New Aston Villa Stadium Chat

VillaChris

1 hour ago, terrytini said:

Would all make sense.  I reckon as long as I knew which bit was the new Holte End so I knew where to sing I'd take about ten minutes to get used to it.  My life, like I guess many others, has been full of loss, of trivial and major things, and Ive come to terms with them all.  Sometimes I pine for some of them, sometimes I cry over them, but life goes on.  And zillions of football fans have got used to new stadia.

Having said that, I don't particularly want it, and more importantly I don't see anything that has been said suggests it.

I said earlier in this thread, a lot of people seem to be missing out the bit that says ' critical long term second source of revenue'.  I don't think that means Sky money is source 1, Villa Park is source 2, I think it means the plans would bring about a second source - that doesn't mean piddly things like filling in corners or a new North Stand - that is peanuts, why on earth would Randy have got excited about that ?  I think those talking about it in those terms are missing the point.

It makes way more sense, in every way, that he means redeveloping the area as a whole, and VP being at the hub.  Its what the guy has done across China, it is crying out to be done in Birmingham generally and Aston specifically, and property/enterprise/leisure is a long term second revenue stream.

Interesting.

I've always thought the NEC would be the logical if controversial choice if ever a move away came to fruition. 

Stadium could've been built where the new HS2 station is going...so much space there and right on the doorstep of the City centre.

Personally I want to stay at VP or Lotus Arena or whatever it will be called shortly.

No issues at all exanding the ground from lack of space....if you knock down the club shop and build them into a new North Stand then you've got a bit of space to work with for new developments there like Man. City have done. 

I'm interested to see what the long term solution will be...but we need to be in the premier league and at the top end for this to be viable as we simply don't have a big enough regular match going fanbase. 

• 5 months later...

I'd move. It'd be nice to be trendsetters again, by building a really amazing modern stadium. We could really set the standard. Where could it be? Star City, near Curzon Street? stratford - I could walk to games like I did when I grew up in Erdington. 

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Maybe an option to move it more into Warwickshire/M42 corridor.

Sign of the times but maybe players want to be within distance of London so shifting the training ground south eastwards could maybe help attract better players when back in the prem?

I used to go all the time when I was younger down to Bodymoor when they used to train by the front gate but haven't bothered for nearly 10 years now. Does anyone still pop down to get autographs?

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

If/when we gate crash the Sky 'big 6' as is evident now we will sell out every week and the ground will be nowhere big enough at 42k. We will need a far bigger stadium.

I am all up for a new stadium and a move closer to the City centre but still in Aston, say by the university area as an example. Things change and it would be a fantastic opportunity. 

Villa Park as it stands today is nowhere near the ground it was originally, every stand have been redeveloped.

The North Stand and Doug Ellis Stands are dire. The facilities in there are dire. Try getting any refreshments or worse still try getting to the toilets.

Aston and Witton are dog holes and have been neglected by the City Council for donkey's years. It is starting to see some re-generation but this is in the way of yet more factory units. Other than Aston Hall and Villa Park there is sod all there !!!

Anyway, this is for the old timers around.....

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Okonokos said:

Are people seriously talking about moving to a new stadium??? 🤮

I swear, if we ever do that I'd lose interest in going. Villa Park is our home. It's our identity. A ground is what makes a club. As good as Spurs' new stadium is, if I was a Tottenham fan I'd be gutted at losing the old ground. And as for West Ham, if they weren't such a scummy club I'd feel sorry for them.

But especially when that ground is as unique and steeped in history as ours. I detest this new design of "bowl' americanised stadium. The traditional 4 stands is how it should be. Never, under any circumstances should we ever consider leaving our home. End of.

To be fair, American stadia aren't really bowls.  The NFL has loads of funky and uniquely designed stadia.  As for Villa park I don't see any point in moving ground as we have the space to easily expand it without spending hundreds of millions it would take to start from scratch somewhere else.  I've said it before but Dortmund's ground, and dare I say it Anfield's expansion, is how we should go.

1 minute ago, Mic09 said:

Alternatively, if we were to knock the whole thing down and build a new stadium at B6 6HE, I would not be against that either.

See my comment above - where would we live while it was being built? 

I just don't want to see Villa in an identikit modern bowl type stadium.

I don't care if it's in B6 or not, if we have to move then fair enough. Aston/Witton is a s###hole let's be honest.

If they designed a classic piece of architecture that reflects our proud history it would be worth moving for if it couldn't be done on the current site.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, CosmicVillan said:

I just don't want to see Villa in an identikit modern bowl type stadium.

I don't care if it's in B6 or not, if we have to move then fair enough. Aston/Witton is a s###hole let's be honest.

If they designed a classic piece of architecture that reflects our proud history it would be worth moving for if it couldn't be done on the current site.

Where would you suggest we relocate to? Have a look at the Birmingham area on Google Earth for 'Brown Belt land' within a reasonable distance of B6.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, villabromsgrove said:

Where would you suggest we relocate to? Have a look at the Birmingham area on Google Earth for 'Brown Belt land' within a reasonable distance of B6.

All you need is enough green stuff tbh, amazing how that opens doors....

58 minutes ago, villabromsgrove said:

Wow, you really don't think much of Villa Park .... Let's move then, and whatever industrial site we end up on we might as well rename our team after! For example, "Washwood Heath Villa" (the nearest wasteland site to VP) and rename our new soulless home "Washwood Heath Bowl"., because we wont be located in Aston any more, and the green and pleasant surroundings of Aston Hall Park will no longer enhance our visual appeal.

Check out the available land around VP before slating our present location.

you have not answered anything there on what is unique and you've taken my response to your post as an assault on you and therefore lets have a go back.

Who said move to Washwood Heath? 

Who said move to a soulless industrial estate (arguably we are already in one).

I have said in a previous post that both Aston and Witton are dumps which have been neglected by the City Council. What is there?  

Please dissect what i have said as your response does not stack up with mine.

but hey, lets move on.....no pun intended :)

8 hours ago, ferguson1 said:

Should we look to change/upgrade the facade of stands around Villa Park, I really hope we look at more aesthetically pleasing materials i.e. more brickwork/stained glass. Like the Holte exterior.  I really dislike metals and plastics etc, as they are cold and cheap looking.  

...Whatever the club decide over the next few years, I hope we stay on our current site.  With Aston Hall across the way from us, there is potential to link the area and make the whole place a little more inviting.  Let's make Villa Park one of the most historic, but most beautiful grounds in the land.   

Its in the armpit of the earth ...lets move it to four oaks ...much nicer and more deserving area.

• Like 1

the only way we ever move from VP is if the city wins the Olympics and builds a huge modern stadium that they then gift us afterwards, in other words not in my lifetime

think the renaming of stands will come with a sponsorship opportunity 

not too fussed about the design, facing brick would be great but its time consuming and far more expensive than cladding, it needs to fit with the existing (so not curtain walling) and look out of date before the next generation turn up (north stand) but the existing stands give architects a lot of scope to play with

If we establish ourselves in the PL I think we'll see a new stadium withing 10 years.

Edit: Let me  rephrase that.

I think we will see a vastly different looking stadium 

Edited by sne

• 4 weeks later...

King Edwards Aston - solidly Villa when I went there. We used to play Villa v the rest and still outnumber the noses and glory hunters. 

As for moving the ground if you think the people of somewhere like Sutton are going to put up with the disruption of having thousands of people descend on your area once a fortnight then you’re living in dream world. Maybe we should do a Reading and move to some soulless industrial estate on the edge of town,

Aston is far from desirable but then again neither is Anfield, Walton and lots of other areas where traditional grounds are located. The locals in Aston are a lot more accommodating than I would be if I lived near a football ground.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, KT3AVFC said:

King Edwards Aston - solidly Villa when I went there. We used to play Villa v the rest and still outnumber the noses and glory hunters. 

As for moving the ground if you think the people of somewhere like Sutton are going to put up with the disruption of having thousands of people descend on your area once a fortnight then you’re living in dream world. Maybe we should do a Reading and move to some soulless industrial estate on the edge of town,

Aston is far from desirable but then again neither is Anfield, Walton and lots of other areas where traditional grounds are located. The locals in Aston are a lot more accommodating than I would be if I lived near a football ground.

thousands of people can also generate money to that area they are descending on, places like pubs, off licences, possibly hotels get a cash generation on match day.

Public transport gets congested though.

You do however get your area recognised more when your local team or one of them is walking on through.

There is tons to look at when talking about a move from aston, it affects many.

its almost like there's a correlation between the football stadium and the value of the surrounding houses 🤔

London is obviously a different animal* but id be surprised, and im struggling to remember any football grounds set in a nice area

which is the problem if we did ever look at moving, we would probably only get planning permission for a soulless trading estate / retail park somewhere, or more likely they would want it like an NFL project where we spend 500m on the stadium and then a further 500m on the surrounding infrastructure and facilities to try and drag the area up (like they've done since building Wembley - *which is an example of a London stadium in an absolute shit hole)