• Coutinho (Luiz 64)
    • Tielemans (Bailey 64)
    • Carlos (Diaby 64)
    • Durán (Watkins 74)
    • Archer (Coutlnho 83)
  2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 22/08/23 at 22:59

35 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Yeah, I get it was Sunday, but it was absolutely bizarre to be able to clearly hear our manager shouting to the players while we're 4-0 up at home.

I blame Everton. You almost feel bad for them. Like picking on the little kid in school. 

• Haha 2

We didn't really have to get out a second gear for much of the game such was the difference in quality both in terms of us having superior players and being head and shoulders above Everton tactically.

To win 4-0 and it be a score line that didn't flatten us whilst not being at our best, and definitely taking our foot off the gas the last 30 mins, bodes really well. It certainly affected the atmosphere though it being so easy for us.

McGinn was man of the match for me. Special mention to Digne as well who often gets unwarranted stick but today he was excellent. I think the only player who was off it was Ollie whose touch at times was really poor but he still put a shift in. 

• Like 3

Played well against a very poor team, they are the mirror of us when we got relegated. Poor for a few season before the inevitable happens. Bailey, Digne both had good games but head and shoulders the best player on the pitch was McGinn. When he plays well the team plays well, he sets the tone. 

• Like 1

The atmosphere raised a bit when our 4th went in, but I can understand why the atmosphere dropped off. I sit near the top of the Holte and it was as quiet as I've ever heard it.

It was like watching a training game. There was more intensity in the Lazio friendly. It was the most comfortable win I've seen for as long as I can remember. We were just going through the motions after the 4th went in, and Everton seemed to have given up. In circumstances like that, it's hardly surprising the ground wasn't rocking.

• Like 2

Just got home, what a great result. It’s always good when there are 4 different goal scorers! I was surprised at how many villa fans in north stand upper left on 90 mins though when we still had 9 mins left!

everton away support was very poor, there must have been 200 left by final whistle. Was happy that LEON BAILEY managed to get a nice assist and goal 

McGinn MOTM.

Bailey much improved.

Luiz and Kamara dominated.

Diaby looks a threat, unlucky not to score....seems to have a great ability of finding space and dragging defenders out of their positions.

Pau Torres looks good but did get caught out ball-watching with a give and go.

Digne was good too yet could be his last game for Villa.

Villa didn't get out of second gear, could have been six or eight. Yet perhaps saving themselves for Wednesday as I'd imagine most of that team will start the game.

Evernot look desperate, Pickford shouldn't be England's number One but that's another debate.

Some nice little moments in there too:

The pre-match screens were peculiar - I'm not sure who decided to present each player standing in Villa Park like a bewildered giant, but it looked ridiculous - the emergence fromm darkness under ominous tones of evil Unai, as if he were Darth Vader, was however welcomingly hilarious (even if not deliberately so).

Duran calling on the little boy with the Colombia flag to give him his shirt was lovely - he's a good egg.

I liked Pickford deciding he was injured to delay the penalty, then leaping up to get his point across to the referee as the argument went on above him, the Everton trainer, who had run on to treat an injured man, ran past Pickford and comically scanned the floor for his patient, wondering if he'd somehow missed him. Sympathetically, Pickford did a little limp back to his goal line so as not to have wasted his trip, before wandering off it and getting booked. Short armed wazzock.

And I'm very much hoping that Elmohamady in a suit will be an ongoing feature of all our halftime activities this season - who wouldn't want to look their best when keeping out halftime penalties from competition winners? I can't wait to see what they do with him next.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Such a strange game. I didn’t think we were that good - some decision making in the final third in particular was usually poor… and yet we absolutely cruised the game.

We’ll have to play a lot better to be in the European hunt again this season, but it was probably exactly what we needed after the Newcastle game.

Everton are in serious bother. 

Easy win today, didn't need to get out of 2nd gear second half, McGinn ran the gsme he was immense today. Yes Everton were very poor but chuffed we put four past them, I thought Villa was pretty quiet for large parts of the game.

1 hour ago, Tomaszk said:

We'll play better than that and lose this season.

A sign of how bad Everton were and probably true.

I can think of some games last season where we were better and lost. 

I was expecting a comfortable win, given the competence of Everton, and the reaction I thought Emery would get from the players. 

That's not too undermine the result,  a 4-0 win is a great result in the Premier league, and although the performance wasn't vintage it was very effective. 

Now to make that goal difference positive and to see the start of this seasons first winning streak in midweek. 

• Like 1

Â