Marco Asensio

wishywashy

Messi it is then

Does feel like just one of these sorts of players choosing the Villa project would be vital for them attracting others. But until then it feels a massive uphill battle.

• Like 1

Ah well, I'm certain he wasn't our only target for the position. I assume PSG have information about Mourniho taking over and are pushing now to get him over the line.

Madrid to PSG makes sense. I like that we're close to landing big targets 

It’s a hard market with foreign top class players/staff.

Players are not only thinking about Champions League.. but they are thinking about the lifestyle and the city.

It’s going to be tough to sell the image of choosing Birmingham or West Midlands over Milan, Paris, Rome,Monaco, Madrid or Barcelona.

6 minutes ago, Woody1000 said:

We’re a 6/10 in the nightclub, trying to go home with some 8/10’s and 9/10’s, it’s going to take some graft, and we are going to get a fair share of no’s, but make no mistake - when all is said and done, we’ll be getting some! 

The best analogy

• Thanks 1

I'm not too bothered. I would be very wary of any so called 'elite' player that we are able to land as a (currently) mid-ranking club. Look at James Rodreguez to Everton or Coutinho to us.  If Asencio was all that he would have his pick of the top teams in Europe not a 2 way shoot out between Villa and a clown car PSG. The only downside is Emery clearly want him but I feel we can scout out better value than this.

Just now, RichW said:

Early example of why I won't believe anything unless it comes from a reliable Villa journalist. Gonna be a long summer for a few people on here. 

There's absolutely nothing wrong with mega intense optimism and falling in love with a manly spaniard you'd just heard about only to weep at their rejection all within 72 hours. You have to give love to be loved.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Reivax_Villa said:

It’s a hard market with foreign top class players/staff.

Players are not only thinking about Champions League.. but they are thinking about the lifestyle and the city.

It’s going to be tough to sell the image of choosing Birmingham or West Midlands over Milan, Paris, Rome,Monaco, Madrid or Barcelona.

They might like " Boy Racers or Gangsta Rap" some districts are like the " Wild West".....its a very vibrant and exciting place.

3 minutes ago, AndyM3000 said:

The French league is now the 6th ranked league in Europe having fallen behind the Dutch league. Anyone going there doesn't have the right mentality or ambition as a footballer IMO.

Good point well made.

3 minutes ago, AndyM3000 said:

The French league is now the 6th ranked league in Europe having fallen behind the Dutch league. Anyone going there doesn't have the right mentality or ambition as a footballer IMO.

That may be, but it's also guaranteed champions league football at one of the biggest clubs in the world. It's a small step down from Madrid. And it's in Paris.

That said, not over until it is, indeed, over.

5 minutes ago, AndyM3000 said:

Players just go there for money and the opportunity to play in the Champions League. The 36 league games or however many there are, are just a distraction. 

7 minutes ago, AndyM3000 said:

Basically the SPL with nicer food.

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, OhioVilla said:

That may be, but it's also guaranteed champions league football at one of the biggest clubs in the world. It's a small step down from Madrid. And it's in Paris.

That said, not over until it is, indeed, over.

Indeed. And whilst the PL is the pinnacle of national club football (according to objective data), the club that finished 7th in that league is a much bigger step down from Madrid.

But, the rumours from his camp about wanting to be the main man and getting guaranteed play time did align nicely with what we were selling.

If it doesn't happen suggests that those moans were all bollocks to try and persuade PSG to give him something more then they were originally offering.

Alternatively, the delay was around whether Mourinho goes there, and the press and ITKs were making stuff up for clicks. As they do.

Â