tupac's music. Your right though,  terrible film.

They played a bit of it, not sure if the 30 seconds for free (or whatever it is) rule exists in the movie world

It was more the way they did a little bit of story on his mom visiting him in prison and they say about how much they love each other so they play dear mama, they did something on him not actually hating women and then played keep ya head up, it was horribly forced

Trying to think how notorious did it, for juicy i think they just had puff daddy play him the sample he smashes the first couple of lines maybe even throws in if yiu dont know well now you know n*gger and thats it, same with straight outta compton even with the way that film used tupac and california love

Re-watched the 2nd Avengers movie because at some point I know I'll watch the new ones and I had forgotten pretty much everything about Age of Ultron other than that I remembered it being rather boring.

And while it's not a bad movie, turns out it is still boring.

I thought the 1st Avengers movie was pretty entertaining, but this one is not for me.

Saw the trailer for Infinity War at the cinema last night and, predictably, I thought it looked absolutely shite.

Which is a shame as I actually liked the first two.

After thor i dont really trust the trailer editing anymore i expect there to be a yellow stone in the gauntlet when we see some of those scenes properly, the film depends on a few things for me, thanos' gang of 4 have to hit the ground running, the big wakanda battle has to be more than faceless baddies getting smashed to bits, the end has to be meaningful, the missing stone that hasnt been shown so far needs a non bullshit explanation  

The screen time and bringing together the various elements i actually think they will do ok with, although im not sure how much they will gloss over the red stone that the collector has or the purple one that was at the end of GotG1, they dont fit with the rest of the film on paper 

Edited by villa4europe

5 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

After thor i dont really trust the trailer editing anymore i expect there to be a yellow stone in the gauntlet when we see some of those scenes properly, the film depends on a few things for me, thanos' gang of 4 have to hit the ground running, the big wakanda battle has to be more than faceless baddies getting smashed to bits, the end has to be meaningful, the missing stone that hasnt been shown so far needs a non bullshit explanation  

The screen time and bringing together the various elements i actually think they will do ok with, although im not sure how much they will gloss over the red stone that the collector has or the purple one that was at the end of GotG1, they dont fit with the rest of the film on paper 

It’s my theory that the yellow stone has actually been seen in the MCU, just not announced....The story in Black Panther of the meteor, I can’t see any other reason why that was needed in the film if it’s not the Soul Stone. It would make sense as to how they get so much power from meteor and how Black Panther can go to the spirit world. It would also explain why the battles in the trailer appear to be on Wakanda.

Agree about the two other stones, it’ll be like “fools you tried to lock away two stones, but I have already taken these”, everyone (avengers/gotg etc) will be shocked, but no questions will be asked.

Karla (2006)

Not one of the best movies i have ever watched but certainly one that will a stay in the memory . By accounts the film is a true life story of a guy who preys on woman and rapes them ,while his wife knows all about what he is up to and saying or doing nothing about it.

watched Salyut 7 the other night (on Amazon prime)

pissed me off that they use the tagline "The true story of the Soviet Apollo 13"  but other than that it's hard to fault as a film ... no idea what budget they worked to but they did a fine job on the special effects IMO , wee bit of artistic license as to be expected (space shuttle scene) but fairly true story by all accounts 

end credits showed the real cosmonauts wife wasn't quite the babe the film portrayed her to be , but probably for the best  :) 

worth a watch for all you prime users though

On 22/08/2017 at 12:54, wazzap24 said:

I love a cheesy disaster movie too. San Andreas is ok, I always find the Rock strangely watchable,  even though most of his films are a bit ropey. 

Not a disaster movie as such, but in the similar vein of being potentially shite......

I'm unashamedly looking forward to 'Meg' next summer. 

Based on books by Steve Alten, a 'Megalodon' shark somehow manages to survive in the Marina Trench and ends up back in normal waters......

I wouldn't describe the books as 'good' by any means, but ever since Jaws as a kid, I've been terrified/fascinated by sharks, so a film with a shark the size of a couple of double decker buses appeals to me! 

I'd have loved a proper big budget blockbuster, but its got Jason Statham in, so I'm hoping that means they spent all the dough on effects :D

Anyway, who doesn't want to see a film that might contain a scene like this....

A0A47982-0231-4E97-BFC4-CD8410EF3BF5-5503-000004854F62E10B.jpeg

It's. Happening.

Stick Avengers up your poo pipe, this is THE blockbuster of 2018

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

part of me thinks what the **** is he doing anywhere near that film but it could actually be a really good move for him, chinese box office was bigger than the US for the 1st time ever in Q1 of this year, timing could be perfect for him

Just watched Cloverfield for about the 4th time.

1. I've only just realised TJ Miller is the man behind the camera 

2. It needs a proper sequel. I like the 'sequels that aren't sequels', but it really does deserve a proper linear follow up.

"It's still alive" 

Edited by wazzap24
  • Like 1

On 03/04/2018 at 09:45, AVFCDAN said:

You know how every actress has that one film where you just go bloody hell look at her.

Watching I now pronounce you Chuck and Larry on Netflix last night and that's definitely the one for Jessica Biel.

The pain of having to watch Chuck and Larry just to get a look at Jessica Biel. No, thanks.

9 hours ago, wazzap24 said:

It's. Happening.

Stick Avengers up your poo pipe, this is THE blockbuster of 2018

Finally!

Just checked my bookcase and I have a first edition US hardback version from 1997. Hopefully if the film is a huge hit it'll be worth something one day!

• Like 2

Â