New Aston Villa Stadium Chat

VillaChris

3 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

It absolutely is what they would want tbh.

They have no affinity to VP. They want to be the most successful club possible and it’s easier to do that in a new stadium allowing us to make 5x what we make now (number plucked out of thin air).

Our stadium, whilst historic and meaningful is dated and a bit shit in a lot of places.

I can see the argument for staying there but given half the chance, and if they’re willing to accept the backlash from a bunch of dinosaurs on Villatalk, they’d move in a heartbeat. And Delphinho is all for that. 

$$$ - BRING ON THE VILLA BOWL!

ignoring the stadium for a minute, the area and the infrastructure kill us and have done for years, the locals have no huge affinity for VP either from my experience, neither do the government 

I'm not dead against a new stadium, I am dead against villa bowl and a complete new part of the city though - knock down stab city and build another facing brick masterpiece and it wont be so bad

3 minutes ago, nepal_villan said:

My family is coming over from California and I have hospitality for Sheffield United and Burnley matches and  I was surprised how easy it was to secure. I did reserve it 3-4 months in advance - so both our experiences could be true.

i struggled last season, wanted two tickets vs leeds and it seemed to be whichever salesman on the phone you spoke to, not sure if they're dabbling in returns or they're trying to push certain areas over others but i was phoning up once a week asking for one bar getting a no and then always being told different things when i asked well what have you got, the whole experience was a bit weird (but id also thoroughly recommend it)

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

It absolutely is what they would want tbh.

They have no affinity to VP. They want to be the most successful club possible and it’s easier to do that in a new stadium allowing us to make 5x what we make now (number plucked out of thin air).

Our stadium, whilst historic and meaningful is dated and a bit shit in a lot of places.

I can see the argument for staying there but given half the chance, and if they’re willing to accept the backlash from a bunch of dinosaurs on Villatalk, they’d move in a heartbeat. And Delphinho is all for that. 

$$$ - BRING ON THE VILLA BOWL!

I'm excited for the Villa Bowl. We can blow Spurs new Stadium out the water. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Pongo Waring said:

I'm excited for the Villa Bowl.

Surely you are joking? I can’t imagine anybody thinking this whose been to Villa Park and been to many of teams that have Bowl stadiums.

• Like 2

Actually, the only thing historic about Villa Park now, is the site. There isn’t a stand older than the 1970s. I’ve been going since the 1960s and there’s nothing of the old Villa Park left. If we ever did move into a mega stadium, near the centre of the city, I’d be all for it. It’s important to value a clubs history, just don’t frustrate the potential of the club with it.

• Like 1

Just now, meregreen said:

Actually, the only thing historic about Villa Park now, is the site. There isn’t a stand older than the 1970s. I’ve been going since the 1960s and there’s nothing of the old Villa Park left. If we ever did move into a mega stadium, near the centre of the city, I’d be all for it. It’s important to value a clubs history, just don’t frustrate the potential of the club with it.

No space in the city centre I wouldn’t have thought 

2 minutes ago, flamingsombrero said:

Just build us something akin to Kyle Field next to the NEC and slap the mosaic on it. Villa Park was irreparably vandalised long ago and the local infrastructure is never going to be what it needs to be.

That was the example I was thinking of (visually). Mind you, 100k+ capacity for college stadium is insane!

5 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

No space in the city centre I wouldn’t have thought 

I think we've discussed this before but Hammersons are seriously struggling and they own the Martinea Galleries site (from The Square Peg to the other side of the old Toys R Us) 

They've sat on the land for years with half arsed plans. 

It's tight but they might find a way to fit it in. 

1 minute ago, rubberman said:

That was the example I was thinking of (visually). Mind you, 100k+ capacity for college stadium is insane!

Yeah that sort of aesthetic but more in keeping with local architecture of the period. Distinct stands, at least from the exterior. rather than another soulless bowl  

5 minutes ago, ender4 said:

True. But as mentioned before, the easiest revenue raiser (like an extra £4.5m per year) would just be to get decent facilities to serve food and drink inside the stadium.  It can't cost much and the returns are huge.  But does Heck even know that we'd double our revenue if we could get served? Does he think this is what the current demand is inside the stadium for food and drink?

I agree, my point was that expense you mentioned in previous post might just be cosmetic cost and something short term updates but returns good revenue.  This wouldn’t stop the idea of moving to a new stadium imo.

I don’t think they are thinking of moving to a new stadium but I don’t think the changes mentioned would stop a  new stadium move in fact I would say it leans towards it because a new stadium will take 3-4 years to happen so cosmetic changes in current complex to bring in more revenue short term would be wise.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, flamingsombrero said:

Just build us something akin to Kyle Field next to the NEC and slap the mosaic on it. Villa Park was irreparably vandalised long ago and the local infrastructure is never going to be what it needs to be.

I agree with you about Villa Park being irreparably damaged and the problems with infrastructure. I can see reasoning behind a new stadium too but I will never be convinced into moving. 

Villa park isn't just the stadium to me. It's Aston Parish Church. It's Aston Hall. It's being able walk past these buildings on my way to the stadium.

I wish that the old Trinity Road stand hadn't been demolished and I'd love any future renovations to be a modernized version of that old design. But if we move away from Aston then mosaics, red brickwork and old Trinity road inspired designs get left behind us as this stand and now the Holte end was inspired by Aston Hall.

New location = Clean slate.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, AvonVillain said:

Simply no way we can allow a move away from VP. Aston Villa no longer in Aston? What next, change the kit from claret and blue to a 'lucky' red?

Building a new stadium makes absolutely zero financial sense. It only makes sense in London which has a different economy the the rest of the UK. London is a global powerhouse super city which has a lot of money about. 

Everton stadium was a complete ego trip and funded by Russian Oligarchy money. Man City and West Ham got gifted stadiums. Arsenal and Spurs are in London.