New Aston Villa Stadium Chat

VillaChris

To make a new stadium financially viable it would need to be a true multi use venue used for 300 odd days a year.  I’ve seen some suggest Birmingham airport as an option but can’t see how the owners of the NEC would permit a rival venue being built so close.

If we did then it would have to have a retractable roof and pitch. Birmingham desperately needs to keep up with London & Manchester to attract big events or will be left out. 

It’s a nice idea but sadly cannot see a new stadium being built in my lifetime.

7 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

People often mention " soulless " bowls, but American Stadiums are mostly.of the same design and the atmospheres in most of them are really good. So ,...

In 100 years stadiums might be levitating and fans will be moaning that their traditional bowl is outdated.

Aside from this, the Everton design and the Chelsea proposals actually looked quite nice, a blend of traditional and modern imo.

Spurs ground is fuuuucking impressive to be fair. Partners whole family have been season ticket holders for 30/40 years and they love it.

The one tier thing is mega. 

Took my mrs on the tour where ya go round the roof, me and 8 spurs fans, they get everyone to shout “COYS” at the top to show the acoustics, i held off and done a “UTV” on my own. Sounded mint. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Manure trying to access the government's levelling up scheme to fund their "wembley of the north" 🤣

You think we will look to access part funding for VP or new build?

Edited by Villa_Vids

If I had to put money on it, I'd put it in us having a new stadium rather than upgrading VP now. That's just my thinking from the new partner that's invested in the club, the amount of time and money they were prepared to waste on the botched North Stand. With the back tracking on the North Stand I don't exactly trust Heck or the club on saying a New Stadium isn't in their plans. 

That's if I had to bet between the two. Most likely there won't be either in their plans now.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

Yes it does. It has nearly bankrupted them though, so you're not really proving his point wrong. 

Has it?  They've been spending huge amounts on players but big errors of judgement.

They're far more in danger of going bankrupt because of that than stadium investment.

Plus their dodgy owner of course.

The new stadium is probably the only sound financial decision they've made in years.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Has it?  They've been spending huge amounts on players but big errors of judgement.

They're far more in danger of going bankrupt because of that than stadium investment.

Plus their dodgy owner of course.

The new stadium is probably the only sound financial decision they've made in years.

Yes, it has. They're currently relying on loans from a consortium of dodgy Americans to pay the bills on this construction project, and said Americans are only doing so because they think they'll be able to buy the club. They may well not be able to do so, and Everton's ability to repay these loans in case 777 call them in is highly dubious. 

3 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Yes, it has. They're currently relying on loans from a consortium of dodgy Americans to pay the bills on this construction project, and said Americans are only doing so because they think they'll be able to buy the club. They may well not be able to do so, and Everton's ability to repay these loans in case 777 call them in is highly dubious. 

Yes, but that is because of Everton's exceptionally bad business in the transfer market over many years.  They've spent huge amounts of money on total crap.  That's what's turned them into a dumpster fire, not the stadium.

I mean, lets say the stadium overran in cost by £100m.  They SHOULD have been able to recoup that with a couple of player sales, it's only their batshit crazy transfer dealings which means they cant.  Us in their place could sell Luiz and McGinn to pay that overspend.    Most sensible Premium League teams could raise £100m with a few player sales if they were facing extinction otherwise.

1 hour ago, Villa_Vids said:

Manure trying to access the government's levelling up scheme to fund their "wembley of the north" 🤣

You think we will look to access part funding for VP or new build?

The gov should tell them 'don't buy Antony, Maguire and Casemiro and you have covered a 3rd of the stadium'.

2 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Yes, but that is because of Everton's exceptionally bad business in the transfer market over many years.  They've spent huge amounts of money on total crap.  That's what's turned them into a dumpster fire, not the stadium.

I mean, lets say the stadium overran in cost by £100m.  They SHOULD have been able to recoup that with a couple of player sales, it's only their batshit crazy transfer dealings which means they cant.  Us in their place could sell Luiz and McGinn to pay that overspend.    Most sensible Premium League teams could raise £100m with a few player sales if they were facing extinction otherwise.

We can go round in circles on this, it's somewhat chicken and egg in any case, but to be clear even if *we* could definitely avoid a relegation battle the next season having sold our best 2 or 3 players and not replaced them (and that's somewhat up for debate, but let's grant it for the sake of argument) most clubs outside the 'big 6' could not. 

2 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Would knocking down VP and recreating it on the same site be possible?

Obviously I don't know, but think i've seen some with knowledge of these things say it may not be due to space around the site etc.

That would probably be an ideal compromise.

Problem with that approach is that I don't think there'd be any suitable stadium here that we could share while we lacked one.

Alexander Stadium, not being a football stadium, I imagine would require quite a lot of work done (and it's probably too small given it only has two 'proper' stands), we'd have to groundshare The Hawthorns or god forbid St Andrews for half a decade. Definitely not worth it.

Spurs, with their many advantages of being a London club, could just borrow Wembley for a few years when they demolished White Hart Lane for their new stadium

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

We can go round in circles on this, it's somewhat chicken and egg in any case, but to be clear even if *we* could definitely avoid a relegation battle the next season having sold our best 2 or 3 players and not replaced them (and that's somewhat up for debate, but let's grant it for the sake of argument) most clubs outside the 'big 6' could not. 

We can go round in circles, but every team who have invested in their stadium for new grounds and new stands have done well out of it.  It's a model that's proven to make sound business sense for football.  To pretend otherwise is ignoring the facts.  Everton were absolutely right to seek a new stadium as they couldn't re-develop Goodison in the same way we are perfectly able to with Villa Park.  Their investment will prove to be a sound one in the long term.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, sidcow said:

We can go round in circles, but every team who have invested in their stadium for new grounds and new stands have done well out of it.  It's a model that's proven to make sound business sense for football.  To pretend otherwise is ignoring the facts.  Everton were absolutely right to seek a new stadium as they couldn't re-develop Goodison in the same way we are perfectly able to with Villa Park.  Their investment will prove to be a sound one in the long term.

I'm not saying it was the wrong decision. I'm saying it has nearly bankrupted the club. When they made the decision, they didn't know their owner would have to sell, that their player purchases wouldn't work out, that construction cost inflation would run rampant. Sometimes people can be right at the wrong time, and for reasons largely out of their control. That's just luck I guess. 

EDIT: Although it's probably worth adding, decisions around 'gold-plating' projects obviously leaves them more exposed to sudden increases in cost. This conversation started with @Stevo985 correctly pointing out that most clubs go for 'soulless bowls' because they're the cheapest. Everton have included features that elevate the project, but elevated the financial risk as well. Again, they weren't to foresee Russia invading Ukraine or Covid, but they knowingly increased the risk of the project. 

Edited by HanoiVillan
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, sidcow said:

We can go round in circles, but every team who have invested in their stadium for new grounds and new stands have done well out of it.  It's a model that's proven to make sound business sense for football.  

Also think this is pretty selective to be honest. There are plenty of second and third tier sides in England who have rebuilt stadia since the 90s. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Also think this is pretty selective to be honest. There are plenty of second and third tier sides in England who have rebuilt stadia since the 90s. 

I don't understand what you're saying? This surely proves it's a good idea.  they might well be out of business if they didn't have new stadiums, or at least a lot worse off with less/poorer corporate and big repair bills.

1 minute ago, sidcow said:

I don't understand what you're saying? This surely proves it's a good idea.  they might well be out of business if they didn't have new stadiums, or at least a lot worse off with less/poorer corporate and big repair bills.

I don't see what it 'proves' either way. I'm not denying that all things being equal, having a larger and/or more modern stadium is better. But it's not especially obvious that eg  Derby have 'done well out of it'. Building a new stadium is not a magic bullet. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Ask Coventry how this went

• Like 2