Stand Up Comedy

Seat68

15 hours ago, Risso said:

I saw Gary Delaney years ago on the Isle of Man. The most foul-mouthed, did-he-really-just-say-that routine I've ever seen, made Frankie Boyle look like a kids' entertainer.

I got tickets to see him at Sutton Town Hall next June....didn't seem to be that sweary, judging by the YouTube clips I've seen 😯

2 hours ago, Dante_Lockhart said:

His stand up 'What It Is' was really funny, so I'm saddened to hear he seems to have flipped.

Wife left him and he's an alcoholic who's back on the drink. By all accounts he may not be well mentally after the lockdown. The whole gig was a car crash.

• Sad 1

6 minutes ago, villa89 said:

Wife left him and he's an alcoholic who's back on the drink. By all accounts he may not be well mentally after the lockdown. The whole gig was a car crash.

Sounds like he's channeling his inner Bernard Black.

2 hours ago, Seat68 said:

This fella pops up in my feeds a lot and I have no clue how he has views. He is the least funny comedian I have ever watched. 

He’s not a comedian, just some bellend reenacting his ‘pub banter’.
I wasn’t impressed with Stewart Lee but you can at least see what he’s trying to achieve. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, JB said:

I saw Stewart Lee in a small venue in central London at the weekend. He was quite open about the fact that he was testing the material out ahead of a larger tour but he was really, really good. He doesn’t like Fleabag much 😂

He doesn't like much apart from The Fall and his own smug self satisfied  opinion  of himself.  Some of it is funny but it is quite a mean and narrow minded sense of humour.

20 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

He doesn't like much apart from The Fall and his own smug self satisfied  opinion  of himself.  Some of it is funny but it is quite a mean and narrow minded sense of humour.

He prefers The Nightingales to The Fall so much so he made the King Rocker film (at the bands request) Which was also instrumental in the return of King Kong to Brum.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Fun Factory said:

Thats just his character though not him in real life, which is a point he's made in many interviews.

• Like 1

Controversial opinion, but Phill Jupitus' very old stand up at Quadrophobia is genuinely good.

Bill Hicks was a genius, the only bad things he did were the goat boy bits. Everything else, gold.

Billy Connolly is the funniest I've seen live. Saw him around the time he was doing the lottery ads, by all accounts not a classic of his but still roaringly funny, was actually in pain after the show.

Also saw Bill Bailey on the Tinselworm tour. Not the best of his either - came right as he had become a well known figure and that probably changed his show a bit. The funniest moment, which actually made it into the DVD of the show as an extra, was him having to improvise when one of his instruments broke, which included him getting a phone off the audience and calling the manufacturer live on stage.

I don't tend to find a lot of the current US comedians that funny, particularly the bigger names. Stanhope is probably the best.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Rodders said:

Oh and Eddie Izzard's early stand ups were amazing. Dressed to Kill used to always crack me up. In fact this post has reminded me how long it's been since I've seen it. 

Early/peak Izzard is absolutely up there as some of the best ever, for me. Dressed to Kill and Glorious are absolutely fantastic sets and genuine classics of the genre. 

@Chindie mentioned Billy Connolly, who is also someone I really admire, and perhaps consider the best teller of anecdotes and stories of any comedian ever. 

Jerry Seinfeld is a must for this thread, btw. His observational comedy has perhaps been turned into cliche by later and lesser comedians, but Seinfeld absolutely nails the «martian» perspective on human mundanity. 

Chappelle, Carlin and Hicks have all been mentioned already, I think. Geniuses, all of them. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Bizzzle said:

Seen Ricky Gervais' last two stand ups live (Humanity and Supernature) and absolutely loved them both and will hopefully go see his next one Armageddon too. I know he isn't for everyone but I love him 

But he hasn’t been really funny, in my opinion, since Politics and Animals. 

I do enjoy going to see a stand up and have been very fortunate to have seen many at our local library/mini theatre in south Devon, which holds around 200 - so nice and intimate.

we’ve had the likes of Sean Lock, Rob Beckett, Seann Walsh, Marcus Brigstock, Tom Allen, Suzie Rufell and Phil Jupitus (who threw a right strop at a pissed up woman on the front row!) and it’s never more than £15.

also Exeter has some decent comedians visit. Saw Nick Helm a few weeks back and also Nish Kumar and Henning Wehn over the past year.

I much prefer comedy in a smaller venue rather than stadiums etc. 

Tonight we’re off to Plymouth (without the kids!) to see Kiri Pritchard McLean and have a curry beforehand! 

17 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

I do enjoy going to see a stand up and have been very fortunate to have seen many at our local library/mini theatre in south Devon, which holds around 200 - so nice and intimate.

we’ve had the likes of Sean Lock, Rob Beckett, Seann Walsh, Marcus Brigstock, Tom Allen, Suzie Rufell and Phil Jupitus (who threw a right strop at a pissed up woman on the front row!) and it’s never more than £15.

also Exeter has some decent comedians visit. Saw Nick Helm a few weeks back and also Nish Kumar and Henning Wehn over the past year.

I much prefer comedy in a smaller venue rather than stadiums etc. 

Tonight we’re off to Plymouth (without the kids!) to see Kiri Pritchard McLean and have a curry beforehand! 

Suzi Rufell is excellent. Saw her supporting Joe Lycett and she was marvellous. 

Edited by Seat68
  • Like 1

I know I’m very much in the minority on VT, but I’d much rather watch stand up or any kind of comedy show than go see a band.

I’ve been to quite a lot over the years and have been to the fringe a few times.

Over the next few months I’ve got tickets to see Josh Pugh, Phil Wang, John Robins, Dylan Moran, Mike Wozniak and Rosie Jones.

Garth Marenghi at the Glee Club on Tuesday too, I’m looking forward to that.

• Like 3

On 14/11/2022 at 19:22, dAVe80 said:

Daniel Kitson

The comedian I’ve seen more than any other. Just great every time.

4 hours ago, theboyangel said:

She’s awesome. The Gein’s Family Giftshop/Tarot sketch stuff she co-writes is really fun as well.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, tomsky_11 said:

She’s awesome. The Gein’s Family Giftshop/Tarot sketch stuff she co-writes is really fun as well.

Have to say I was very surprised by how good KPM was tonight (and her warm up, Tasmin Kelly was great too)

Nice touch as well was her asking the audience to bring a pack of biscuits each for the local food banks etc

i’d go and watch her again for sure

• Like 1

Â