The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

5 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I hope not.

That would make it really REALLY weak.

I agree. Marvel's made some poor movies. Iron Man 2 is more or less irredeemable. Hence why saying this is their weakest is exceptionally lonely to be hyperbole. Especially when every reviewer going had mentioned this deals with problems the series has had successfully.

But people will insist on doing to see things they know they won't like.

11 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I hope not.

That would make it really REALLY weak.

It is / was

probably not helped by it being the 3D version I saw which made some of the fight scenes a little uneasy on the eye 

17 minutes ago, Chindie said:

I agree. Marvel's made some poor movies. Iron Man 2 is more or less irredeemable. Hence why saying this is their weakest is exceptionally lonely to be hyperbole. Especially when every reviewer going had mentioned this deals with problems the series has had successfully.

But people will insist on doing to see things they know they won't like.

I get you’re a fan and can be a tad sensitive to criticism to the marvel universe  but I  fail to see why that means I can’t like it ... i’d read  the reviews I was expecting a bit more from it , I found it a bit dull , the plot rather weak and obvious ( though I accept its a superhero film so that isn’t unique to BP ) ... I didn’t go in thinking I’ll go and see this film just so I can hate it and write a review on VT , i went to see it with high expectations , perhaps that was part of the problem 

@Stevo985 didn’t particually  rate Deadpool i don’t recall seeing him being criticised for having that view 

Edited by tonyh29

33 minutes ago, Chindie said:

Typical hyperbole.

It won't be the weakest they've done. 

Haven't seen it yet myself, but it does seem that the critics have enjoyed it more than the public.

A friend of mine (whose judgment is usually decent) said it was his least favourite Marvel movie since Iron Man 2.

6 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

I get your’e a fan boy and react badly to any criticism to the marvel universe  but I  fail to see why that means I can’t like it ... i’d read  the reviews I was expecting a bit more from it , I found it a bit dull , the plot rather weak and obvious ( though I accept its a superhero film so that isn’t unique to BP ) ... I didn’t go in thinking I’ll go and see this film just so I can hate it and write a review in VT , i went to see it with high expectations , perhaps that was part of the problem 

@Stevo985 didn’t particually  rate Deadpool i don’t recall seeing him being criticised for having that view 

You can stop the fanboy stuff right away. I can criticise it. The post you quoted states Iron Man 2 is a irredeemable. That Marvel have made weaker movies. Attack the point not me.

It's just absurd hyperbole to say it's their weakest. Ironically the kind of thing a bummed fanboy would say. Worst. Mahvel. Evar. 

Where that the case, the reviews would have slaughtered it, the backlash from the fans palpable. Instead it's near glowing. Only critiques really coming from people who just don't like the series and like to let people know.

Why is it the weakest? What in it is worse than Iron Man 2? Worse than Incredible Hulk? Worse than Thor the Dark World?

It's fine to not like it, to not rate it, but the hyperbole makes you look daft.

Just now, Designer1 said:

Haven't seen it yet myself, but it does seem that the critics have enjoyed it more than the public.

A friend of mine (whose judgment is usually decent) said it was his least favourite Marvel movie since Iron Man 2.

I’ll be honest I can’t really remember iron man 2 so it’s possible it is the worse one , rather than BP. 

1 minute ago, Designer1 said:

I haven't either, personal issues getting in the way, but that hasn't been my experience of people's thoughts. Some haven't said they like it as much as the critics, but literally the only poor reviews I've seen have come from people who knew they wouldn't like it going in.

But as said, I've no issue with people disliking it, is no soon off my nose (**** the fanboy nonsense). Calling it the weakest? Stinks of hyperbole.

Just now, Chindie said:

I haven't either, personal issues getting in the way, but that hasn't been my experience of people's thoughts. Some haven't said they like it as much as the critics, but literally the only poor reviews I've seen have come from people who knew they wouldn't like it going in.

But as said, I've no issue with people disliking it, is no soon off my nose (**** the fanboy nonsense). Calling it the weakest? Stinks of hyperbole.

Yeah i was very surprised as he's a big Marvel fan and very invested in the universe.

He pointed out quite a few issues, but his main criticism was that he found Boseman to be something of a charisma vacuum.

For me the first Captain America film is by far the worst they've made.

That one is painful to the point I managed about 40 minutes before turning it off. I did see it later on because I heard the follow up, Winter Soldier was pretty good.

So I sat through it and managed the whole film on the second attempt, but boy it's terrible.

Edited by sne

It is different in tone to some others, so maybe some want more humour ( I dunno, not wanting to make assumptions ). For me it was up there with Winter Soldier, Thor, Thor 3, GOTG 1, Iron Man 1 as  one of the better ones. 

It's absolutely miles better than Iron Man 2, 3, GOTG 2, Avengers Age of Ultron, Thor 2, The Hulk,

1 minute ago, Chindie said:

You can stop the fanboy stuff right away. I can criticise it. The post you quoted states Iron Man 2 is a irredeemable. That Marvel have made weaker movies. Attack the point not me.

It's just absurd hyperbole to say it's their weakest. Ironically the kind of thing a bummed fanboy would say. Worst. Mahvel. Evar. 

Where that the case, the reviews would have slaughtered it, the backlash from the fans palpable. Instead it's near glowing. Only critiques really coming from people who just don't like the series and like to let people know.

Why is it the weakest? What in it is worse than Iron Man 2? Worse than Incredible Hulk? Worse than Thor the Dark World?

It's fine to not like it, to not rate it, but the hyperbole makes you look daft.

I’d modified my post before you replied as i acknowledged  the fan boy line would probably rile you and I felt I owed you a bit more courtesy 

designer 1’s post seems to offer some support to my claim , unless of course his mate is also posting hyperbole ..... 

6 minutes ago, Designer1 said:

Yeah i was very surprised as he's a big Marvel fan and very invested in the universe.

He pointed out quite a few issues, but his main criticism was that he found Boseman to be something of a charisma vacuum.

That latter point is fair enough, he's not as explosive or loud a personality as many of the other Marvel figures, but for me that was made up for many of the supporting cast. He's also a young leader finding himself, bearing the weight of a nation on his shoulders in this film. Perhaps I find it easier to identify with a less is more approach to communication,  I didn't mind it at all, it's nice for not all central protagonists to be chippy / quippy or Thor,  but I can see why others might not be so enamoured.

Edited by Rodders

5 minutes ago, Designer1 said:

I could see T'Challa being a problem for people. The character isn't the bombastic or funny quipy personality of many other Avengers. He's serious, regal, and can be a dickhead in the comics, and Civil War seemed to suggest they might keep heading in that direction. 

I've also seen some criticism of the CGI, which is unusually weak.

Not really seen anyone think it's bad though.

3 minutes ago, Rodders said:

It is different in tone to some others, so maybe some want more humour ( I dunno, not wanting to make assumptions ). For me it was up there with Winter Soldier, Thor, Thor 3, GOTG 1, Iron Man 1 as  one of the better ones. 

It's absolutely miles better than Iron Man 2, 3, GOTG 2, Avengers Age of Ultron, Thor 2, The Hulk,

It’s a good point , I do like the humour ones more , GOTG , deadpool , Thor 3  etc 

perhaps the RDJ wise cracking type thing resonates with me more than it does with others , I know some find that irritating in the IM films 

6 minutes ago, sne said:

For me the first Captain America film is by far the worst they've made.

That one is painful to the point I managed about 40 minutes before turning it off. I did see it later on because I heard the follow up, Winter Soldier was pretty good.

So I sat through it and managed the whole film on the second attempt, but boy it's terrible.

I've never understood what people dislike about the first Cap, it's a top half film for me. Boys own adventure with a Saturday afternoon feel, a good origin of a very good character. It's biggest flaw is they didn't put enough action sequences in it. But otherwise it's one of the best I think.

• Like 3

Iron Man 2 is not a good movie. It's only positives are a near cameo appearance by Sam Rockwell and the Monte Carlo sequence. Otherwise it's a holding pattern of a movie Marvel pumped out while they got the rest of their act together.

Iron Man 1 is great though.

6 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Well as long as well agree that iron Man 2 is **** shit

(The first Iron Man is shit too. But I tend to be more alone in that opinion...)

Robert Downey Jr as Iron Man is just so cringe and not funny (even though it really tries to be) the whole series is shite. 

Edited by PieFacE
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, Chindie said:

I've never understood what people dislike about the first Cap, it's a top half film for me. Boys own adventure with a Saturday afternoon feel, a good origin of a very good character. It's biggest flaw is they didn't put enough action sequences in it. But otherwise it's one of the best I think.

Different people like different things I guess.

It is rated pretty low (for such a blockbuster) on both metacriticts and IMDB. But them again IMDB is broken with all the actual fan boys giving either a 1 or a 10 to all Marvel or DC films.

Possibly has to do with what relation you have with the source material,in this case I have non. 

Where as I still love the 3 Lord of the Ring movies as I've grew up with those books.

35 minutes ago, Chindie said:

Iron Man 2 is not a good movie. It's only positives are a near cameo appearance by Sam Rockwell and the Monte Carlo sequence. Otherwise it's a holding pattern of a movie Marvel pumped out while they got the rest of their act together.

Iron Man 1 is great though.

See I thought 3 was worse than 2. 3 was absolutely dreadful/. All comes down to preferences 

I think the first hulk film they did was the worst ever in my experience, boring no action and the worst storyline . 

• Like 1

Â