The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

Watched bridge of spies earlier, good film, think both hanks and senior speilbergo have set the bar so high for themselves that this never really hits any great heights, just a good solid film that I found interesting because I like the Cold War but I wouldn't be surprised if some people found it boring

Probably better for the history thread, I like films / TV that covers the red scare and mcarthyism, I find it fascinating how it became so ingrained in American every day life (there's some good scenes with school kids in BoS) and how it's seemingly echoing now with nobody realising that it was stupid back then and it's not much better now

55 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Watched bridge of spies earlier, good film, think both hanks and senior speilbergo have set the bar so high for themselves that this never really hits any great heights, just a good solid film that I found interesting because I like the Cold War but I wouldn't be surprised if some people found it boring

Probably better for the history thread, I like films / TV that covers the red scare and mcarthyism, I find it fascinating how it became so ingrained in American every day life (there's some good scenes with school kids in BoS) and how it's seemingly echoing now with nobody realising that it was stupid back then and it's not much better now

If McCarthyism in film interests you, "Trumbo" was entertaining. Not great, but worth a watch.

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

I assume you've probably seen Good Night and Good Luck which is definitely worth a look too.

I watched Inside Out on the weekend.

It was ok. I thought it started poorly. Seemed really gimmicky and forced.

It got better as it went on though. Not as good as usual Disney efforts though

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

I watched Inside Out on the weekend.

It was ok. I thought it started poorly. Seemed really gimmicky and forced.

It got better as it went on though. Not as good as usual Disney efforts though

I felt exactly the same about it. I'm a massive fan of Monsters Inc., The Incredibles and Wall E and was expecting great things based on the reviews but it was just a bit 'meh'. I can't help thinking that I must be missing something given all the praise lavished on it.

Inside Out is a children's film that's not for children. All the ideas (which aren't groundbreaking and, as above shows, have been in a popular British comic for decades) are for the adults watching, and the framework of the film that most kids are going to take away from it is pretty lacklustre, which also makes it ask rather unsatisfying for the adults as well.

It's a 'nice' movie, but Pixar at their best make films that are spectacular for all their audience.

Saw Stanton Prison Experiment.

Thought it was pretty good.  The ending a little lacklustre (it's based on a real experiment), but not knowing the history of it, I thought something bad was going to happen after the experiment had finished.

Interesting and only realised the main guy is Dr. Manhattan after about an hour.

However, some absolutely smashing facial hair.

9.5/10.

There's already been two versions of the same story, one decent (The Experiment 2010) and one very good (Das Experiment 2001) so not sure why they bothered with another one.

Having said that, the new one has a strong cast and it's a very interesting concept so I dare say i'll watch it sometime.

**It's Stanford btw, not Stanton ;)

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Designer1 said:

There's already been two versions of the same story, one decent (The Experiment 2010) and one very good (Das Experiment 2001) so not sure why they bothered with another one.

Having said that, the new one has a strong cast and it's a very interesting concept so I dare say i'll watch it sometime.

**It's Stanford btw, not Stanton ;)

:lol: swing and a miss

Didn't know it had (very recently) already done it.  I assume the Das Experiment film is foreign?

I enjoyed it, I just anticipated something happening outside of the experiment, that didn't happen.  Still an enjoyable couple of hours though.

Just now, lapal_fan said:

:lol: swing and a miss

Didn't know it had (very recently) already done it.  I assume the Das Experiment film is foreign?

I enjoyed it, I just anticipated something happening outside of the experiment, that didn't happen.  Still an enjoyable couple of hours though.

Just had a bit of a read about the latest version and it seems where the others were stories based on the concept of the guards/prisoners this is a closer account of the actual event that took place in 71.

So yeah, I want to see it.

I already acquired this film and assumed it was another knock off of Das Experiment, knowing the above I may make the effort to see this as both Das Experiment and to a lesser extent The Experiment were both very good. Forest Whittaker is great in the remake I thought (its hardly his strongest performance but you do actually believe in it)

Â