New Aston Villa Stadium Chat

VillaChris

8 minutes ago, thabucks said:

Villa Park is just too compromised as a site by roads and housing. I’d be behind a move to a sparkly new stadium in the right location and design … I do wonder how locked into staying at VP NSWE are if the costs x benefits of any redevelopment don’t add up . 

I've spent a lot of time in America and I absolutely love the stadiums over there and the way they're a real focus within the city. Matchday is more of an event - you go into the city, have a meal, few drinks in the ground beforehand etc.
I just love the idea of a shiny. new,  60k city centre stadium with all the trimmings. Really top notch corporate facilities and bars, restaurants. Really make matchday more of an experience rather than everybody driving to Villa Park, parking up and then leaving 5 minutes before the end. 

We'd be THE club in Birmingham as well. A proper symbol of the city. Birmingham City with their mouldy stadium on the verge of collapse would be an afterthought in our wake as a new Villa Park towers across the City skyline. It would be fantastic for the city and people of Birmingham too. 

Just a dream of mine anyway. I'm sure many would disagree and consider it sacrilege that we would even consider moving away from our famous old ground - and that's fair too. I just think the game is accelerating so fast now that in 10-15 years time, football is going to be near enough a franchise sport where the top 10-15 are just so far ahead of everybody else. It's what they're trying to do with the ESL. I think a new stadium brings us into a new age and moves us up to a new level. 

Worth noting, I agree with a lot on here saying there isn't space in the city centre. I genuinely don't even know if it would be feasible!

Also, can you imagine Bissouma lining up for us in a new stadium? :trollface:

Edited by Delphinho123
  • Like 1

Obvious and perfect central location would’ve been the Smithfield site … Think talk of a new stadium is futile sadly.

We need to maximise the best we can what we have and there is always scope to improve and expand. A covered atrium hall like at Lambeau attached to the Trinity and new north stand could be an idea to create a fan park style area and a space which can be used outside of math days. 

2D8375BC-432D-47CE-9798-4DBF2767D161.jpeg

88CBC244-D9EC-451C-890F-D00861EF3CBD.jpeg

56 minutes ago, thabucks said:

Obvious and perfect central location would’ve been the Smithfield site … Think talk of a new stadium is futile sadly.

We need to maximise the best we can what we have and there is always scope to improve and expand. A covered atrium hall like at Lambeau attached to the Trinity and new north stand could be an idea to create a fan park style area and a space which can be used outside of math days. 

2D8375BC-432D-47CE-9798-4DBF2767D161.jpeg

88CBC244-D9EC-451C-890F-D00861EF3CBD.jpeg

Sorry I just have to wipe the drool from my mouth

• 1 year later...

So if we ever did want to expand properly again, we’d have to move? By properly I mean a good 10/15k extra seats… obviously many years away, but, that’s where it is headed isn’t it? 

33 minutes ago, Tayls said:

So if we ever did want to expand properly again, we’d have to move? By properly I mean a good 10/15k extra seats… obviously many years away, but, that’s where it is headed isn’t it? 

Yes. Same as Everton really

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, sidcow said:

Your dream maybe. Not the dream for 95% though.  Villa Park is sacred and rightly revered throughout football.

I agree it would be a large majority in favour of staying at Villa Park. I suppose the vote result would depend what the alternative offered, but my guess would be at least 80% in favour of staying at Villa Park. Perhaps under 40s around 60-70% and over 40s above 90%.

I'd only consider a move if it was selfishly advantageous to my Villa family. We're all settled around the Lickey Hills area so a 60k+ stadium in Longbridge, with the M5 and M42 access nearby, direct and frequent train services from Lichfield, Sutton, Birmingham and Redditch and then build a new tram line from Birmingham city centre along the A38 through Selly Oak and Northfield, could possibly turn my head!

4 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Tin hat on. I wouldn't mind if we built a brand new stadium...

I will join you by donning my tin hat. I have thought about this a little bit in the past, and I don’t know if it is viable option. But could we could do what Spurs did and rebuild more or less on the same site. I think We would need to buy up Nelson Road and Jardine Road and rebuild Villa Park a bit more NW of where we are in the new space. Would that work, would that create enough space to do it?

57 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Tin hat on. I wouldn't mind if we built a brand new stadium...

I'm still against this but not quite as vehemently as I was years ago as, Villa Park was irreparably damaged with the loss of the old Trinity Road stand. When I hear it said that VillaPark is 120+ years old it reminds me of Trigger's broom from Only fools and horses. It can't be the the same stadium.

I agree with the comment posted on the last page that mentioned when stands are built in different decades with different ideas and different trends you end up with a patchwork stadium. That is what we've got now. While I agree there is character and charm in this, people can hope for something better. Problem is what is better to one fan might not be better to another.

I'm not opposed to a new stadium, but if that stadium is not in Aston then I will oppose everything put forward. A Tottenham type build where the location doesn't change. If this has a design that represents a modernised version of the Old Trinity then I have to admit that I am intrigued by what a magnificent stadium we could have.

Edited by Caravella82

If we are going to build a completely new stadium, then we should build a completely different place. Aston is not a place to be except to watch a game.

I prefer to stay, but at the very least we should make sure we can develop DE stand. Hard to see how, as long as the road is going to be there. Some rows of houses have to go. The stand today has too little capacity, too cramped inside and it is not possible to do much with it.

Building a brand new stadium near/closer to the city center will cost a lot, and not be sustainable for the club. Can only be done if the owners will sacrifice a large amount of money to help the club increase their income somewhat. But they said when they took over the club that they were in love with Villa Park.

7 minutes ago, villa82 said:

If we are going to build a completely new stadium, then we should build a completely different place. Aston is not a place to be except to watch a game.

I prefer to stay, but at the very least we should make sure we can develop DE stand. Hard to see how, as long as the road is going to be there. Some rows of houses have to go. The stand today has too little capacity, too cramped inside and it is not possible to do much with it.

Building a brand new stadium near/closer to the city center will cost a lot, and not be sustainable for the club. Can only be done if the owners will sacrifice a large amount of money to help the club increase their income somewhat. But they said when they took over the club that they were in love with Villa Park.

I can't agree with this. Move out of Aston and then we need a name change. 

Let's leave that to our nearest neighbours!

• Like 2

• 5 months later...

I think this may well be the start of moving to a new location.  If they're saying the current public transport infrastructure and parking doesn't support a 50,000 stadium and that's what they want, I think there's a real chance of looking at a move....