The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

3 hours ago, Ingram85 said:

..... and it’s a load of rubbish.

I laughed because I thought you meant the rumour was a load of rubbish. 

I cant believe they have really dropped it on there out of nowhere like that! Mental.

It's getting some mixed reactions, but apparently it answers quite a few questions from the first? 

Edited by wazzap24

10 hours ago, sheepyvillian said:

Had the pleasure of seeing Calvary, again on iPlayer. For me it's nothing Short of a masterpiece, with Gleeson in magnificent form, ( a Villa fan too ) the way the film deals with such weighty issues is a lesson in life.  

Only seen it once when it came out but I still think it has become one of my all-time favourite modern films. Superb. Both Mcdonagh brothers have produced classics as it was the other one who did 3 Billboards and In Bruges I think wasn't it?

6 hours ago, Ingram85 said:

..... and it’s a load of rubbish.

Was it really that bad? It seems to be getting slated by critics, but user reviews are ok?

I love Cloverfield and the 10 Cloverfield Lane movie.

5 minutes ago, wazzap24 said:

Was it really that bad? It seems to be getting slated by critics, but user reviews are ok?

I love Cloverfield and the 10 Cloverfield Lane movie.

I thought it was pap. Wasn’t interesting, thought I was watching two different films at the same time. 

I think I just wanted a proper CF2 and it’s obvious I’m never getting it. It’s now one of those very loosely connected stories style anthology series like V/H/S or Twilight Zone but with a franchise weirdly shoehorned in.

Edited by Ingram85

2 hours ago, Zatman said:

this could be good or awful, McBride is another unfunny actor though rest of cast is interesting. I assume Crowe playing Rupert Murdoch

I think its a spoof

3 hours ago, Zatman said:

this could be good or awful, McBride is another unfunny actor though rest of cast is interesting. I assume Crowe playing Rupert Murdoch

I think it sjust an advert for the Australian Tourist Board. Seriously. Which is a damn shame cos I would have watched the heck out of it!

7 hours ago, Rodders said:

Only seen it once when it came out but I still think it has become one of my all-time favourite modern films. Superb. Both Mcdonagh brothers have produced classics as it was the other one who did 3 Billboards and In Bruges I think wasn't it?

I didn't know about the brother thing, but, yeah, I loved Bruges, also, another fine Gleeson performance, he's definitely up there as one of my favorite actors. Tbh, I thought his performance in Calgary was worthy of an Oscar, he absolutely nailed it. The script was also worthy of honours. Some great memorable lines. I loved when he said to his fellow, inept, priest, " I don't hate you, you just have no integrity, and I couldn't think of a worse thing to say to somebody ". The way he delivers them lines is just perfection.

4 hours ago, Ingram85 said:

I thought it was pap. Wasn’t interesting, thought I was watching two different films at the same time. 

I think I just wanted a proper CF2 and it’s obvious I’m never getting it. It’s now one of those very loosely connected stories style anthology series like V/H/S or Twilight Zone but with a franchise weirdly shoehorned in.

Yeah, I hadn't given up hope on a 'proper' sequel. Matt Reeves and JJ hinted at it a few times, there was talk of another take on the same story being told from another POV, which might have been pretty cool. 

I just want to see what happened after 'It's still alive'! 

It's a shame this new one sounds crap,  although 10 Cloverfield Lane wasn't a proper sequel, it was still a good film. 

2 hours ago, TheMelvillan said:

I think it sjust an advert for the Australian Tourist Board. Seriously. Which is a damn shame cos I would have watched the heck out of it!

4 hours ago, Xela said:

I think its a spoof

with the way movies is I expected another unnecessary reboot :P

clever ad then though cost a fortune

20 hours ago, sheepyvillian said:

Had the pleasure of seeing Calvary, again on iPlayer. For me it's nothing Short of a masterpiece, with Gleeson in magnificent form, ( a Villa fan too ) the way the film deals with such weighty issues is a lesson in life.  

Have you watched “The Guard”? Same director and Glesson again (along with a lot of the supporting cast from “Calvary”).

Much more of a comedy, but there are some pretty good “quiet” moments with a bit of depth to them. Probably a closer relative to “In Bruges” in tone, it’s very knowing and self aware and a lot of fun.

Â