New Aston Villa Stadium Chat

VillaChris

They've said they're not going to move. However I don't believe a thing that Heck says on all honesty.

People have mentioned the Matalan Site. I've checked it out and that site plus surrounding industrial units would definitely be big enough. 

Obviously there are no railway stations immediately in the vicinity but on checking New Street station is EXACTLY the same walking time for me to get to where I park my car at Villa Park. The station I would actually use myself is Snow Hill and that's actually nearer than I currently walk! 

I still don't see a City Centre stadium though.  It's going to be The NEC of they move. 

As I've said earlier in this thread. I've worked for and with Americans frequently. Some of them would give you a big warming white toothed smile and reassure you there is absolutely no plans to move whilst typing an email about the move to a new stadium. 

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, sidcow said:

Where is this ground going to be with 2 x mainline railway stations on its doorstep and immediately off a motorway junction? 

Does Anfield have this? 

The location is actually great. 

Only The NEC would make sense to move from where we are now. 

In the city centre

7 minutes ago, paul514 said:

In the city centre

Have you seen real estate prices in Birmingham City Centre? 

As I've said above Matalan site may be viable but you'd still have to spend huge amounts of money buying the site. 

6 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Have you seen real estate prices in Birmingham City Centre? 

As I've said above Matalan site may be viable but you'd still have to spend huge amounts of money buying the site. 

I have and it costs loads to build a stadium too.....

Matalan would be viable but I still think the best place is between moor street queensway and corporation street. Between bull street and the priory queensway.

Whole place is a run down dive these days.

58 minutes ago, paul514 said:

Matalan would be viable but I still think the best place is between moor street queensway and corporation street. Between bull street and the priory queensway.

I'm pretty sure that that site in Dale End (if it was even remotely feasible) isn't actually big enough anyway.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, paul514 said:

Ah. Martineau Galleries.  Yes, it's run down because it's owned by Hammersons and they have redevelopment plans for it. But they're dragging their feet, probably because HS2 is still so far away and the plots of land will be eye-watering when that gets close to completion. They're not about to sell it to us for anything near an affordable price. 

In addition, believe it or not the plot isn't big enough anyway.  The length from Moor Street Queensway to Corporation Street (opposite The Square Peg is about 220m.  You would really need something more like 250m and that would be pavement to pavement without any circulation areas. They're not going to allow us to close Corporation Street for fans to exit on the roads. 

And width wise we'd need 150m which would mean the council would have to change the route of the tram they're currently building down Albert street.  I don't see anything that would convince them to do that. 

Essentially the site is too small and is a future goldmine for Hammerons so it will be way too expensive. 

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 1

There is a big plot just behind the ICC around St Marks Crescent.  Looks absolutely ripe for development. It would be easily big enough and central enough to support some shiny high rise towers. 

20 minutes walk to New Street Station. 

All the car parks of the ICC and Brindley place on the doorstep. 

That's the best place for me if we were to go city centre. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, sidcow said:

There is a big plot just behind the ICC around St Marks Crescent.  Looks absolutely ripe for development. It would be easily big enough and central enough to support some shiny high rise towers. 

20 minutes walk to New Street Station. 

All the car parks of the ICC and Brindley place on the doorstep. 

That's the best place for me if we were to go city centre. 

Where those crap flats are?

You may as well speculate we're putting a stadium in the moon - we aren't getting a new stadium any time soon, it's almost certainly not even been considered. We binned off building a new stand, we aren't committing to a magnitudes larger and much much more expensive much much more complex and much much longer building project. 

Stadium investments are going to be focused on cheaper small scale things that drive revenue for the foreseeable.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, paul514 said:

Where those crap flats are?

Looks like a load of cheap post war houses. Probably badly built with flat roofs.  I expect they're terribly insulated and will need replacing pdq anyway just to help meet the UKs carbon zero plans. 

Very low intensity housing for such a central area anyway.

Just a musing though.  For me it is a realistic central location if a move was to happen which I don't think will. 

1 hour ago, sidcow said:

Just a musing though.  For me it is a realistic central location if a move was to happen which I don't think will. 

They announced a massive regeneration project for Ladywood last year - the whole lot will be being rebuilt and redeveloped over the next twenty years - from Five Ways to Spring Hill Island - that one's gone.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

They announced a massive regeneration project for Ladywood last year - the whole lot will be being rebuilt and redeveloped over the next twenty years - from Five Ways to Spring Hill Island - that one's gone.

I doubt specific plans for specific plots are set in stone yet. If they had a development partner such as fortress group I'm sure an accommodation could be reached  

Edited by sidcow

1 hour ago, sidcow said:

Looks like a load of cheap post war houses. Probably badly built with flat roofs.  I expect they're terribly insulated and will need replacing pdq anyway just to help meet the UKs carbon zero plans. 

Very low intensity housing for such a central area anyway.

I'm pretty sure that a planning application has already been submitted for to put mixed mode retail., commercial and residential in on that site. (A friend is involved.) Not a stopper, but if that consent is granted the price of the land will shoot up. BCC wants more residential in the city centre.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, paul514 said:

In the city centre

I never want to move from Villa Park but if we had no choice, I definitely don’t want to be in the City or close to it, I couldn’t think of anywhere worse.  It would be far better on a big piece of land just outside the city that could be catered for a massive stadium properly, with proper travel infrastructure built and also close links to the motorway.  The city idea would just be a complete nightmare.

30 minutes ago, nick76 said:

I never want to move from Villa Park but if we had no choice, I definitely don’t want to be in the City or close to it, I couldn’t think of anywhere worse.  It would be far better on a big piece of land just outside the city that could be catered for a massive stadium properly, with proper travel infrastructure built and also close links to the motorway.  The city idea would just be a complete nightmare.

other than the NEC where is the public transport infrastructure for outside the city

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, paul514 said:

other than the NEC where is the public transport infrastructure for outside the city

Bodymoor Heath maybe.

Not that it matters, I don't think there's a new stadium on the horizon. 

• Like 1