Race for Champions League - 2023/2024

Don_Simon

Blame myself for that. Started watching when Arsenal were 3-0 up and you could already see them being over-elaborate in their moves around the box. In the end they just about got things done but it was very tight and they probably wouldn't if Spurs had got the penalty ten minutes earlier. Spurs were only playing two at the back for most of the last 15 minutes and Arsenal couldn't string any passing moves together with Havertz lumbering around.🤦‍♂️

However the most important thing is this. It's another weekend where we've actually extended the gap between 4th-5th. We started weekend six points ahead and now it's seven.

If it goes to even eight by close of play next Sunday then to me it's pretty much over as then Spurs would have to beat Man. City to have any chance and they won't be doing that as it will hand Arsenal the league.

• Like 1

Just now, jayEm said:

Didn’t see the game — was Spurs’ performance at all concerning in terms of them picking up points against City/Chelsea/Liverpool?

Not really it was more about Arsenal being sloppy.  Spurs had a lot of huff and puff but Arsenal let them back in the game because of a GK howler and Rice giving away a penalty, that’s what made it edgy at the end.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, jayEm said:

Didn’t see the game — was Spurs’ performance at all concerning in terms of them picking up points against City/Chelsea/Liverpool?

They concede goals. Plenty of goals. They’re a better version of Bielsa’s Leeds. Very suspect from corners, especially their keeper.

I think they could pick up results against Liverpool and Chelsea, sure. They could also lose 5-2 in both of them.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, jayEm said:

Abysmal defending. They will continue to leak goals. 

1 minute ago, Niall said:

See that clumsy eejit Rice giving away a penalty. They should sell him while they could still get a decent price. Overrated, liabilty. Has been poor lately. 

Not sure if this has something to do with Luiz, but Rice is class.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Not really it was more about Arsenal being sloppy.  Spurs had a lot of huff and puff but Arsenal let them back in the game because of a GK howler and Rice giving away a penalty, that’s what made it edgy at the end.

Agreed. I didn't think Arsenal were that good all game and were really sloppy in possession.

If Chelsea play as well as they did against us last night, and you'd also expect them to be well up for it at home against local rivals with still plenty to play for themselves, then that is a really tough game for Spurs especially off the back of two defats in which they have conceded 7 goals. 

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, jayEm said:

They were mostly crap. Arsenal gifted them a goal which gave them a bit of momentum. That was it really

3 minutes ago, Niall said:

See that clumsy eejit Rice giving away a penalty. They should sell him while they could still get a decent price. Overrated, liabilty. Has been poor lately. 

He’s been one of the players of the season 😂😂

We need to just get focussed and put everything into the Brighton game. They're not in great form and have nothing to play for. We need to want it more and go out and win it.

Chelsea have been relatively decent at home since November and they absolutely hate Spurs so should be really up for that game and needing to qualify for Europa League of they can.

Burnley aren't relegated yet either so their game against Spurs will be tough 

Edited by CVByrne
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, TheMightyVillans said:

if chelsea play like they did against us and spurs play like that then I can see chelsea winning 4-3

That's a big if. We haven't seen Chelsea have 2 good games in a row this season. They can be all over the place.

• Sad 1

You’d expect Spurs to beat Shef U and Burnley. So 6 points there. 
The Liverpool game is huge, who which Liverpool turn up that day (although we know when we play them they’ll get their form back). 
I think if we beat Brighton and Palace it’s ours, but I’d prefer it not to go down to last week, as if city have won the title by then they’ll be on the piss by the time they face spurs. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Spurs lost Werner to injury too, make of that what you will but he’s been a regular starter for them

No Werner in the team will improve them 

That was a good result in the end. Had they been pumped 4/5 then they could have reacted to it. But losing 3-2 after outplaying the other team is more damaging for the belief. I hope Chelsea beat them and we beat Brighton. Come  next Sunday at 6pm ish we can officially be in CL.