New Aston Villa Stadium Chat

VillaChris

6 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Bodymoor Heath maybe.

Not that it matters, I don't think there's a new stadium on the horizon. 

Was that a serious suggestion 🤣

• Like 1

6 hours ago, nick76 said:

I never want to move from Villa Park but if we had no choice, I definitely don’t want to be in the City or close to it, I couldn’t think of anywhere worse.  It would be far better on a big piece of land just outside the city that could be catered for a massive stadium properly, with proper travel infrastructure built and also close links to the motorway.  The city idea would just be a complete nightmare.

Years ago the Smithfield development could've been a chance, certainly a big enough site within 10 minutes walk of New Street. You have Newcastle as 52k city centre stadium which seems to work pretty well so that's why a few push for that.

1 hour ago, VillaChris said:

Years ago the Smithfield development could've been a chance, certainly a big enough site within 10 minutes walk of New Street. You have Newcastle as 52k city centre stadium which seems to work pretty well so that's why a few push for that.

Probably worth noting that Newcastle have recently started floating the idea of leaving SJP though. 

23 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Probably worth noting that Newcastle have recently started floating the idea of leaving SJP though. 

A lot of clubs are to match the revenue needs clubs have now a handful have got these revenue making machines. Otherwise we all get left behind.

its got to be a place for all week long not for once every two weeks. So business conferences and concerts etc

• Like 1

I’d have us move the stadium without hesitation… 

If we can reconstruct some of the core foundations which gives Villa Park the appearance that it has - ie, the Holte end, then where it is makes no odds to me. If location means better transport links, larger capacity and all sorts of other stuff, then, that’s what needs to happen. 

Im guessing this isn’t in the thinking at all though, and neither is increasing capacity of the current stadium. GLOBAL REVENUE STREAMS are the buzz words for the foreseeable. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Tayls said:

I’d have us move the stadium without hesitation… 

If we can reconstruct some of the core foundations which gives Villa Park the appearance that it has - ie, the Holte end, then where it is makes no odds to me. If location means better transport links, larger capacity and all sorts of other stuff, then, that’s what needs to happen. 

Im guessing this isn’t in the thinking at all though, and neither is increasing capacity of the current stadium. GLOBAL REVENUE STREAMS are the buzz words for the foreseeable. 

If a new stadium was to be built elsewhere an Architect would be given a clean slate based around wherever that new location is. It would bear no resemblance whatsoever to what The Holte end looks like now. Nor should it.

The Holte End was designed as it was to accompany the old Trinity Road Stand and the Old Trinity Road Stand was designed as it was to represent it's proximity to Aston Hall.

Any designs belong to the locations in which they are situated.

(It's just Cheapskate Owners that create eyesores by refusing to hire architects!)

Edited by Caravella82

43 minutes ago, ThunderPower_14 said:

Clearly the money doesn't line up though. If it was as simple as build a bigger stand and have more money, Ellis would have done it.

Every single major stadium work anywhere involves significant public funding. The only one I can think of that didn't was Metlife stadium in New Jersey in 2010, but that was shared between two teams.

We missed our chance to have a public funded stadium with the commonwealth games.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Villa_Vids said:

We missed our chance to have a public funded stadium with the commonwealth games.

Birmingham got the Commonwealth Games as a backup option when Durban pulled out, and the bid was based on utilising existing facilities spread across the region (and country given the velodrome used was the London one) and keeping costs down through limited renovation rather than new build (with the exception being the athlete accommodation, which was always going to be used afterwards as flats anyway). There wouldn't have been a chance that there was a new stadium coming out of Birmingham 2022.

5 minutes ago, Chindie said:

Birmingham got the Commonwealth Games as a backup option when Durban pulled out, and the bid was based on utilising existing facilities spread across the region (and country given the velodrome used was the London one) and keeping costs down through limited renovation rather than new build (with the exception being the athlete accommodation, which was always going to be used afterwards as flats anyway). There wouldn't have been a chance that there was a new stadium coming out of Birmingham 2022.

Fair enough. Sounds like Heck's plan here. 🤣

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Villa_Vids said:

Not to disrespect the commonwealth games, but the Alexander is in no way even close to what a Premier League club needs. Unless there was some sort of a join public/private project (wouldn't happen) the public would not fund anything even close to what Villa might need.

I will risk assuming that 1 top premier league game is watched by more people around the world than the entire athletics season (taking away Olympics). 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

Not to disrespect the commonwealth games, but the Alexander is in no way even close to what a Premier League club needs. Unless there was some sort of a join public/private project (wouldn't happen) the public would not fund anything even close to what Villa might need.

I will risk assuming that 1 top premier league game is watched by more people around the world than the entire athletics season (taking away Olympics). 

Can you imagine the trogs down small heath if the council agreed to part fund a new stadium for us.

22 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

It happened in Manchester but I agree it is highly unlikely to happen again or here.

• 2 weeks later...
21 minutes ago, Villa_Vids said:

We don't want to be left behind by the others.

Unfortunately, some people may only accept this when it's too late, across the board of our operations.

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, Villa_Vids said:

Utd are looking at building a new 90k stadium. 😐 With Everton moving too. Maybe we really need to consider a new stadium. We don't want to be left behind by the others.

Yup it’s time to accept that we need to move with the times  if we are to remain a competitive premier league side as hard as that may be to accept.