• Coutinho (Luiz 64)
    • Tielemans (Bailey 64)
    • Carlos (Diaby 64)
    • Durán (Watkins 74)
    • Archer (Coutlnho 83)
  2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 22/08/23 at 22:59

10 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

That's exactly it TRO, quick to criticise, but then begrudge him some admiration. 

Think of all the great wingers we've had, Walters, Morley, Daley even Ray Graydon. They would often frustrate, but when they were on it, you quickly forgot the frustration. Remember how Tony Morley would say that Saunders would never give him any credit or say "well done", that was Ron's way of winding Morley up and getting the best out of him, hence, the two fingers from TM to RS when Morley scored that absolute peach at Goodison Park. It was great psychology, some players get told how good they are and start to think that's a given and forget it also requires hard work and commitment. 

I think Morley was gifted, by having such a good team behind him, and Mortimer made those penetrative runs in to the oppositions half, laying it off, relatively late, so Morley, didn't have so far to run, and all his energy was directed at beating his man and crossing.

Edited by TRO

9 minutes ago, TRO said:

You Are right, Sheepy....wingers are notoriously inconsistent.

They are too easy to stop, and today, by any means.

I think its incumbent of a team, to get the best out of a winger, by creating space for them to play in......as easy to double up on them.

Its not an easy job, but the very best, find a way to deceive their opponent.

Of course they do and Bailey has proven a few times just how deadly he can be. That's why Emery picked him and Bailey repaid that faith. Yes, he needs to be more consistent, but let's give credit where it's due.

Cash is another who lacks consistency, but, with him, I think it's self - confidence. It's like he let's a mistake overwhelm him instead of attempting to rectify his errors. 

Hopefully, Emery can help him to have more self - belief in his capabilities, otherwise, he may well struggle to occupy that position on a regular basis. 

On 21/08/2023 at 00:10, Tomaszk said:

I don't think he'll be happy with a lot of that performance.

After the change to 3 at the back we lost a bit of control. **** me, Unai loves control. He was really going mad at points at 3 and 4 nil up because we were pissing about.

Good point, ironically I don't think we played amazingly well, three of the goals were massive cock ups by Everton including two from throw ins and it was like playing a Sunday league team.

On Pickford, he could have been booked about four times at the penalty.

He went down and faked an injury.

Then he got in the refs face for a bit of an argument.

Then he scuffed the penalty spot with his foot.

Then he limped a bit more.

Then he wandered off behind the goal to have a drink of water.

Then he wandered back up to Dougie and got booked.

Then he went in goal and rattled the bar a bit.

And he should have been booked for the challenge in the first place!

On 21/08/2023 at 08:26, alreadyexists said:

Might be controversial but I didn’t think Bailey was that good yesterday, I just read a Sky match report and it said how much he shone… other than the goal (which was good to be fair, right place right time) I don’t think he played well. Am I being too harsh on him?  🤷🏻‍♂️ 

Nope, not harsh at all. He wasn't great in general play.

He was OK, definitely above average for Bailey.

Lovely assist, nice finish where he made good movement to get the chance. Did some sloppy stuff around all that. All good.

More of those games and less of the absolute stinkers and he's on his way to success at Villa.

Â