The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

23 hours ago, sne said:

Netflix horror movie The Ritual.

Not terrible take on the "people in isolated places meets unknown horror" genre.

Group of Brits goes to Scandinavia to hike and things get strange. Based on a novel.

Pretty accurate depiction of northern Sweden and it's people IMO.

My favorite somewhat similar movie to this is The Descent 

Reveal hidden contents

although The Ritual borrows from lots of different stories like Silent Hill, The Hills have eyes, King Kong :D and many many more

It’s not on Netflix in the UK? Weird. 

1 hour ago, Ingram85 said:

It’s not on Netflix in the UK? Weird. 

I looked into this when I watched it last week and it seems that it was released about 4 months ago in the UK and has only just reached the US. I can only assume its no longer available on our Netflix which is weird

1 hour ago, AVFCDAN said:

I looked into this when I watched it last week and it seems that it was released about 4 months ago in the UK and has only just reached the US. I can only assume its no longer available on our Netflix which is weird

its worth seeking out however, really good horror film with some genuinely unsettling parts

On 12/02/2018 at 14:21, sne said:

Netflix horror movie The Ritual.

Not terrible take on the "people in isolated places meets unknown horror" genre.

Group of Brits goes to Scandinavia to hike and things get strange. Based on a novel.

Pretty accurate depiction of northern Sweden and it's people IMO.

My favorite somewhat similar movie to this is The Descent 

Reveal hidden contents

although The Ritual borrows from lots of different stories like Silent Hill, The Hills have eyes, King Kong :D and many many more

Descent scared the shit out of me so I'll watch this one with the missus so she doesn't get too scared. 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 1

Den of thieves tonight 

you can see it’s heavily influenced by Heat and the usual suspects but was a decent enough heist film , been waiting a while for Butler to make a second good film after 300 and finally he’s delivered 

Best heist film I’ve seen this year so far , so worth seeing 

4 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

A friend of mine is currently working on a Scorsese movie here in New York.

Deniro, Pacino and Joe Pesci. Safe to say it's a gangsta movie :D

That would be “The Irishman”.

Also has Harvey Keitel, Stephen Graham and funnily enough Ray Romano. Just missing Leo to be the complete Scorsese film.

The only other thing I’ve seen about it is De Niro being pictured wearing these rather nifty shoes -

D3DCF25F-D370-4635-B92E-904CA3ACA64E.jpeg

Edited by Shropshire Lad
  • Like 1

I watched Patriots Day yesterday.

Honestly, the combination of 'MURICA and Mark Wahlberg  made me apprehensive but it was actually pretty decent. They spliced in real footage from the attacks very well and it was really quite emotional in places.

Got a bit too cheesy in parts, Wahlberg's monologue near the end being a prime example. But it was a pretty enjoyable movie.

Watched 'Last Flag Flying' last night with the better half. Richard Linklater film, billed as a comedy but it really isn't. What it is is a lovely little film though. Simple. Nothing flashy, but thought provoking and well constructed even if the script is a bit lacking when he isn't trying to make a point. Solid 7/10 for me.

41 minutes ago, wazzap24 said:

The love for Black Panther is real.

Reports of standing ovations and cheering - at UK cinemas. That's quite something. 

I'm hyped. 

It does sound like one of the few superhero comicbook movies that won't be total shite.

I might even go and see it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

It does sound like one of the few superhero comicbook movies that won't be total shite.

I might even go and see it.

Its a decent marvel movie, nothing more, if taken on its own merits. Probably a 7 maybe 7.5 out of 10. They it has been marketed and pushed however are very similair to Wonderwoman in that a lot of its short comings will be ignored.

It has a very good cast and a lot of strong preformances. Boseman is very good in the lead. Jordan had the makings of one of the better marvel villians till the story let him down badly.

The action is weak at times and the fighting scenes are poor in general and suffer from far to much CGI and seem to lack any punch or impact. Martin Freeman is jarring with an American accent. The humour is more gentle and not as strong as previous films.

All in all it sits about the Doctor Strange level for me on the Marvel scale at the moment. Far below the Winter Soldier, Thor Ragnorock and Guardians.

8 hours ago, heffoman said:

Its a decent marvel movie, nothing more, if taken on its own merits. Probably a 7 maybe 7.5 out of 10. They it has been marketed and pushed however are very similair to Wonderwoman in that a lot of its short comings will be ignored.

It has a very good cast and a lot of strong preformances. Boseman is very good in the lead. Jordan had the makings of one of the better marvel villians till the story let him down badly.

The action is weak at times and the fighting scenes are poor in general and suffer from far to much CGI and seem to lack any punch or impact. Martin Freeman is jarring with an American accent. The humour is more gentle and not as strong as previous films.

All in all it sits about the Doctor Strange level for me on the Marvel scale at the moment. Far below the Winter Soldier, Thor Ragnorock and Guardians.

"Far below the Winter Soldier"

urgh.

Â