The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

So Stars Episode IV - re-watched for the first time in c.10+ years ahead of next weekend of course. I don't know if I was watching a re-editing copy but I don't remember it being quite so abrupt before. Like at the end, we go from post kaboom to credits in about 2 minutes, no chatting around celebrating or mourning the lost pilots, just boom, out of plane, hug people, medals on necks in 30 seconds. I think I may just be mis-remembering what happened when and where in all three of those films and was wondering where all the stuff from the next two films were, but it just seemed really low budget in a "we're running out of tape, no time for anything vaguely unnecessary" way. Still, for the most part I was impressed that some of the graphics were actually of pretty decent standard! And of course now I also understand far more of the memes that float across my fb feed.

2 hours ago, hogso said:

Yes, but it could be any party, really - New Years, Birthday, Halloween. I don't believe the terrorists attacked because it was specifically Christmas, did they? It is without doubt a film that features Christmas*, such as say, Edward Scissorhands or Babe, but a Christmas movie it is not, in my estimation.

*I agree that this may make the film more enjoyable during the festive period, and if you were to suggest that in itself makes it a Christmas movie, I would deem that to be quite sensible. Case in point, my own favourite film that features Christmas to watch at this time of year is Das Boot, but I don't consider it a Christmas movie.

Does your work have an office Halloween or New Year's party? The terrorists chose this time to attack specifically because it was Christmas and the office Christmas party. Also, think of all the great Christmas-related dialogue and sequences. It also ends with a great Christmas song as the credits roll.

I'll admit, I'm being a little tongue-in-cheek with this though. Originally the film was released in theatres in July, so it was obviously never intended to be a true Christmas film, but I think it has since become one.

Stevo makes a good point about Home Alone. It could have been set during any old family holiday. I think Home Alone 2 is a bit more Christmassy and couldn't really be set at any other time of year, however. For what it's worth I class them both as Christmas movies.

• Like 1

Well, Christmas is somewhat key to Die Hard's plot. It's set on Christmas Eve during the Nakatomi Plaza office Christmas party, after all.

Yes, but it could be any party, really - New Years, Birthday, Halloween. I don't believe the terrorists attacked because it was specifically Christmas, did they? It is without doubt a film that features Christmas*, such as say, Edward Scissorhands or Babe, but a Christmas movie it is not, in my estimation.

*I agree that this may make the film more enjoyable during the festive period, and if you were to suggest that in itself makes it a Christmas movie, I would deem that to be quite sensible. Case in point, my own favourite film that features Christmas to watch at this time of year is Das Boot, but I don't consider it a Christmas movie.

We're the same with Bergman's "Fanny and Alexander", the first hour or so of which takes place at Christmas.

4 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

That seems a strange definition.

Home Alone could have happened at any time really

Good call, Home Alone is therefore a film that features Christmas rather than a Christmas movie, then. Although it has been some time since I have seen it, should be viewing it again very soon, so will be able to judge better based upon the amount of references to Christmas in it.

Edit - hang on, isn't there a scene where Kevin makes his own Christmas party to make it look like the house is occupied? And don't they sing carols at the start of the film? And I might have imagined/transplanted this, but does he not also open everyone else's presents or something?

Ginko makes a convincing argument for Die Hard being a Christmas movie there. "Ho Ho Ho, now I have a machine gun", etc. I also intend to rewatch that soon, and would happily reclassify it.

Home Alone 2 is the one where they meet at the end near the huge Christmas tree, right? And the sticky bandits attempt to steal the Christmas fund which is why Kevin has them go after him instead? Or something like that. Yes, that is undeniably a Christmas movie, then.

Edited by hogso

...and now for something completely different...

So excited about this one which is based on a JG Ballard story.
Big fan of Wheatley's work, and with a soundtrack by Clint Mansell and Hiddleston in the main role i'm pretty certain it's going to be right up my street.

• Like 1

hmm. I enjoyed the last two Star Trek re-boots, they were perfectly entertaining, not sure about the trailer for this one, looks like they've gone further into cheesy humour and bang bang action. Will probably still give it a go though.

I don't like the casting of Simon Pegg in the Star Trek reboots.  He's too distinctive in everything else that he does to play a character like that.  I like his other stuff, but this doesn't work.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Designer1 said:

That looks awful. I don't mind the reboot, and Into Darkness has its moments of you entirely ignore the plot, but that... Nah. Each movie stepped away from Star Trek and, normally, that wouldn't bother me at all but at this point it's seemingly become a skin on top of 'Generic Sci Fi Action Movie 4'. 

1 hour ago, Designer1 said:

...and now for something completely different...

So excited about this one which is based on a JG Ballard story.
Big fan of Wheatley's work, and with a soundtrack by Clint Mansell and Hiddleston in the main role i'm pretty certain it's going to be right up my street.

On the other hand, I'm all over this like a rash. I like Wheatley's work, and whilst I don't enjoy all of it (a Field in England, cough) given how wide it is you're unlikely to. This looks his most ambitious work, the look is bang on, the cast on paper is exceptional, and the story he's working with a brilliant one. Could be superb.

• Like 2

On 13/12/2015 at 13:19, pooligan said:

Letters From Iwo Jima  (2006)

I finally got to watch this movie.I had read many good reviews about it .Have to say they were all correct ,i think it is a really good movie 8/10 for me

Bloody hell Poligan, thats a bit modern for you isnt it?

Â