• Coutinho (Luiz 64)
    • Tielemans (Bailey 64)
    • Carlos (Diaby 64)
    • Durán (Watkins 74)
    • Archer (Coutlnho 83)
  2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 22/08/23 at 22:59

A comfortable win but we won’t have many easier games.  Everton were awful and look doomed to another relegation battle. 

I feel we could and probably should have had more if we’d upped the intensity a bit more second half and really gone for it, but I guess there was one eye on midweek.

McGinn was outstanding, especially first half, Luiz very good and Digne had a great first half, with several excellent crosses. 

Watkins had one of his poor control / poor finishing days, although I think he was getting a bit of stick off their CBs.  Glad he’s off penalties. 

Cash wasn’t great at either end and I think an upgrade at RB would really help us.  That said, I’m glad Ashley Young wasn’t playing for us today.

Diego looked very calm and collected and is a proper unit.

Bailey showing he can do it in home games even if he is a passenger in away games.

Had no issues with the ref for once, although the challenge that injured Bailey looked like it could have been a pen.

Great result . Thought the crowd were poor second half, 4-0 up and barely a whisper. In the last half hour.  Keen  as f**k to get loud when things go badly yet can’t be arsed to celebrate a 4-0 lead and I don’t accept a cheer at the end is good enough.

Very harsh to be critical of Archer today, game was absolutely done and dusted and the intensity levels of all the players had gone. Our defenders and midfielders weren't looking for key forward passes and just controlling the game out. Hopefully he'll get more minutes on Wednesday

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, smg said:

Great result . Thought the crowd were poor second half, 4-0 up and barely a whisper. In the last half hour.  Keen  as f**k to get loud when things go badly yet can’t be arsed to celebrate a 4-0 lead and I don’t accept a cheer at the end is good enough.

Yeah, I get it was Sunday, but it was absolutely bizarre to be able to clearly hear our manager shouting to the players while we're 4-0 up at home.

1 minute ago, Davkaus said:

Yeah, I get it was Sunday, but it was absolutely bizarre to be able to clearly hear our manager shouting to the players while we're 4-0 up at home.

Problem is if we do well there are going to be a lot of Sunday matches this season and the fans need to find a way of getting behind the team.

Weird gameplan from Everton. Blocked off the middle but gave us so much space on the flanks, especially the left. I guess that would have worked 10 years ago but modern centerbacks will pick that setup apart if they aren't being pressed. 

• Like 2

Great result, team looked good, nicely composed. We finished with Duran and Archer on! I mean, you'd think it was a friendly...

Really sad about Coutinho, I thought he looked quite bright.

Even Bailey started to make an impact after an awkward start (which included him falling over his own feet whilst practically standing still at on point).

Diaby excellent (should have had a goal of the season contender, so unlucky). SJM was immense. Liz was excellent. Cash and Digne did really well, although both prone to a few mistakes still.

Watkins... Again made a number of mistakes and failed to take chances. He's a good player definitely, but can be frustrating.

Carlos looked good, Pau is settling, Tielemans didn't do anything wrong (although I was a tad underwhelmed).

Can't wait to see Zaniolo in this side.

Caveat: Everton gave one of the worst performances I've ever seen from a team at Villa Park (and I include Villa in that). No press, no desire, no talent... I can't see where they go from here, they are simply a mess.

Edited by Lichfield Dean

That was weird. Like playing a lower league team in a friendly and you just expect to win comfortably. Fairly flat atmosphere, as I think it was just so easy. Absolutely flabbergasted at how bad everton were. Maybe that shows how well we played, but conceding two goals from throw-ins like that was weird. 

Great to see some 'fringe' players get a decent run out. Great to see Duran score, read a poor throw in, took a terrible touch then an excellent finish. Weird but I'll take it. 

Bad stuff: Watkins has had an iffy start to the season, and yet another bad injury. We'll be playing the u18s and the ladies team by May at this rate. 

I don't like the extra 15 minutes with the injury time. It's a long time to stand, and I reckon it'll cause injuries to mount. Neither team could be bothered to play that additional nine minutes in the second half. 

Edited by blunther

Â