Race for Champions League - 2023/2024

Don_Simon

Certainly not underestimating Chelsea, they are broadly where Man U and West Ham are, inconsistent but on their game they can match or beat us. I do think they are death spiralling out of this season though, must be poisonous behind the scenes.

1 minute ago, Jareth said:

Certainly not underestimating Chelsea, they are broadly where Man U and West Ham are, inconsistent but on their game they can match or beat us. I do think they are death spiralling out of this season though, must be poisonous behind the scenes.

Chelsea are in arguably a worse position than either of those clubs because of the financial situation they're in. They can't afford another poor season next year or they're really going to struggle to balance the books.

United are similar, but they make more money and don't have as much cost.

You're though,  that on their day all of them can produce a very dangerous performance.

Let's hope we get the Chelsea that's fully given up on this season after that loss.

• Like 1

We normally do well at home against team that comes to play & attack us ( Citeh/Arsenal etc) & struggle against ultra liw block that parked the bus..

This young Chelsea team will want to prove a point after mid week result & have a go…I am quietly confident we will get a result 

• Like 2

Wow, could it have been that if the English teams had done well in Europe, we could have potentially qualified for champions league tonight, depending on Newcastle and Man U scores.

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, turvontour said:

Wow, could it have been that if the English teams had done well in Europe, we could have potentially qualified for champions league tonight, depending on Newcastle and Man U scores.

There’s no drama in that. 

We all have to have all 38 of our 2 hour anxiety sessions.

puts hair on our chest

builds character

me:

giphy.gif?cid=2154d3d72dohn5x535791ogcwe 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I love it how pundits and fans of certain clubs confidently roll out " sign x player " or " bring in Emery " from us like it's a formality that they get them from us if they want them 😂.

It's as if it still hasn't settled into them that this is a different club now. ( Or the OLD great one )

There's still a lot of people who haven't put 2 and 2 together with Villa. Like it's some lucky coincidence that Emery is our manager. 

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, Digavilla said:

We normally do well at home against team that comes to play & attack us ( Citeh/Arsenal etc) & struggle against ultra liw block that parked the bus..

This young Chelsea team will want to prove a point after mid week result & have a go…I am quietly confident we will get a result 

I'm MASSIVELY confident (←see all caps for how confident). Chelsea are a shambles.

Chelsea loss last night means we've secured top 6 with still of a month to the season to run. Many on here would've taken that in August as a final finishing position nevermind the opportunity we now have.

Chelsea can't catch us now and opportunity long since passed for West Ham and Brighton.

Man. United/Newcastle also playing each other still in the run in so at least one team guaranteed to drop at least two points from that fixture. Newcastle would still have a chance of finishing above us with their GD but we'd need to lose our last 4 and Newcastle win their other five games remaining so basically 0.1% chance. That also could be over tonight if Palace hold them which I think is possible.

• Like 2

It feels like we've won the lottery. 

For the first time in my life I'm actually daring to dream about winning the PL. I'm by no means saying we will, but it doesn't seem like such a fantasy anymore. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, villarule123 said:

It feels like we've won the lottery. 

For the first time in my life I'm actually daring to dream about winning the PL. I'm by no means saying we will, but it doesn't seem like such a fantasy anymore. 

That was Man City and Chelsea.

5 hours ago, tinker said:

Once our first goal goes in Chelsea  will crumble, they have some good players but they looked completely broken against Arsenal, stick them same players in a rocking villa Park, and it will be, 8pm on a Saturday,  and they stand a very good chance of being overan. We want 9! We want 9.

They had no Palmer and he's 90% of their team basically 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MrBlack said:

Chelsea are in arguably a worse position than either of those clubs because of the financial situation they're in. They can't afford another poor season next year or they're really going to struggle to balance the books.

United are similar, but they make more money and don't have as much cost.

You're though,  that on their day all of them can produce a very dangerous performance.

Let's hope we get the Chelsea that's fully given up on this season after that loss.

We are 5-2 on aggregate v West Ham this season so we've put that bad match up to bed imo.

Man. United everyone knows is an abnormal psychological hold over us. All I ask is next season we have Konsa-Pau as the CBs for both games and then we'll see what happens as that option wasn't available to us in either game.

We are unbeaten in three of the four games we've played against Chelsea with the Don so let's not overhype them as some jinx opponent, three of those matches have been away aswell.

Our home defeat last season was probably one of our best games under Slippy aswell, that's one match you can't pin on tactical ineptique for us losing under him.

• Like 1

Just now, Zhan_Zhuang said:

A Villa win against Chelsea and Spuds are out of it I think...

9 behind even with 3 games in hand is hard, but those games in hand being Liverpool, Chelsea and Arsenal... Yeah..

• Like 1

I find it odd, that we are debating on we need win certain games or need certain points and it’s ours. 

The reality is, we could win all the games remaining and still not qualify. 

All we can do is, win every game and do it with more goals than spurs 

• Like 2

4 points secures it I think. Can't see spurs getting 11 points now from the remaining 18 on the table. They need to beat Arsenal, Liverpool or Man City, 2 of them away from home. 

1 hour ago, VillaChris said:

Chelsea loss last night means we've secured top 6 with still of a month to the season to run

We shouldn’t forget this, absolutely right. Amazing. Best season in how long?