The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

Hmm, I don't mind Die Hard as a Christmas film, 1 and 2 both get watched more often than not in the background each year.
I have no standards mind and just "being set in December" is enough for me. Scrooged, Groundhog Day ( there is snow and bill murray ), Gremlins, the aforementioned Die Hards, It's A Wonderful Life, A Christmas Carol - any version, muppets included - and perhaps it's the booze and coziness of a proper fire at my folks, I will also gladly watch Love Actually. Bad Santa and Trading Places also optional. As a kid I did used to love The Santa Clause - and always wondered how far John Lithgow went in space - by now he's presumably near the Oort Cloud.

There it is nails to the mast, the chrimbo films of choice.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Brumerican said:

Well...It's a just a loosely thrown together series of poorly written skits. Sandler looks completely disinterested the entire film and you can see every "gag" coming a mile off .  There isn't an ounce of originality anywhere and the tone changes spectacularly at random intervals.

It is truly, truly dire. 

I too watched this last night and I have to say, I think your review is unnecessarily kind.

Watched a fairly decent, extremely low-budget film, Cop Car last night - two runaways kids stumble across a sheriff's car (belonging to the dodgy Kevin Bacon, sporting a quality moustache!) and take it for a spin. Sheriff Bacon, who was away from the car doing some dirty work is then desperate to get the car (and it's contents) back.

Not awe inspiringly brilliant but certainly better than watching Adam Sandler.....

Letters From Iwo Jima  (2006)

I finally got to watch this movie.I had read many good reviews about it .Have to say they were all correct ,i think it is a really good movie 8/10 for me

Bit surprised about the popularity of "Love, Actually" on here. I thought it was detestable, but there you go.

Films I like and associate with watching at Christmas (no apologies for listing the classics)-

It's a Wonderful Life
Scrooge (1951, black & white)
The Muppets Christmas Carol
The Apartment 
Groundhog Day

And as an alternative to "The Great Escape" (I see no reason to believe I will see a great escape anytime soon) I like watching "The Bridge on the River Kwai" and "The Man Who Would be King".

On 11/12/2015 at 17:24, Designer1 said:

Yes, I hear that the Krampus tries to evoke a few of Joe Dante's touches but fails miserably.

My daughter said it was the worst film she's seen this year (and like her dad, she watches a lot :))

I went to see this today. 

I actually kinda liked it. It very distinctly goes for the Gremlins, Joe Dante thing. And it nearly, nearly does it. It gets weaker as it goes on, but it starts well developing a caricatured dysfunctional extended family at Christmas and then developing the threat and atmosphere of the Krampus. It raises a fair few sniggers and laughs, but then slowly loses it as it develops more towards horror. It doesn't quite get to horror and while it has some good creature design (and some very bad creature design...) they verge on silly rather than creepy a little too much. It shys away from being as nasty as it needs to be I think to truly evoke Gremlins properly and that ultimately holds it back.

But it's fun, has a nice atmosphere, and is half of a truly good creepy Christmas fairy tale.

On 12/11/2015 at 15:27, VillaForever1970 said:

Not looking great unfortunately, especially as the big tense moment is Prof X going bald and a suit!

Also awkward use of Lawrence just because she’s arguably the biggest star in it; in yet don’t think she’s the biggest character.

LOL, the obsession with destroying bridges continues apace then. 

I think this film looks interesting, the primary source of interest being: does the American obsession with Christianity outweigh the American obsession with superheroes? I mean, I'm no expert, but it strikes me that stuff about the Bible being based on X-Men might not 'play well' in much of the good 'ol U-S-of-A. 

On 12/12/2015 at 14:08, Ginko said:

Well, Christmas is somewhat key to Die Hard's plot. It's set on Christmas Eve during the Nakatomi Plaza office Christmas party, after all.

Yes, but it could be any party, really - New Years, Birthday, Halloween. I don't believe the terrorists attacked because it was specifically Christmas, did they? It is without doubt a film that features Christmas*, such as say, Edward Scissorhands or Babe, but a Christmas movie it is not, in my estimation.

*I agree that this may make the film more enjoyable during the festive period, and if you were to suggest that in itself makes it a Christmas movie, I would deem that to be quite sensible. Case in point, my own favourite film that features Christmas to watch at this time of year is Das Boot, but I don't consider it a Christmas movie.

Edited by hogso

Â