• Coutinho (Luiz 64)
    • Tielemans (Bailey 64)
    • Carlos (Diaby 64)
    • Durán (Watkins 74)
    • Archer (Coutlnho 83)
  2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 22/08/23 at 22:59

4 hours ago, Spoony said:

Btw I think Pickford should have been sent off during the penalty kick. He was booked for **** around but then continued to **** around, specifically smacking the crossbar several times:

The goalkeeper must not behave
in a way that unfairly distracts the kicker, e.g. delay the taking of the kick or touch the goalposts, crossbar or goal net.

Not really sure why he wasn’t given a yellow for his southpaw effort on Ollie. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, briny_ear said:

Not really sure why he wasn’t given a yellow for his southpaw effort on Ollie. 

Yeah he should have been booked for the initial challenge then booked again for the afters, but let's be honest we all know that's exactly where these new rules will fall apart and the guaranteed yellow for kicking the ball away or delaying a pk will be replaced with final warnings instead (especially if you play for a sky 6 team or Newcastle)

• Like 1

Might be controversial but I didn’t think Bailey was that good yesterday, I just read a Sky match report and it said how much he shone… other than the goal (which was good to be fair, right place right time) I don’t think he played well. Am I being too harsh on him?  🤷🏻‍♂️ 

• Confused 1
  • Shocked 1

54 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

Might be controversial but I didn’t think Bailey was that good yesterday, I just read a Sky match report and it said how much he shone… other than the goal (which was good to be fair, right place right time) I don’t think he played well. Am I being too harsh on him?  🤷🏻‍♂️ 

His assist for SJM’s goal was pretty good too, and that move threw Everton off their game plan and started the slaughter so it was significant. I thought he was good, shredding Everton’s defence a few times, although Everton were so bad it is hard to judge completely objectively.

Edited by briny_ear
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Spoony said:

Btw I think Pickford should have been sent off during the penalty kick. He was booked for **** around but then continued to **** around, specifically smacking the crossbar several times:

The goalkeeper must not behave
in a way that unfairly distracts the kicker, e.g. delay the taking of the kick or touch the goalposts, crossbar or goal net.

Definitely. After the booking he did the jump up and make the bar shake thing, which is a booking these days. Don't know if we'll ever see the day a ref has the stones to make two quick bookings to a keeper like that though.

I'd argue he should have been booked for the challenge too since he stopped Watkins from nodding it in.

10 hours ago, rjw63 said:

Only two matches today and we are still on last.

BBC sploogetubes.

We were on first last week! I think I'll take later in the show and handing out the thrashing rather than the other way round.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, alreadyexists said:

Yeah.....He played much better.

you have to give credit, where its due..............irrespective of your overall view on the player.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, TRO said:

you have to give credit, where its due..............irrespective of you overall view on the player.

Definitely, and I’ve been quite supportive of LB to be honest and in general. I want him to do well, I just didn’t think that performance stood out. I wasn’t at the ground though, just watching on a small screen so maybe I’ll have another watch and see if I’m doing him a disservice! 

4 hours ago, sidcow said:

What? Are our stretchers made out of bananas or something?

It was a reference to the 4 people that carried little Phil for about 20 minutes around the pitch after he was hurt

4 minutes ago, Nigel said:

It was a reference to the 4 people that carried little Phil for about 20 minutes around the pitch after he was hurt

4 people who in their professional judgement didn't call for a stretcher. 

10 hours ago, alreadyexists said:

He's a winger, he's always going to blow hot and cold, that's par for the course with a lot of wingers. You are being harsh, imo. That assist was as good an assist you will see all season, that kind of pace with the ball at his feet and to see McGinn make that little run and pick him out, that was sheer class. How can people rave about how good this manager is, and then question his judgement about who he picks? I think he knows what Bailey can bring to the table, and that was certainly on show Sunday. 

That kind of pace and close control is always a nightmare for the opposition, but as I said, wingers are notoriously inconsistent. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, TRO said:

you have to give credit, where its due..............irrespective of you overall view on the player.

That's exactly it TRO, quick to criticise, but then begrudge him some admiration. 

Think of all the great wingers we've had, Walters, Morley, Daley even Ray Graydon. They would often frustrate, but when they were on it, you quickly forgot the frustration. Remember how Tony Morley would say that Saunders would never give him any credit or say "well done", that was Ron's way of winding Morley up and getting the best out of him, hence, the two fingers from TM to RS when Morley scored that absolute peach at Goodison Park. It was great psychology, some players get told how good they are and start to think that's a given and forget it also requires hard work and commitment. 

Edited by sheepyvillian
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, alreadyexists said:

Definitely, and I’ve been quite supportive of LB to be honest and in general. I want him to do well, I just didn’t think that performance stood out. I wasn’t at the ground though, just watching on a small screen so maybe I’ll have another watch and see if I’m doing him a disservice! 

Firstly, I respect your view.

I have been critical of him, on the whole, but for me, that was more like the Leon Bailey, I want to see.

I am being cautious here, because Leon does not generally like pressure or traffic and Everton was a tad benevolent, in that respect......against a more pressing team, he might slip back to normal.

But I can only comment on what I saw....so Bravo Leon, more please.

2 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

That's exactly it TRO, quick to criticise, but then begrudge him some admiration. 

Think of all the great wingers we've had, Walters, Morley, Daley even Ray Graydon. They would often frustrate, but when they were on it, you quickly forgot the frustration. Remember how Tony Morley would say that Saunders would never give him any credit or say "well done", that was Ron's way of winding Morley up and getting the best out of him, hence, the two fingers from TM to RS when Morley scored that absolute peach at Goodison Park. It was great psychology, some players get told how good they are and start to think that's a given and forget it also requires hard work and commitment. 

You Are right, Sheepy....wingers are notoriously inconsistent.

They are too easy to stop, and today, by any means.

I think its incumbent of a team, to get the best out of a winger, by creating space for them to play in......as easy to double up on them.

Its not an easy job, but the very best, find a way to deceive their opponent.

Â