The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

25 minutes ago, Ingram85 said:

Veronica - Spanish horror on netflix. Superb. Different kind of film entirely but up there with the first Rec in the quality stakes. 

I thought it had potential but ended up very average and nothing that I hadn't seen quite a few times before. Good performances though.

Nowhere near Rec 1 or 2 for me.

10 hours ago, Rodders said:

Tomb Raider was the best video game adaptation I can think of, off the top of my head - though that is set against a hugely low bar

We've done this one multiple times I'm sure, so I won't get in to what I think is the best - but I will say that bar will be raised significantly when Detective Picachu arrives on our screens! 

BkP31mX.gif

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, AVFCDAN said:

The Big Sick - such a brilliant little film, everyone is great here especially Ray Romano as the dad.

Absolutely loved that movie :thumb:

I'm not a Wes Anderson fan, at all. His films, for me, fall into three brackets. The fist is 'I watched it and didn't necessarily mind it, but don't ever really want to see it again' (Royal Tenenbaums, Grand Budapest Hotel), the second is 'I haven't seen it, and it looks mildly interesting so I might watch it on an aeroplane, but probably not' (Life Aquatic, Darjeeling Limited, Moonrise Kingdom) and the third is 'I saw it and hated it' (Fantastic Mr Fox), so I wasn't particularly looking forward to Isle of Dogs, especially since it looks on the surface to have a lot in common with Fantastic Mr Fox. What a surprise, then, that I absolutely loved it! So creative, so heartfelt, great music, just an all-round fun time at the cinema. Very confusing. 

• Like 1

Watched Molly's Game last night. They did a good job of telling quite a dull story and making it seem semi interesting, but not really sure the story deserved its own film.

Edited by PieFacE

I can't be bothered to go see Ready Player One, I've never heard a good thing about the book and the entire thing looks like the structure is literally 'Hey, remember *insert reference*?!... Hey, remember how cool *insert reference* was?!'.

Although perhaps ironically the only thing that could make me go see it is it has a Gundam in it.

23 minutes ago, Chindie said:

I can't be bothered to go see Ready Player One, I've never heard a good thing about the book and the entire thing looks like the structure is literally 'Hey, remember *insert reference*?!... Hey, remember how cool *insert reference* was?!'.

Although perhaps ironically the only thing that could make me go see it is it has a Gundam in it.

In fairness I thought it was quite a bit more than that. 

Yeah it is absolutely crammed with pop culture from past and present, but personally I found the actual story engaging throughout. It's not what you think imo, the whole PC thing is woven into the fabric of the film. 

I thought it was really decent 

On 31/03/2018 at 22:25, stuart_75 said:

LA 92 on Netflix.

Wow....some of the footage left me speechless.

Thank you. I watched this today and it is incredible. It's hard to watch at times, but the story it tells, the way the news footage forces you to make those links in your own head, how it forces you to think and join up the narrative is amazing. Absolutely brilliant film making.

(Oh, and it's also on youtube at the moment)

12 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Thank you. I watched this today and it is incredible. It's hard to watch at times, but the story it tells, the way the news footage forces you to make those links in your own head, how it forces you to think and join up the narrative is amazing. Absolutely brilliant film making.

(Oh, and it's also on youtube at the moment)

Also how the quality of the footage telling the story without any narration is a testament to how good it is.

• Like 1

All eyez on me

Its shite, really poor writing and skims over so much rather than just focusing on 2 or 3 things and nailing them, biggest disappointment is musically its a massive mistep too, after notorious and straight outta compton he should have a much bigger film

Â