Race for Champions League - 2023/2024

Don_Simon

12 minutes ago, VillaJ100 said:

Devastated BBC Live article 'Havertz adds Arsenal third'. Not RAMPANT Arsenal DESTROY Spurs chances with THIRD in ONE HALF

They were acting like Chelsea dented our top 4 push with their headline too. So desperate for Spurs. Sad really. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Leeroy said:

Not a fan of Spurs fans either but that's what you get when you've had a relatively successful period and are established as a Big Six team.

I want us to stay humble too but we will become more expectant as a fanbase as we become a top team. Yesterday my moans were more around how we retained the ball than the actual result. 

Same. It's ok to be critical of a performance - I said myself that we lose all organization when Emi is not on the pitch - he's the start of almost every attack and he organizes the entire defence. Also said I think we would have won if he stayed on - not because I think he saves the Gallagher shot, because I hate those kinds of discussions (people don't understand the multiverse). But because of his command over the entire game.

The reason Emi is the best keeper in the world is not only because of his shot stopping abilities.

He's our quarterback is the NFL analogy.

But back to your point - it's just what we do as humans. We adjust to a new level and then reset expectations. The hedonic treadmill it's called - it's how people spent more whenever they get more income and are never happy with what they have... it's a very empty existence to not feel grateful for what you do have. I now know that Villa can beat any team in the world - and walking into a game with that mentality is all I could ever ask for after 20 years of crap!

Edited by ChicagoVillan1983
  • Like 2

Classic Spurs.

I get the feeling they won't beat anyone aside from Burnley and Sheffield United so whisper it quietly but we might have already enough points in the bag to have secured 4th.

If their plan is to be three points off us on the final day they'll have to beat Sheffield United 10-0 at this rate to catch up the GD.

Just now, VillaChris said:

Classic Spurs.

I get the feeling they won't beat anyone aside from Burnley and Sheffield United so whisper it quietly but we might have already enough points in the bag to have secured 4th.

If their plan is to be three points off us on the final day they'll have to beat Sheffield United 10-0 at this rate to catch up the GD.

Well given how shit Sheffield it, I wouldn't put it past them, I really hope it doesn't come down to GD on final day 🤣

I keep hearing in the media what a great job Ange is doing. Well keep it up big lad 🙂 

It felt last night that the point we got could be a big one (although obviously I'd have preferred 3). Not just because it kept our tally ticking over it also meant that it gave Chelsea still plenty to play for as if they win their game in hand on Thursday it puts them 3 points off Man Utd in 6th. That game in hand is at home against Spurs. 

14 minutes ago, ChicagoVillan1983 said:

I enjoy reading their forum. The hate is real.

Saw some of that on our forum yesterday after Chelsea result - I'm going to be disappointed if we start behaving like entitled Spurs fans as we continue to ascend.

Have you seen the Luiz thread. We're getting there. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Pinebro said:

Spurs play them too 

At Anfield.

I'm not sure why you keep posting like this. Playing Liverpool at Anfield is a totally different beast to them on their own ground.

We have a far more favourable run in than Spurs. They also won't have much recovery time going into that Liverpool match playing Chelsea on the Thursday evening "who won't turn up against them."

4 minutes ago, kidlewis said:

We need one more win.

we are effectively 8 ahead due to GD on points.

after today spurs can get a maximum of 15 points…..

we need one more win people. 

Even two draws would mean Spurs would have to take 4 points from Chelsea, Liverpool and Man. City.

Beating Arsenal twice without conceding a goal is certainly a magnificent achievement this season.

I don't think it's a given Man. City actually win all their remaining games so Arsenal could easily win the league so to double the double over them is some going.

3 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Have you seen the Luiz thread. We're getting there. 

Tell me about it... One of our best servants of the last few years has a couple of bad games and he's the devil incarnate.

It's so stupid. When you are at work do you go through periods where you work far harder and everything just clicks and you are rocking it. Then do you have periods the opposite where nothing clicks.

I know I do! Give the guy a break!

Edited by ChicagoVillan1983
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, beasley14 said:

I actually think the Chelsea game is the one they're most likely to lose.  Chelsea will be up for it , and they've got a terrible record at the Bridge.  Overall in the last couple of months Chelsea have played pretty well.

I guess we'll see!

3 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

At Anfield.

I'm not sure why you keep posting like this. Playing Liverpool at Anfield is a totally different beast to them on their own ground.

We have a far more favourable run in than Spurs. They also won't have much recovery time going into that Liverpool match playing Chelsea on the Thursday evening "who won't turn up against them."

Generally this would be the case but they got beat by Atalanta and Palace there recently and the season is imploding on them.

3 minutes ago, Alakagom said:

Well given how shit Sheffield it, I wouldn't put it past them, I really hope it doesn't come down to GD on final day 🤣

Well yes of course given we went 4-0 up there by half time without breaking sweat. However with Brereton Diaz they are actually starting to score a few themselves. Of course Spurs could win by a fair few but it's completely different to actually having to do it with no margin for error. Currently eight off us in GD and you'd fancy Man. City and Liverpool to stick a few past them with how they play.

Spurs-Burnley will also be far closer than a month ago. Burnley actually have a chance of staying up now, just 2 points off 17th.

Just now, Nabby said:

Generally this would be the case but they got beat by Atalanta and Palace there recently and the season is imploding on them.

They've still only lost one league game at Anfield in over a year. Far more vulnerable on the road as yesterday and the Merseyside derby proved. We need to show a bit more ambition against them and get plenty of set pieces in the final third as Van Dijk can't cover everyone.

9 minutes ago, Pongo Waring said:

70 points is enough. 3 more points.

I'm surprised people think we need 72/73.  Spurs don't look like achieving 2+ points per game in their remaining fixtures 

That Spurs get trashed today is no surprise.

It is harder to predict how they will do against Chelsea and Liverpool. Since they play both away, we could hope they lose both. However, we know how fragile the Chelsea defence are, so that match can go both ways. When it comes to Liverpool, they have lost form the last few weeks and their internal problems are well known, it’s not impossible that Spurs return from Anfield with 3 points.

If Spurs do well in the two other matches this week, we most likely need 6 more points. On the other hand if Spurs loses them both, we have secured 4th place.

8 minutes ago, viivvaa66 said:

That Spurs get trashed today is no surprise.

It is harder to predict how they will do against Chelsea and Liverpool. Since they play both away, we could hope they lose both. However, we know how fragile the Chelsea defence are, so that match can go both ways. When it comes to Liverpool, they have lost form the last few weeks and their internal problems are well known, it’s not impossible that Spurs return from Anfield with 3 points.

If Spurs do well in the two other matches this week, we most likely need 6 more points. On the other hand if Spurs loses them both, we have secured 4th place.

Well said, but for me concentrate on ourselves the rest looks after itself.

16 minutes ago, ChicagoVillan1983 said:

Tell me about it... One of our best servants of the last few years has a couple of bad games and he's the devil incarnate.

It's so stupid. When you are at work do you go through periods where you work far harder and everything just clicks and you are rocking it. Then do you have periods the opposite where nothing clicks.

I know I do! Give the guy a break!

You are only as good as your last game...