• Coutinho (Luiz 64)
    • Tielemans (Bailey 64)
    • Carlos (Diaby 64)
    • Durán (Watkins 74)
    • Archer (Coutlnho 83)
  2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 22/08/23 at 22:59

27 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Anyone voting “average” or below on the refereeing performance is utterly mad, as well. 

Really? It was poor. Injuries happened to our players because Everton had been allowed to make repeated niggly fouls without getting booked. Then he books Archer for basically being ran into by the Everton player.

There was one other very soft yellows he gave us too. It wasn't the worst reffing performance we'll see this season for sure, but we can thank Everton for being rubbish that the poor decisions didn't have more of an impact on the scoreline. Sadly, it saw Coutinho get pushed in the back and now he's injured for months. 

• Like 1

I was trying to remember when they beat us 4-0 in the league, just looked it up, it was November 2015, but now eight years later it's the other way round. How things have changed... I know they've been struggling the last few years but still I really am surprised we've ended up beating them in all of our last five PL meetings! And then there's also unbeaten in all nine since our promotion.

5 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

Really? It was poor. Injuries happened to our players because Everton had been allowed to make repeated niggly fouls without getting booked. Then he books Archer for basically being ran into by the Everton player.

There was one other very soft yellows he gave us too. It wasn't the worst reffing performance we'll see this season for sure, but we can thank Everton for being rubbish that the poor decisions didn't have more of an impact on the scoreline. Sadly, it saw Coutinho get pushed in the back and now he's injured for months. 

It was nowhere near poor.  Luiz and Digne were booked for almost identical pull backs (Keane was too for Everton) and he booked other Everton players for bookable offences - even giving one to Pickford for delaying the penalty take.  I agree that the booking for Archer was harsh but, that aside, it was basically absolutely spot on.

The niggly fouls you speak of weren't bookable offences at all.  I don't even think there were many of them to be honest - I'm struggling to name one outside of Coutinho being caught by Garner which, whilst unfortunate for Coutinho that he picked up an injury, was a pretty innocuous challenge.

That was about as good a refereeing performance as you'll see this season.  It's laughable how many people on here (not aimed at you) seem to focus on refs.  Someone in the match thread even suggested the Pickford challenge on Watkins was worth a red card ffs :D 

(Edit:  Actually on niggly fouls, I think Doucoure maybe made two or three and could've been booked.  But yeah, barely game changing stuff)

Edited by bobzy
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, smg said:

Great result . Thought the crowd were poor second half, 4-0 up and barely a whisper. In the last half hour.  Keen  as f**k to get loud when things go badly yet can’t be arsed to celebrate a 4-0 lead and I don’t accept a cheer at the end is good enough.

Were you in the crowd cheering the boys on?

• Like 2

Some of these Wolves supporters are not the brightest lamps. Loads of them complaining about the Watkins penalty incident saying they were denied a penalty last week for, ito, a far worse challenge from the United keeper last week. Are they totally forgetting that the official who made that decision came out and fully apologised for getting it wrong. Obviously, they wasn't going to make the same mistake twice in one week. 

Those bloody Dingles. 

Edited by sheepyvillian

Just got back.

Thought the ref did ok, seen a lot, lot worse, but some of the bookings seemed soft.

We played very well, but I guess that was part due to how awful Everton were. It is going to be a long season for them.

Our defence played very well without Tyrone, and it was great to be able to be part of singing his song, get well soon!

Pickford, what an idiot, Englands number 1! He was very poor. Did make a good save though.

As for little Phil, how come the poor bloke has to be dragged around half the perimeter of the pitch? What happened to using a stretcher?

• Like 3

3 hours ago, smg said:

Great result . Thought the crowd were poor second half, 4-0 up and barely a whisper. In the last half hour.  Keen  as f**k to get loud when things go badly yet can’t be arsed to celebrate a 4-0 lead and I don’t accept a cheer at the end is good enough.

Too one sided. I've seen it loads of times, and not just at Villa Park. It's those end to end classics that get the pulses racing. Don't get me wrong, had it been a top team we done that too, such as United and Newcastle last season, it would have created more noise.

Whatever, it's happy days. 

• Like 1

Oh, a question - immediately after half time, VAR checked for something in our box, with the referee asking Martinez to delay taking the goal kick while they did. I (and I'm guessing most other people in the ground) had absolutely no idea what they were checking - there didn't seem to have been any sort of visible incident - does anyone know what it was?

• Like 1

Just what the doctor ordered, a real tonic after last weeks blues. A professional performance against a poor Everton.

Lots to be pleased about.

• SJM back on top form ready for the Hibs game.
  • 8 consecutive home wins.
  • A clean sheet.
  • Winning the game early to allow players to be rested.
  • Diaby looks good and seemed to have a positive influence on Bailey
  • Jhon Duran developing into a player who might take some of the load off Ollie.
  • A decent opportunity to experiment with the 3 centre backs.
  • All midfield combinations looking solid.

The only dampners/areas for improvement - Ollie's form, Phil's injury when he seemed to be enjoying himself & the reluctance to venture down the left flank even when wide open. 

A good reset after last weekend and a needed restart to the rest of the season.

Onwards.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

Some of these Wolves supporters are not the brightest lamps. Loads of them complaining about the Watkins penalty incident saying they were denied a penalty last week for, ito, a far worse challenge from the United keeper last week. Are they totally forgetting that the official who made that decision came out and fully apologised for getting it wrong. Obviously, they wasn't going to make the same mistake twice in one week. 

Those bloody Dingles. 

I think behind the scenes they probably told Refs to watch carefully the contacts between keepers and forwards and give penalties for any that seemed dangerous play which Pickford flying into Ollie obviously was.

That probably gets "missed" if you didn't have the furore over the Wolves incident.

• Like 1

Good confident performance. Exactly what we needed.

I was going to give McGinn POTM but Digne gets so much stick on here and I have to say he sent in some really lovely crosses today.

please no more serious injuries. I was hoping Bailey’s goal would help give him some confidence and kick on.

1 hour ago, VillaChris said:

I think behind the scenes they probably told Refs to watch carefully the contacts between keepers and forwards and give penalties for any that seemed dangerous play which Pickford flying into Ollie obviously was.

That probably gets "missed" if you didn't have the furore over the Wolves incident.

But VAR shouldn't be missing incidents of that nature, hence the apology. 

1 hour ago, OutByEaster? said:

Oh, a question - immediately after half time, VAR checked for something in our box, with the referee asking Martinez to delay taking the goal kick while they did. I (and I'm guessing most other people in the ground) had absolutely no idea what they were checking - there didn't seem to have been any sort of visible incident - does anyone know what it was?

A possible handball by Konsa. Nothing to it whatsoever. 

• Thanks 1

Â