Stand Up Comedy

Seat68

On 19/11/2022 at 18:35, Paddywhack said:

I know I’m very much in the minority on VT, but I’d much rather watch stand up or any kind of comedy show than go see a band.

I’ve been to quite a lot over the years and have been to the fringe a few times.

Over the next few months I’ve got tickets to see Josh Pugh, Phil Wang, John Robins, Dylan Moran, Mike Wozniak and Rosie Jones.

Garth Marenghi at the Glee Club on Tuesday too, I’m looking forward to that.

How was Garth Marenghi?  I only realised the other day he has a book and tour out.  I'm thinking of going to Guildford in the new year to watch it.

7 hours ago, sharkyvilla said:

How was Garth Marenghi?  I only realised the other day he has a book and tour out.  I'm thinking of going to Guildford in the new year to watch it.

Yeah, I really enjoyed it, I’d recommend going. He read from the book in the first half, which was funny but I’ve already listened to the audiobook.

I thought the second half was brilliant, it was a Q&A with the audience. I guess it depends on how good the crowd are but Matthew Holness’s improv is way better than I imagined. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Have been fortunate this year to catch quite a few Stand-Ups

1. Mark Watson - Ivybridge Watermark. My very local venue has had the fortune to host many many household names from the comedy circuit and is relatively cheap (around £15). 
  2. Nish Kumar - Exeter Corn Exchange
  3. Iain Stirling - Exeter Corn Exchange
  4. Nick Helm - Exeter Northcott Theatre - have been wanting to see him live for ages. He did not disappoint
  5. Kiri Pritchard-Mclean - Plymouth Barbican Theatre. Surprisingly very good indeed

We have Glenn Moore booked for early next year and someone else but cannot remember who?!?! 

• 2 weeks later...

I was looking at getting some tickets to Jim Jeffries. I was a bit late to the party, so no two together anywhere in the venue, except for the first 4-5 rows that are completely free, because while the rest of the place is 40-45 quid, he wants £160 a seat to sit in the first few rows.

That Netflix special not paying well enough you greedy Representative for Wellingborough? Absolutely disgusting tbh. 

• Like 2

On 04/12/2022 at 09:10, theboyangel said:

Have been fortunate this year to catch quite a few Stand-Up

2. Nick Helm - Exeter Northcott Theatre - have been wanting to see him live for ages. He did not disappoint 

Assuming this was on his most recent tour - me and my girlfriend sat front and centre when we saw him in Leicester, and she got picked on for the calculating the cost of PMC bit. 

She has dyslexia, and some problem with numbers, and the result was hilarious. At one point she told him he was spending too much on pop, followed by raucous applause from the audience, and utter incredulity from Helm. He went on to blame her for missing a que for his poetry cos she spent too much time trying to be witty, called her a word removed, and when a chap sitting the other side of her got up he said he didn't blame him for not wanting to sit next to her. 

She didn't want to buy any merch off him afterwards. 

Edited by hogso
  • Like 1

Have been given tickets to see Mike Wozniak in March for Christmas. 

Knew him from Man Down but really got to like him during his stint on Taskmaster. 

Wouldn't necessarily class him as a stand-up comedian, more of a comedy actor so will be interesting to see how it goes. 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, theboyangel said:

Knew him from Man Down but really got to like him during his stint on Taskmaster. 

Wouldn't necessarily class him as a stand-up comedian, more of a comedy actor so will be interesting to see how it goes. 

I saw his show as work in progress a fair while ago. It’s great, but the man could read a phone book and it would be hilarious. Saw Isy Suttie’s work in progress the same evening, which unfortunately was really poor. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Seeing this Josh Pugh fella in a couple of weeks. Will echo Xela above, saw Stewart Lee a couple of weeks ago and it was terrific. Got Dara O'Briain in April, looking forward to that but made sure we aren't sitting in the front rows!

• Like 1

Haven't been to any stand up for ages, certainly pre-covid. Went years ago to see Norman Lovett who is bone dry deadpan, and Alexi Sayle when he was toying around with a stand up comeback. I agree with others I would only go to stand up in  a small venue, I'd would assume those large arenas just wouldn't work. 

On 03/02/2023 at 16:42, The Fun Factory said:

Haven't been to any stand up for ages, certainly pre-covid. Went years ago to see Norman Lovett who is bone dry deadpan, and Alexi Sayle when he was toying around with a stand up comeback. I agree with others I would only go to stand up in  a small venue, I'd would assume those large arenas just wouldn't work. 

I remember reading about Norman Lovett doing a gig back in the 80s, he turned up to the Mike and just said nothing. For minutes. The crowd went from nervous laughter through a few boos all the way to completing cracking up when after about 8 minutes he just said: "What?"

Would need some serious balls to pull that off

• Like 1

On 25/12/2022 at 12:41, theboyangel said:

We're going to see him on 25th Feb in Birmingham, feeling pretty much the same as this.

We saw Sarah Millican last summer, who was surprisingly very funny. I assumed she'd be ok, but she was very good.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Really enjoyed Mike Wozniak in Plymouth tonight.

Not your usual stand up show but his rambling, sometimes awkward and often spiralling off on tangents delivery was very good.

His show is centred around the exploits of a Polish aunt during the second world war but veers off regularly to other random stories.

Well worth checking out.

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

Really enjoyed Mike Wozniak in Plymouth tonight.

Not your usual stand up show but his rambling, sometimes awkward and often spiralling off on tangents delivery was very good.

His show is centred around the exploits of a Polish aunt during the second world war but veers off regularly to other random stories.

Well worth checking out.

Never seen his stand up and only really know him from Taskmaster, but I found him very, very funny on there and can easily imagine his shows being exactly as you say, and that they’re very funny. 

• Like 1

Â