Match Thread: Newcastle v Villa

limpid

We're just not quite there - a half second off sharp.

We look bright whenever Diaby gets on it, but Watkins has been subdued and Bailey largely forced into a defensive role.

McGinn and Kamara are battling and Doug got better as the game went on, but he started really poorly and Kamara has started giving the ball away a lot.

Konsa and Pau look solid enough - such a shame for Ty, he's worked so hard under Emery and improved a great deal - to have a setback at this stage is terrible for him.

Digne and Cash have been sort of okay - not an easy game for either of them - we really, really, really need Digne to avoid a second yellow.

• Like 2

Would like to see this starting second half. 

Martinez

Cash       Konsa           Pau       Digne

Kamara         Luiz

Tielemans                    

McGinn                Diaby
                              Watkins

• Like 4

Cash played Botman onside and the ref didn't give an offside against Digne, he gave a foul for Kamara blocking Trippier off. Clutching at straws blaming the officiating for us losing here.

End of the half Villa got flagged for an offside practically identical to their second goal.

How in the h*** was their second not offside? Commentators never said it was onside or offside, no comment....I smell some corruption here. Jimmy Floyd just said it was a foul on Cash too...

If Villa get anything against dodgy officials it will be a miracle.

Bailey is shocking, again.

1 minute ago, The_Steve said:

Burn fouls Cash in the build up and nothing given. Digne gets a bizarre offside call and the Geordies get a foul from a set piece similar to what happened to Cash. Not even a VAR replay for Joelinton taking out Dougie's legs for the pen.

Exactly, officiating is getting worse. I don't understand the rules anymore and neither do they

30 minutes ago, Villa87 said:

Haven’t got endless money. Won’t be able to replace what Mings gives. 

I think we’re underestimating PAU… big signing for us and will get to play in his natural position… EL winning CB, CL CB…

Aided by Carlos, EL winning CB 

And focus Konsa at CB who has been brilliant under Unai.

Bring in a RB to push Cash.

Still so upsetting about Ty… but we shouldn’t be despondent at all…

1 minute ago, MrBlack said:

Is the rule that the player receiving the pass can be in an offside position provided it goes via one other person intentionally first (and that person was onside)?

Yes

We’ve not looked good but we are only 1 goal down. We should maybe be level with them. We need to be sharper defensively and we need to play the ball better. Bailey needs to come off and we should move McGinn on the right side, we should’ve started McGinn on that side anyway since he usually has the better of Burn.

I’d like to see Philogene on in the second half.

This was always going to be a tough first game of the season but we can get a result here.

2 minutes ago, Indigo said:

What happened to Mings has put a dampener on this whole game for me, whatever happens. I'm absolutely gutted for him.

In terms of the game itself, I don't like getting on players' backs but this half has just continued to affirm that Bailey isn't good enough outside of isolated moments and we still need a right back. For that second goal Cash is again breaking the offside line by standing two yards behind it and playing everyone on. He's a decent player but not at the level we want to be at, and feels like one of VERY few players that haven't kicked on under Emery.

I don't think Cash has been that bad...not to say he's been great, but he's not the problem. He's been in quite the battle with Gordon. The offside has nothing to do with his skill level.

We've been losing this game in midfield. Doug and Kamara have not been exerting much influence.