• Coutinho (Luiz 64)
    • Tielemans (Bailey 64)
    • Carlos (Diaby 64)
    • Durán (Watkins 74)
    • Archer (Coutlnho 83)
  2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 22/08/23 at 22:59

Good result though I was shocked at how bad Everton where. It was like seeing an aged relative you hadn't since for a while taking a steep physical decline.  They are in big trouble.

McGinn has picked up from where he left last season, Bailey looking good, new signing adding extra quality.

Basically everything good apart from the Holte Terrace fiasco but that is just a small quibble. 

5 hours ago, Nigel said:

Why can't we have regular stretchers like other clubs?

I thought that too. It can't have helped Coutinho's injury to have limped off and then walked around half of the pitch, "supported" with some difficulty, by two of our non-playing staff. Amazing to see the stretcher trolly staff move it out of the way, so that Coutinho could get past it more easily as he approached the player's tunnel. If you have it why not use it, rather than risk further aggravating an injury?:rolleyes:

3 hours ago, Villatillidie95 said:

Just got home, what a great result. It’s always good when there are 4 different goal scorers! I was surprised at how many villa fans in north stand upper left on 90 mins though when we still had 9 mins left!

Perhaps they wanted to get home in daylight? Getting away from the ground after the game, hasn't got any better has it? I spent so long on the road near Witton Station, that the police must have thought that I was waiting to give a passenger a lift from the station..;) 

1 hour ago, sheepyvillian said:

Some of these Wolves supporters are not the brightest lamps. Loads of them complaining about the Watkins penalty incident saying they were denied a penalty last week for, ito, a far worse challenge from the United keeper last week. Are they totally forgetting that the official who made that decision came out and fully apologised for getting it wrong. Obviously, they wasn't going to make the same mistake twice in one week. 

Those bloody Dingles. 

Mind the gap (already). :D

2 hours ago, bobzy said:

It was nowhere near poor.  Luiz and Digne were booked for almost identical pull backs (Keane was too for Everton) and he booked other Everton players for bookable offences - even giving one to Pickford for delaying the penalty take.  I agree that the booking for Archer was harsh but, that aside, it was basically absolutely spot on.

The niggly fouls you speak of weren't bookable offences at all.  I don't even think there were many of them to be honest - I'm struggling to name one outside of Coutinho being caught by Garner which, whilst unfortunate for Coutinho that he picked up an injury, was a pretty innocuous challenge.

That was about as good a refereeing performance as you'll see this season.  It's laughable how many people on here (not aimed at you) seem to focus on refs.  Someone in the match thread even suggested the Pickford challenge on Watkins was worth a red card ffs :D 

(Edit:  Actually on niggly fouls, I think Doucoure maybe made two or three and could've been booked.  But yeah, barely game changing stuff)

You might be right. Thinking back after unwinding, the ref was mostly unnoticeable,  which is actually probably a good indicator that they weren't bad. Nothing particularly stands out to me one way or the other.

And by current PL standards, I wouldn't be surprised if that was one of the best performances we'll see this season.

Ah well, I'll stand by my poor and hope that we do see some better performances... but won't be holding my breath.

Newcastle ref + VAR was definitely MILES worse.

• Thanks 1

I mean whats most satisfying for me is i dont even think we played that well. But we ran riot. 

Some excellent performances.  Mcginn digne diaby and bailey.

I think carlos was brillaint when he came on too. 

Also delighted for duran with the goal

5 hours ago, CVByrne said:

Coutinho injury has ruined the day. Why do we get a crippling injury per week. Not being able to ever sell him now 

Would not be a good idea to sell Aaron Ramsey now, for the next few months him and Zaniolo are our only 10s.

We did exactly what we needed to do, which was a relief after what happened last week. Everton looked very poor, but they still had players on the pitch that could have hurt us. Solid performance and the new boys looked good. It's a good job that the game went a bit flat in the second half. Wouldn't have been ideal to have 100+ minutes of high intensity when we've got another game in 3 days.

The injuries stacking up is taking the piss a bit. Can't wait to get the absentees from preseason back so we can start rotating as the fixtures congest a bit.

Edited by JoshVilla
Typo

Btw I think Pickford should have been sent off during the penalty kick. He was booked for **** around but then continued to **** around, specifically smacking the crossbar several times:

The goalkeeper must not behave
in a way that unfairly distracts the kicker, e.g. delay the taking of the kick or touch the goalposts, crossbar or goal net.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, rjw63 said:

What’s Colin Kapernick doing on MOTD?

He’s just said “goals change football matches “.

Really Col? Ya don’t say!

Edited by rjw63
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, rjw63 said:

Only two matches today and we are still on last.

BBC sploogetubes.

C’mon, moneybags Chelsea getting spanked and their latest £100m+ signing conceding a penalty on his debut against ten men is so funny it needs to go on straight away. 

Can we play Everton every week?

Our midfield was great and special mention to Bailey, who got better as the game went on. An assist and a goal - lovely.

3 things I learned:

• Being concerned about the line-up at kick-off, clearly I know nothing about football
  • We can win without Mings
  • Ashely Young is still a good player for us :trollface:
  • Like 2

Great reply after last week. The team can settle into some kind of rhythm now after last week's last minute disruption.

Some nice play that could have given us a few more goals but back to 0 GD which is a good effort after last Saturday.

SJM captains performance and good to see him score at home again, onwards and upwards with a nice trip home for him on Wednesday.

3 hours ago, The_Rev said:

C’mon, moneybags Chelsea getting spanked and their latest £100m+ signing conceding a penalty on his debut against ten men is so funny it needs to go on straight away. 

Yes, it was worth the wait just to watch the look on Pochettino’s face and the WTF look of Chelsea’s new (and by now considerably less rich) owners.