The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

Das Experiment is really good, yeah. The main actor is Moritz Bleibtrau, who was the feckless boyfriend in Run Lola Run for those who remember that movie. It adapts the story of the Stanford Prison Experiment, but doesn't retell it exactly, so it sounds like this new movie is a bit different, which is good. 

1 hour ago, villa4europe said: Watched bridge of spies earlier, good film, think both hanks and senior speilbergo have set the bar so high for themselves that this never really hits any great heights, just a good solid film that I found interesting because I like the Cold War but I wouldn't be surprised if some people found it boring

Probably better for the history thread, I like films / TV that covers the red scare and mcarthyism, I find it fascinating how it became so ingrained in American every day life (there's some good scenes with school kids in BoS) and how it's seemingly echoing now with nobody realising that it was stupid back then and it's not much better now

I assume you've probably seen Good Night and Good Luck which is definitely worth a look too.

I have yeah, great film, iirc it got lost amongst a really strong year in films

The Cosgrove Hall adaptation of the BFG is one of the staples of my childhood, to the extent that David Jason basically is the BFG in my head. This is Spielbergs take, with Mark Rylance playing the eponymous character. When I first heard about this I was terrified they'd **** it up, but I'm cautiously optimistic on the basis of the above.

It's not set in America for a start. The BFG and Good Omens are 2 stories that just wouldn't work if translated to a US setting. We've won on the first, if ever the second ever gets adapted we can but pray...

• Like 1

This really seems to be Disney's thing at the moment doesn't it? Making Live Action versions of previously animated films.

Anyway, I **** love the BFG, and that looks decent, so good work.

yep, snow white and cinderella followed by jungle book, chip and dale, 101 dalmatians (again) tinkerbell, dumbo, mulan, winnie the pooh, Aladdin, sword in the stone, another alice in wonderland, beauty and the beast, pete's dragon,  another wizard of oz, enchanted 2, pinocchio, maleficent 2,  fantasia, 

then you throw in finding dory, incredibles 2, cars 3, toy story 4, wreck it ralph 2, frozen 2, pirates of the Caribbean 5, star wars 8, 9 and 10, marvel film 92

On 7/12/2015 at 23:52, Meath_Villan said:

Forgot how good this film is ...I think seeing bro-dick in the cast would put anyone off but dont be fooled its a classic 7.5/10

300px-Glory.jpg

MV and Denzel ...
Up a tree ...

Yeah, that looked crap. Then again I didn't think much to First Class or DoFP so my expectations are pretty low already.

Don't really rate Bryan Singer either. Big meh from me.

Oh, and maybe it's unfair of me since it was only a couple of lines, but Sophie Turner's American accent was a bit crap.

All in all, I'm looking forward to it.

Edited by Ginko

Interesting that you mention Gremlins; I think that's the sort of animal Krampus was trying to channel but it just didn't work for me.

I don't know whether it was just because the 80s (technically 1990 for the sequel) was just the right era for it, but Gremlins worked as a horror comedy. I think if you're going to blend those two genres, it needs to hit the high notes of both yet blend seamlessly from one to the other. It has to be absolutely hilarious at the lighter moments, and downright creepy at its darker ones. Krampus didn't make me laugh nor did it scare me.

Creature design was good though, I'll give it that. Some of the nightmare toys were pretty disturbing.

Yes, I hear that the Krampus tries to evoke a few of Joe Dante's touches but fails miserably.

My daughter said it was the worst film she's seen this year (and like her dad, she watches a lot :))

I thought the last 2 xmen films were really good, I think apocalypse and the bloated cast is turning me off though, pretty much the same with thanos, just looks a bit daft, and i also think fassbenders magneto whilst being played well is just missing something in the writing

Â