Ratings & Reactions: Spurs v Villa

limpid

Match Polls  

279 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your man of the match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 03/01/23 at 23:59

6 minutes ago, UpTheVilla26 said:

That was superb, I thought every player was excellent. 

I gave Watkins MOTM, he worked his ass off today, I was very impressed with what I've just watched from him. 

Also, fair play to Olsen and McGinn. Too much maligned players of late and both didn't put a foot wrong. 

Big win, onwards and upwards. 

Watkins was superb. He possibly could have scored himself but nearly everything he did helped the team. Very, very impressive.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Junxs said:

Gerrard didnt beat a single top 10 team in his whole time here. Emery has done it 3 times in his first 4 games, 

He also had a worse record than Gary Neville did in Spain. No one in the media still says that Gerrard did a bad job.

Emery is amazing, we are going places! 

With the exact same squad, minus our (on paper) best defender.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I legit can't choose a man of the match.

It’s obviously Kamara… I mean Luiz… no Ashley Young… wait McGinn was looking like his Dean Smith days… hold on that Olsen is better than I remember… didn’t even notice all the defenders they were so solid… 

Well, well, I didn't expect that!

When you lose count of candidates for man-of-the-match, you have to call it as a team performance.

I was expecting Kane to produce some of his dark-arts to get them a goal but he looked like he was still carrying his penalty-miss misery.

Apologies to Olsen who I had doubted.

Kamara is absolutely incredible and partnering him with Dougie has been a revelation. I'd be happy to see these two share the man of the match awards for the rest of the season.

Watkins was superb, as was Coutinho when he came on. Defence repelled absolutely everything.

Special mention to Olsen who barely put a foot wrong and looked rock solid.

• Like 2

Goalkeeper: I was initially disappointed to see Emi on the bench. An Emi-Lloris rematch so soon after the final would have been nice to see. That said, Olsen had his best match of the year and made me nervous only once. Furthermore, after seeing Lloris spill the ball for our first goal, I realized Unai's wisdom in resting Emi a little longer.

Defence: Against Liverpool we didn't seem to play around with the ball in back as much, maybe because Unai didn't have confidence in Olsen, maybe because he feared the quality of Liverpool's press. We were back to doing it this match and did it well. I feel much more comfortable that we can break a press now. That said, Spurs eventually seemed to back off and try to cut off the passes in midfield instead.

Ashley Young: Man of the Match for me. How many times did he save us? Still has pace at 37. Amazing.

Kamara and Doug: Excellent today as so many have said. Watching their positioning, they forced Spurs wide even when they weren't directly intervening in the play.

Attack: This is the one place where I'm going to be a little critical. Spurs have given up a lot of early goals recently and were clearly trying to be tight in back. They seemed to let us have a lot of the possession in the first 20 minutes, but we still didn't seem to have the know-how to break them down. Lloris gave us a gift on the first goal, things opened up, and we looked much better after that. But we still have work to do. And Bailey was disappointing for the second straight match.

Watkins: Worked his socks off and did a lot of good things. But he missed out on a chance to score in the second have when he hesitated; still overthinking a bit.

Ref: You usually don't admit this, but we had the benefit of some bad decisions today.

Edited by TomC
Added comment about ref
  • Like 2

Â