The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

11 minutes ago, Xela said:

Fell asleep last night watching Ghost in the Shell and no, it wasn't a post wank snooze. 

I was so bored with that film.... struggled to stay awake and interested in it!

attempted to get through Justice League too but found it completely unwatchable so so poor visually, script wise and badly acted.

how was it ever releases looking like that?

Thor Ragnarok tonight.

Not quite as good as I’d hoped with Waititi at the helm and how much I love all of his other movies. However, I still thought it was bloody great. I’m not a fan of Marvel movies but it’s easily the best that I’ve seen and grew on me as it went on. Great fun and I could tell that Waititi was having a blast, even though there were a few concessions that I can imagine he would have had to have made. Highly recommended even for non-comic book fans. 

Watched a fair few films over the weekend

Harold and Kumar - Classic. About the 10th time I've seen it.

Accepted - early Jonah Hill film (I think it even pre-dates Superbad, although he looks older in this (and fatter). But it's pretty shit. The whole premise of the film is utterly ludicrous. I know that shouldn't matter in a comedy like this but I just couldn't get it out of my head the whole way through.

Rush - I was of the understanding that this was really good. It wasn't. Very disappointed.

Spring Breakers - superb. Not what I expected at all, very dark, but I liked it a lot

Baby Driver - first time I've watched it since seeing it at the cinema. Still brilliant.

2 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Watched a fair few films over the weekend

Harold and Kumar - Classic. About the 10th time I've seen it.

Agreed - it never gets old. Just a standard buddy comedy really but just nails the chemistry and the cameo from NPH is great. The Christmas film was a bit of a let down but is a good alternative Christmas film at least.

Accepted - early Jonah Hill film (I think it even pre-dates Superbad, although he looks older in this (and fatter). But it's pretty shit. The whole premise of the film is utterly ludicrous. I know that shouldn't matter in a comedy like this but I just couldn't get it out of my head the whole way through.

Yeah it was bad and did pre-date Super bad. Amazing to think he slimmed down for that film!

Rush - I was of the understanding that this was really good. It wasn't. Very disappointed.

Spring Breakers - superb. Not what I expected at all, very dark, but I liked it a lot

Yeah really good, James Franco was great as the unhinged guy and the visuals/music used definitely added to the film.

Baby Driver - first time I've watched it since seeing it at the cinema. Still brilliant.

9 minutes ago, AVFCDAN said:

It's amazing how much older Hill looks in Accepted than Superbad. Maybe it's just the weight loss. 

(yeah I know, it's a movie, they're good at making people look older/younger)

Watched Sin City 2 last night.

As expected it is pretty much a worse version of the first one. Still looks very much Frank Miller, but nothing is quite as good as in the first one and the characters no not as developed as in the first one.

On the plus side you get see Eva Green nude, but then again you always do.

6/10 WB

Went to see Shape of Water over the weekend and as expected it's a very good movie indeed.

However, I do feel it's been massively overhyped by the media and definitely isn't the 'masterpiece' that many critics have stated.

I'm a huge fan of del Torro but this falls short of the greatness of Devil's Backbone and Pan's Labyrinth in terms or storytelling and overall visual style.

Don't get me wrong, it's an incredibly well put together piece of work, really well directed and the acting is superb all round with a fantastic cast on top form, it's also about time Sally Hawkins got more exposure (which she certainly does here...;)

Ultimately though something just didn't click with me which meant it fell short of greatness.

So yeah, 3 Billboards still holds my Film of the Year in 2018 title for now.

• Thanks 1

Got free ticket to Black Panther today so went and saw it.

Probably shouldn't have watched this before... Became a bit like watching King Arthur/Excalibur after watching The Holy Grail

There are some glaring similarities with Coming to America/ The Lion King and pretty much any given superhero movie.

Always fun to see the American take on Africa and it's imaginary countries and royalty 

It's a visual CGI-fest for the eye but other than that it's more of the same which I guess is great if you're into that stuff.

6/10 Not bad for a matinee flick. For me it was a bit long, but that's probably because I'm not invested in the story. Honestly thought it was a bit boring.

Much much better than the abortion of a film that was the first Captain America flick, but not nearly as entertaining as the first The Avengers, Guardians of the Galaxy or Deadpool films IMO.

Hard to tell but I think the kid might have made a travel violation for the lay-up in one of the final scenes which kinda ruined the whole movie for me :D Just not realistic.

Edited by sne

Been a while since I’ve posted here and I’ve seen a few films lately:

Phantom Thread - Admittedly not my sort of film and aside from There Will Be Blood I think P.T. Anderson films are a bit crap and disappear entirely up their own arses. This film was no different though not entirely unenjoyable. It did outstay it’s welcome though and I thought it was going to end at one point before it carried on for another twenty minutes or so. Pretty silly story, DDL was pretty good and it did make me think a little afterwards, but not for me.

The Shape Of Water - I’m a GDT fan and I did enjoy this, though I felt on a couple of occasions it lost its way a bit. I felt the ‘escape’ happened too early in the story which messed with the pacing of the film up and made it feel like it went on too long. I also felt the relationship blossomed pretty damn rapidly and unrealistically. I know realism isn’t exactly top of the agenda here, but the relationship is meant to be grounded in some form of reality to make it somewhat relatable, but it was almost love at first sight with a sea monster. Looked and sounded great and I enjoyed it, but nowhere near as good as Pan’s Labyrinth. 

Black Panther - A decent Marvel film but no more. I’m a comic book fan and enjoy the movies for the most part but even I’m getting bored of them now. I don’t really get the hype to be honest and the cynic in me is starting to think the black angle is what’s bumping the review scores up a bit. It’s not bad, and the setting and urban culture vibe definitely provide something different from other recent Marvel films, but it’s still nothing special. Not to mention the first big action scene is at night and you can barely see it and it’s WAY too CGI heavy; the rhinos being particularly rubbish and considering the hero and villain trade physical blows, why make it a CGI fight? It cheapened the film, somewhat ironically considering I bet it cost a fair whack to produce.

Saw black panther tonight , I’m guessing it was true to the origins of the character / comic so it needed to be told as it was but **** me was it boring for the first hour or so ... eventually livened up a bit but all in all that’s probably the weakest marvel one yet , not even having the French guy as the ignorant one in the end credits saved it :)

And  the Stan Lee cameo , it was amusing the first 98 times now it’s just getting irritating 

Â