The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

3 hours ago, hogso said:

I love Loach. I've often wondered why our town doesn't do a bit more to put his name about, we only ever hear about old George with regards to our greatest exports, but I'd suggest he is as important on the global stage. As far as I know there's nothing anywhere that would tell you he's from here. Nothing in the museum, none of those fancy blue placard things. Or perhaps that is at his request. 

Here's a really nice interview with him conducted at the new Nuneaton Town ground, he talks about his memories of football at the old ground, his childhood, his career, amongst other things. You really get a taste for how all of his experiences shaped his body of work in various ways. 

i always assumed he was northern. Had no idea he was from Nuneaton!

Justice League

Christ it’s boring. Aqua man pointless no real perception of danger to anyone so you don’t care what’s happening either. Lots of people with 2 minutes of screen time on the sidelines who you couldn’t give a stuff about.

Once again the DC franchises giving us a lesson in how not to do comic book films.

• Like 2

My Friend Dahmer

Very good performance from the young kid playing Jeffrey and the film essentially hangs on this.

You could say its a bit kind to him for what is essentially a very disturbed person but the film actually focuses on his personal and school life leading up to his first murder and ends just before this happens. I'm already very au fait with what he did from that point onwards so this was an interesting timeline for me and allowed the film to be something of a childhood period piece with a underlying dark twist as this is no ordinary teenager in the late 70's.

Recommended.

Finally decided to watch Bright despite everything bad I've read about it and that I really can't stand Will Smith.

I't wasn't really THAT bad (as in it wasn't probably the worst film of the year), it's just not very good. Feel they missed an opportunity to make something that might have been interesting. 5/10  

Basically it was as if a 12 y.o Guillermo Del Toro had made Bad Boys after having watched Alien Nation and read a bit of Tolkien and replaced Martin Lawrence with an Orc (good call that as Lawrence is annoying as hell).

The usual California odd couple cop movie but with fangs. 48 Hours goes to Hobbit Land if you will.

Smith plays the exact same character he plays in most of his movies, and as a result I had to fight the urge to turn it off for the first 25 minutes or so. Swede Noomi Rapeass plays the baddie so I guess that's fun.

Saw the is a sequel coming, also saw the is a sequel to Bad Boys coming.

What a time to be alive.

10 minutes ago, sne said:

Finally decided to watch Bright despite everything bad I've read about it and that I really can't stand Will Smith.

Notoriously panned film with a lead actor who you cant stand, you must be a glutton for punishment :D

18 minutes ago, AVFCDAN said:

Notoriously panned film with a lead actor who you cant stand, you must be a glutton for punishment :D

That I am, but then again being a Villa fan is a dead giveaway :D

On 2/10/2018 at 16:51, hogso said:

Cannibal Holocaust - the original and best. Rec and The Poughkeepsie Tapes are good too, in fact there's segments from the V/H/S series which are excellent as well. 

Megan is Missing isn't really one I would recommend, it's not a great movie, but holy shit does it stay with you. Utterly harrowing. 

Hell House LLC and As above, So below both great Found Footage movies too. If you like that kind of thing. Though I have found that people who dislike FF movies reeaallly dislike FF movies

Netflix horror movie The Ritual.

Not terrible take on the "people in isolated places meets unknown horror" genre.

Group of Brits goes to Scandinavia to hike and things get strange. Based on a novel.

Pretty accurate depiction of northern Sweden and it's people IMO.

My favorite somewhat similar movie to this is The Descent 

Spoiler

although The Ritual borrows from lots of different stories like Silent Hill, The Hills have eyes, King Kong :D and many many more

The Mercy - all a bit meh really. With Girth Weiss and Thewlis you can't fault the cast but this dramatization of a true life attempt to sail the world was missing that indefinable element to pull it together.  Not bad but save it for the telly rather than the big screen I reckon.

19 hours ago, theboyangel said:

Wasn’t expecting much from the live action version of Ghost in the Shell but my god, it’s bloody boring....

totally screwed the pooch on this one. 

that film and Lucy showed that there is only so much you can do with Scarlett Johansson's arse when you don't have a decent script  ...

• Haha 1

I watched Wind River last night. Good film.

During the film I said to my gf that the soundtrack could be on a Nick Cave album, then googled to see who did the music...

Spoiler

It was Nick Cave and Warren Ellis

Know your favourite artists.

Edited by PieFacE
  • Like 2

Â