Race for Champions League - 2023/2024

Don_Simon

2 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Brighton just want the season to end now. Form collapsed now and they were playing a couple of kids today so a very good time in the season to play them. And our record v them since coming up in 2019 is sensational, think it's only one defeat in 11 games so we're in their heads anyway.

We all know Old Villa would absolutely lose in these circumstances. Let’s hope Emery’s boys are different

Just now, mikeyp102 said:

We all know Old Villa would absolutely lose in these circumstances. Let’s hope Emery’s boys are different

How we finished last season to secure Europe gives me a lot of faith.

• Like 1

Brighton will be the ultimate banana peel. 

We need to come out of Thursday unscathed and prepared for them. We can't expect an imploding Liverpool side who appear to have quit on their lame duck manager to beat Spurs, even at Anfield.

I don't know if I prefer us to play before or after Spurs on Sunday. I suppose it's better to play before them. Whether we win, lose or draw, they'll feel the pressure to win.

8 minutes ago, maqroll said:

We could really use some help from Chelsea who look good enough to beat them, especially at home. 

Chelsea have lost one game at home since October. They've played likes of Arsenal and Man.City in that time. Bigger shock would be Spurs winning that.

3 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

If you still don’t think we will finish 4th you can get 5-1 on Spurs now. I’d be all over that if I didn’t believe

I have the perfect bet for you!.. 

Chelsea to beat Spurs 

Villa to beat Brighton 

Liverpool to beat Spurs 

Returns around 8/1 for the Treble! That's the Bank Holiday paid for :cheers:

X1bYNJl.jpeg

• Like 1

Chelsea are chasing 6th place and Europa League. If they beat Spurs they are 3 points behind ManU.

I’m 80% confident that Chelsea would at least manage a draw on Thursday.

If we then manage to beat Brighton on Sunday, we would be 9 or 10 points ahead of Spurs when they play Liverpool.

• Like 1

We basically need to defend a 9 point swing on Spurs. By that I mean we need any combination of us winning or spurs losing 9 points. 

If we win two more game, spurs can only lose one. If we only win one then spurs can afford to lose two. 

Nice way to visualise it. 

If spurs lose against Chelsea in midweek and we beat Brighton then it’s down to 3 points. One more win for us or one more loss for them and it’s done

If Chelsea beat Spurs I reckon one more point might well be enough.

If Chelsea beat Spurs and we beat Brighton, we may even be able to live without the horror of it going to the last day.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

If Chelsea beat Spurs I reckon one more point might well be enough.

If Chelsea beat Spurs and we beat Brighton, we may even be able to live without the horror of it going to the last day.

I think this is what will happen. Spurs will lose one of their games this week, Chelsea or Liverpool. They won’t win both. 

We’ll beat Brighton. 

Then as above it’s only 3 of those 9 points we need to think about. Either we beat Liverpool and it’s done or spurs need to not lose to city. 

Either way best Brighton and spurs will need an unreal end to the season to beat us 

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 1

Chelsea will be well up for beating Spurs on Thursday, and if they play anything like they did last night they surely will.

It could be effectively all done and dusted by Sunday if we beat Brighton.

I now think the season hinges on whether Emi is fit for the run in. 

If he misses brighton, olympiakos and liverpool, i think we are done in both competitions. 

We cannot play the same way without him and will concede too many soft goals. Olsen concedes too many soft goals. He's conceded 7 in 3 PL games and confidence in the defence is shot when he plays. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, GingerCollins29 said:

I now think the season hinges on whether Emi is fit for the run in. 

If he misses brighton, olympiakos and liverpool, i think we are done in both competitions. 

We cannot play the same way without him and will concede too many soft goals. Olsen concedes too many soft goals. He's conceded 7 in 3 PL games and confidence in the defence is shot when he plays. 

What does done in both comps mean? Emi is suspended for first leg anyway. We can beat Brighton with Olsen and if Spurs lose next 2 as well they can't catch us. 

2 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

What does done in both comps mean? Emi is suspended for first leg anyway. We can beat Brighton with Olsen and if Spurs lose next 2 as well they can't catch us. 

Agreed.

We more than likely only need one more win in the league. We can do that with or without Emi.

Just now, Kiwivillan said:

Done in both means we fail to get 4th and knocked out of CL. With Emi, we do both. 

Olsen in goal means we play deeper to protect him and he concedes 2 plus goals in the majority of games he plays

1 hour ago, maqroll said:

Brighton will be the ultimate banana peel. 

We need to come out of Thursday unscathed and prepared for them. We can't expect an imploding Liverpool side who appear to have quit on their lame duck manager to beat Spurs, even at Anfield.

I don't know if I prefer us to play before or after Spurs on Sunday. I suppose it's better to play before them. Whether we win, lose or draw, they'll feel the pressure to win.

Liverpool will be desperate to beat spurs after the var farce earlier in the seaaon