Race for Champions League - 2023/2024

Don_Simon

9 minutes ago, Alakagom said:

There's no dropping to UEL anymore in the new format, but it's far  likelier to qualify into playoff rounds with 24 teams going through. Basically the teams that would end up 3rd and move to UEL will move through next phase in CL. 

Ohh really thats a shame then nothing really to gear us up in which case

26 minutes ago, RicRic said:

Just a innocent prediction on how the race will play out, is it brave to call a rare home win against the Merseysiders

Villa Fixtures

Chelsea (H) - D
Brighton (A) - L
Liverpool (H) - W
Crystal Palace (A) W

Total - 73 Pts 

Spurs Fixtures

Arsenal (H) - D
Chelsea (A) - W 
Liverpool (A) - L 
Burnely (H) - W 
Man City (H) - D  
Sheff Utd (A) - W 

Total - 71 Pts

I think you’re being very generous to Spurs.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, RicRic said:

Just a innocent prediction on how the race will play out, is it brave to call a rare home win against the Merseysiders

Villa Fixtures

Chelsea (H) - D
Brighton (A) - L
Liverpool (H) - W
Crystal Palace (A) W

Total - 73 Pts 

Spurs Fixtures

Arsenal (H) - D
Chelsea (A) - W 
Liverpool (A) - L 
Burnely (H) - W 
Man City (H) - D  
Sheff Utd (A) - W 

Total - 71 Pts

We draw at home to Chelsea and Spurs beat them away? I mean, it could happen, and Spurs could only lose one more game, but I don't see that myself.

31 minutes ago, RicRic said:

Villa Fixtures

Chelsea (H) - D
Brighton (A) - L
Liverpool (H) - W
Crystal Palace (A) W

Total - 73 Pts 

Spurs Fixtures

Arsenal (H) - D
Chelsea (A) - W 
Liverpool (A) - L 
Burnely (H) - W 
Man City (H) - D  
Sheff Utd (A) - W 

Total - 71 Pts

Wow that’s a very strong call for Spurs results.  One defeat in that set of games would be phenomenal for them.  I think we’ll beat one of either Chelsea or Brighton, I think the Liverpool game will be harder.

4 hours ago, Pongo Waring said:

Question to Villa fans

Would you rather get to play in the Champions League and not win it or win the Europa League Trophy? 

The correct answer is Don Unai’s and NSWE’s ambition.

Edited by Sulberto21
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, tinker said:

I think we will beat Chelsea convincingly, they may have Palmer but we have Ollie, Bailey , Rogers and Diaby. We are so strong all over pitch and we are on fire form wise. We have a rest as well, Emery signing a new deal. 8pm Saturday night at Villa Park. Crowd will be rocking, 3 nil to villa, Ollie getting a hat-trick. UTV, believe.

I wouldn't say we're on fire. We keep conceding a lot of chances and only last week we had our worst performance for months.

I would say we are very inconsistent, capable of performance like in 2nd half against Arsenal, but equally capable to not show up at all like against Lille away.

It's 50/50 if we show up against Chelsea. And if we don't, they will spank us like last time around.

Edited by Czarnikjak
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, tinker said:

I think we will beat Chelsea convincingly, they may have Palmer but we have Ollie, Bailey , Rogers and Diaby. We are so strong all over pitch and we are on fire form wise. We have a rest as well, Emery signing a new deal. 8pm Saturday night at Villa Park. Crowd will be rocking, 3 nil to villa, Ollie getting a hat-trick. UTV, believe.

Thing with Chelsea is that they can either obliterate teams, or get obliterated.

Hopefully the lads will be buzzing on just how close we are, and want to lay down a marker, especially at home.

We'll need to be solid though.

I'm still cautious until we get two more wins.

One loss and a Spurs win could easily gets things twitchy again imo.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, RicRic said:

Villa Fixtures

Chelsea (H) - D
Brighton (A) - L
Liverpool (H) - W
Crystal Palace (A) W

Total - 73 Pts 

Spurs Fixtures

Arsenal (H) - D
Chelsea (A) - W 
Liverpool (A) - L 
Burnely (H) - W 
Man City (H) - D  
Sheff Utd (A) - W 

Total - 71 Pts

Spurs only losing one in 6 is so so generous... imo

• Like 2

We are 6 points ahead, 

That equals the on paper wins for Spurs in Sheffield United and Burnley. 

That means every point we get from here, Spurs need to get off the Top 3 and Chelsea, out of those 12 points, I cannot see them getting more than 5 points. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, Czarnikjak said:

I wouldn't say we're on fire. We keep conceding a lot of chances and only last week we had our worst performance for months.

I would say we are very inconsistent, capable of performance like in 2nd half against Arsenal, but equally capable to not show up at all like against Lille away.

It's 50/50 if we show up against Chelsea. And if we don't, they will spank us like last time around.

Watch the second half against Bournemouth, i see flames. 3 games in 11 days and that was the last 45 minutss of it.

The last time we played Chelsea we started Carlos and Lenglet in the middle of defense......

We have too much for them, you watch.

Edited by tinker

1 hour ago, Wainy316 said:

Those prediction percentages swing massively with every result at this stage of the season. If Chelsea beat us and Spurs beat Arsenal, which is not implausible, that 80/20 would probably flip back in Spurs' favour. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, CarryOnVilla said:

Oddly my best friends is a spuds fan and he shares this exact opinion. He just doesn’t want them in a competition they’re not likely to win. “It would be embarrassing”

Spurs fans are completely broken by their “big club” status and not winning anything 

It has been embarrassing for him since 2008 then;).

You've got to be in it to win it and there is no guarantee that the English club that qualifies for the ECL next year (although they would be likely favourites), will actually go on to win it. I think this "big club" thing has been ruined by Manchester City in recent years, there are a limited number of trophies and too many "big clubs" for them all to win one every year. Everton were seen as one of those "big clubs" not that long ago, but their focus has been on the other end of the table, for a long time now. 

The Europa Cup will be a tough trophy to lift next year, but I'm sure 99% of Spurs fans would be fancying a run in that, if they don't make the CL🤞. I think they would start as one of the favourites for that, I doubt we would be for the CL, but we weren't in 1982 either. :hooray:

On the topic of "would you rather questions" we have never played in the Champions League under its current guise and that is a tad shameful. If we have qualified previously and had a few runs, a trophy would generally be preferable, but having never had a Champions League night at Villa Park is something we need to remedy.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, El-Reacho said:

Those prediction percentages swing massively with every result at this stage of the season. If Chelsea beat us and Spurs beat Arsenal, which is not implausible, that 80/20 would probably flip back in Spurs' favour. 

Yeah they are not a million miles away from meaningless. England was 79% or something likely to get 5th and then it swung hugely based on results. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, El-Reacho said:

The chances for that to happened is about 20%, so nothing really wrong with prediction. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, viivvaa66 said:

The chances for that to happened is about 20%, so nothing really wrong with prediction. 

Other than it isn't going to happen. 🤞