How high can we finish next season

Vive_La_Villa

Second. If we make some good signings and continue our good form into the new season, I think we have a great chance of rubbing shoulders with the top teams. I have a small flutter on us to win the league. I think we have a huge chance of top 4. My main concern is how playing on Thursdays will affect us in the league. 

• 4 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, supermon said:

I feel like clubs and media are taking note of what Emery and co are cooking. Lot of tweets saying watch out for Villa, can Villa finish top 4 from media and rival fans.

Usually this comes with the signings, they then forget. Better to go under radar. We’ll have tough games to start with so we have to get something from them, if we did they’ll very much notice us by then.

I think we could finish as high as 2nd. I think it is likely we finish 4th-6th. Spurs and Chelsea miss Europe again. We jump past Brighton. 

Liverpool probably finish 3rd, then us, utd, and Newcastle get the next 3. 

4 hours ago, MotoMkali said:

I think we could finish as high as 2nd. I think it is likely we finish 4th-6th. Spurs and Chelsea miss Europe again. We jump past Brighton. 

Liverpool probably finish 3rd, then us, utd, and Newcastle get the next 3. 

I'm not sure about Newcastle, beat their press and they really struggle. I think we will finish above them, Howe has hit his ceiling. I can see them struggling,  starting with possibly their most difficult game first, judging from last season. 

On 10/06/2023 at 19:34, VillaParkAvenue said:

I’d be ecstatic with 6th and hopefully Europa League qualification.

Chelsea will most likely be miles better next season and Spurs could be too. It’s possible Villa could perform at a very high level next season and still ”only” finish 9th or 10th. The Prem is a difficult place these days.

I can see Chelsea being a bit better because I see no way they could be as bad again but looking at there squad they have very little in midfield and defensively they seem to be depending on a 39 year old albeit a very good one so I would say top 8 for them is likely but I don’t see them in the mix for top 4. 

spurs I see next to no improvement in that squad unless they get very busy in the market in the next few weeks. I don’t see Maddison making a huge difference, Kane if he stays will be eying up his massive payday on a free transfer, son is in free fall due to his pace disappearing and Bentoncur who I really like is out until probably October and an injury like that will take a while to get up to speed.

Brighton I think will be around 10th I think, still a decent side but overachieved  last year and will struggle with Europe and the league i think. 

for us and yes I have rose tinted glasses on but we have one of the most elite managers in the world, probably the top keeper in the world, huge depth In quality at cb with two recent europa league winners, full backs perhaps a bit light. Midfield looks stacked with quality and depth and we look like we have good im the wide attacking areas and diaby will add real quality. Up front I would like us to add one more because we are very reliant on Ollie and hopefully archer in Europe. So I think we have depth to compete on all fronts and I could see us pushing close for 4th 

We can finish as high as 3rd I'd say or as low as maybe 9th. I think there's a few key things. We need to have luck with injuries, our signings to be successful and we keep a big squad of 25 players all who Emery trusts with game time. 

This season feels like the one we’ve all been building up to since that day we were saved from extinction. Its been a rollercoaster 5 years but now we seem to be motoring forward on and off the pitch. The first rung of Europe has been achieved and the transfer dealings are going up a notch. I honestly think Unai will believe he can take us into the CL and that will quietly be the aim behind the scenes.

Personally I think we can probably achieve 6th this season, and look to bring a trophy home.

I worry about Moreno and Ramsey being out at the start of the season just because I think some wins there would generate momentum and I think those two are so important to how we play. Equally, we have weeks to prepare for those games, a whole preseason, and new signings - so the management should be able to make a plan (and as others have said, we need to be able to cope with injuries).

Still, I think top 10 no drama, top 8 solid season, top 7 success (establishing us at that level two seasons running), top 6 very possible. Top 4 I think too far away for us but who knows with Unai, he had us with that PPG return last season after all!

Edited by Adam2003

I truly believe top four is possible, Unai Emery will be aiming for that definitely.

Of course Villa will need a little luck along the way.

Top three seems to be set, City, Arse and Man Poo. 

The Barcodes were fortunate the likes of Plop, Chelsea, Spuds had an off season. To me they didn't look a top four team and I believe Howe is limited.

I have no idea, we are investing well and we have great ingredients to do well, but unlike previous years when we were in the mix for top 6 so many more clubs are competitive, we could have a competitive season but a couple of results don't go our way and end up 8th. How much of a failure would that be or not? Below 8th would be poor. 

You've only got one club who can expect to finish in the CL and that's Man City. Arsenal, Liverpool, Man United, Chelsea, us and Newcastle, all have decent shouts and is anyone going to underestimate Brighton again? A lot of teams will be good at taking points off these sides too, Spurs and West Ham for example. Brentford will be solid, as outside contenders for top 10, look at Burnley as the newcomers causing some havoc. 

So our absolute 'realistic 'ceiling is 2nd. In the top 4 will be the stretch target, 5th or 6th will still be good seasons, particularly if we have a good cup run. 7th or 8th, it's probably a bit underwhelming after all the spending, Below that very poor. But the points difference between 8th and 4th won't be substantial so we need to turn games that look like draws into wins.

It's exciting though, you'll have at least 7 sides targeting 3 CL spots. Hopefully the idea of a locked in top 6 can finally bugger off

Edited by Rodders