The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

21 hours ago, theboyangel said:

Finally got around to watching this

220px-King_of_kong.jpg

Utterley compelling and disturbing,

Would love to know the truth about the shonky video submitted by Billy Mitchell (who wanted to appear to be some Zen-like master but came across as a complete prick) as it was all too coincidental and poor quality.

It's all here

• Like 1

Watched Creed and Spectre last night.

Creed was surprisingly good, not the best Rocky film by any stretch but also far from the worst.

Spectre was good, it just didn't feel like a Bond film. Monica Bellucci is still mighty fine.

concussion - will smith film about a nigerian dr discovering repetitive head injuries sending NFL players in to mental breakdown, was ok, smith when he wants to can really act IMO doesnt do it enough, the subject matter was interesting (foreign dr vs the might of the NFL) it just seemed to fall a little short, didnt have the impact it was aiming for, you dont have to be an NFL fan to watch it

spotlight - about the boston globe running an investigation in to priests abusing children and how the church covered it, does better than concussion but its the same, falls slightly short of the impact its trying to have, not sure if its me not remembering this incident or because there just seems to be lots of them now, some great performances from a great cast, think the sort of twist that its building to doesnt pay off, when they start banding around the numbers and the size of the cover up it is scary shit

Hateful 8

If you don't like Tarantino you don't stand a chance

It's ok, starting to think that he has this great way of setting films up with interesting characters but doesn't know where to go from there

it's like he decided to make that bar shoot out from basterds in to a 3 hour film

It's bloated and overlong rescued by some great performances and good dialogue

Hateful 8

If you don't like Tarantino you don't stand a chance

It's ok, starting to think that he has this great way of setting films up with interesting characters but doesn't know where to go from there

it's like he decided to make that bar shoot out from basterds in to a 3 hour film

It's bloated and overlong rescued by some great performances and good dialogue

Saw it a few days back.

I liked it. Walton Goggins and Kurt Russell were excellent.

• Like 1

The Danish Girl might feature the best performances in cinema history, but I wouldn't be able to get away from the fact that it looks exactly like the movie you'd make up for a parody of worthy Oscar hopefuls for a comedy sketch.

Saw a couple of things yesterday, one was Mindscape with Mark Strong which was so-so but could have been so much better, they just seemed to miss it somehow. The other was a French film called La Moustache, about a man who shaves off his moustache and in some way, by doing so, unhinges his reality. I liked it a lot.

If you're using a band analogy then he's kings of Leon, desperately trying to rediscover what made them great in the first place whilst releasing something that's incredibly safe and they've done before...

Agree about goggins and Russell both excellent, so is the woman in it

Did make me wonder while watching it, what will they do when Samuel L Jackson calls it a day, he's good in it too albeit he's playing Samuel L Jackson, there's no one near him, I could watch him all day (even if he does put a shit lisp on in kingsman)

8 hours ago, villa4europe said:

If you're using a band analogy then he's kings of Leon, desperately trying to rediscover what made them great in the first place whilst releasing something that's incredibly safe and they've done before...

Kings of Leon are trying to rediscover what made them great?  Last I saw they were a vest wearing, floppy haired, overly mellow boy band.

Â