The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

1 hour ago, Shropshire Lad said:

Have you watched “The Guard”? Same director and Glesson again (along with a lot of the supporting cast from “Calvary”).

Much more of a comedy, but there are some pretty good “quiet” moments with a bit of depth to them. Probably a closer relative to “In Bruges” in tone, it’s very knowing and self aware and a lot of fun.

Yes, enjoyed it, but not as much as Calvary.

Just watched BR2049. Not quite sure what to make of it if I’m honest. I went into it with all the hype and I wished I hadn’t as I found it, well, a little bit boring if I’m honest. The original is in my top 5 of all time and I was desperately hoping this one would click with me but it never did. It’s a good film just not the masterpiece I had hoped and heard about. I think tonally it was good but the pacing was just a little too pedestrian for me. I like slow character driven stuff but this made Fortitude (tv show) look like The Transporter on speed. Beautifully shot though I have to say. 

All the pieces are there but for me they never quite clicked the way I wanted them to. Maybe need to give it a second viewing sometime.

Will there be a 3rd film? as........

Spoiler

They talked about replicants rising up for a war against Wallace and his rogues. 

What happened to Wallace?

Overall it’s a 7 for me as it stands, may get a better score on next viewing. Good but too slow. Was hoping for a little bit more.

Edited by Ingram85
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Shropshire Lad said:

Have you watched “The Guard”? Same director and Glesson again (along with a lot of the supporting cast from “Calvary”).

Much more of a comedy, but there are some pretty good “quiet” moments with a bit of depth to them. Probably a closer relative to “In Bruges” in tone, it’s very knowing and self aware and a lot of fun.

The Guard, In Bruges and Calgary are all brilliant films.

And they're a full spectrum really. 

The Guard is like a full on Comedy, Calgary is much darker (although still has comedic elements), and then In Bruges is right in the middle.

I think Calgary is probably the "best" film, but In Bruges is comfortably my favourite.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Ingram85 said:

Just watched BR2049. Not quite sure what to make of it if I’m honest. I went into it with all the hype and I wished I hadn’t as I found it, well, a little bit boring if I’m honest. The original is in my top 5 of all time and I was desperately hoping this one would click with me but it never did. It’s a good film just not the masterpiece I had hoped and heard about. I think tonally it was good but the pacing was just a little too pedestrian for me. I like slow character driven stuff but this made Fortitude (tv show) look like The Transporter on speed. Beautifully shot though I have to say. 

All the pieces are there but for me they never quite clicked the way I wanted them to. Maybe need to give it a second viewing sometime.

Hide contents

They talked about replicants rising up for a war against Wallace and his rogues. 

Overall it’s a 7 for me as it stands, may get a better score on next viewing. Good but too slow. Was hoping for a little bit more.

As much as I love the original, I thought BR2049 was comfortably better. My film of the year last year (two in a row for Villeneuve) 

8 hours ago, Ingram85 said:

Reveal hidden contents

I think I was similar to you, I do look forward to watching it again to see if it will revise my impression upwards, but I did find the pacing glacial and distracting, and usually I'm more than happy to enjoy a slow burner and soak up the atmosphere. Good film, but at the time I felt restless and unsatisfied too often.

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

The Guard, In Bruges and Calgary are all brilliant films.

And they're a full spectrum really. 

The Guard is like a full on Comedy, Calgary is much darker (although still has comedic elements), and then In Bruges is right in the middle.

I think Calgary is probably the "best" film, but In Bruges is comfortably my favourite.

Yeah I think they’re all excellent in different ways.

For me, “Calvary” is probably the more powerful film, “The Guard” is the most enjoyable and “In Bruges” manages to be combine the best attributes of both, it’s probably the most “beautiful” of the three in that it makes Bruges look like the most stunning city.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I also find it a little strange when people say they love the original BR, but think the new one is too slow.

The original is one of the slowest films going!

The original is definitely not as meandering and nowhere near as long which makes a huge difference, 2049 is nearly an hour longer. Hardly strange.

Edited by Ingram85
  • Like 2

31 minutes ago, Shropshire Lad said:

Yeah I think they’re all excellent in different ways.

For me, “Calvary” is probably the more powerful film, “The Guard” is the most enjoyable and “In Bruges” manages to be combine the best attributes of both, it’s probably the most “beautiful” of the three in that it makes Bruges look like the most stunning city.

I visited the city directly off the back of the film :D

• Like 1

Just now, AVFCDAN said:

In Bruges > Calvary > The Guard

swap In Bruges and Calvary round for me, but it hardly matters, they're all fantastic, and we've still got 3 billboards to add into the ordering too ;)

15 minutes ago, Ingram85 said:

The original is definitely not as meandering and nowhere near as long which makes a huge difference, 2049 is nearly an hour longer. Hardly strange.

I guess, but we were talking about pace, which isn't the same as length.

I think the original is a far slower pace than the new one. Which isn't a negative, I love both films. It just seems strange to me to like the pace of one and not the other when I'd say they're fairly similar in that regard.

15 minutes ago, Rodders said:

swap In Bruges and Calvary round for me, but it hardly matters, they're all fantastic, and we've still got 3 billboards to add into the ordering too ;)

Hard to say where it fits in to be honest. I loved 3 billboards but to put it before or after In Bruges is very hard either way.

So The Cloverfield Paradox.

Might as well been called The Forrest Gump Paradox for all it had in common with the previous film.

Other than that it wasn't the worst sci-fi film ever, but nor was it anything special.

Countless better similar films out there.

• Sad 1

Darkest hour tonight , always dangerous when you watch something hyped 

as a film I enjoyed it , I’ve read quite a lot of books on that period and whilst some artistic liberties were clearly taken , Churchill on the underground , as bloody if , it did a fair job , a know a few people who feel asleep during this film , but I found it kept your attention very well and was never dull even though potentially it could have been a dull film 

the but comes with Oldmans performance , early in the film he sounded like someone doing a Zippy impression and then he somehow morphed into Yoda at times , the make up artist should win an Oscar hands down but Oldman wins it based on his ability to smoke a cigar I’d be very disappointed ..

Â