Stand Up Comedy

Seat68

7 hours ago, It's Your Round said:

I quite like stand-up, I’ve seen Kevin Bridges and Michael McIntyre years ago. I loved Sean Lock, and enjoy Frank Skinner, Jimmy Carr and plenty others but I’d never seen Stewart Lee until just now. 

I don’t know if this clip represents his best work but I didn’t find it particularly funny at all. 

I thought t was spot on, what I like and some might hate is Steward Lee knows what works for his audience and labours something. Really labours it. Anyway. Ted Bovis has let himself go. 

• Like 1

James Acaster from his Netflix special. 

Steve Hofstetter. He tends to focus on “owning” hecklers but his non owning stuff is good. 

I will tell you who isn’t funny. That ginger scouse comic whose act is purely having a go at the audience. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Seat68 said:

When I saw him it was purely puns, like Tim Vine. Not my sort of comedy in all honesty. 

When I saw him, one of his tamer jokes was about being w***ed off by his nan.

Loved Acasters Netflix special. All 4 for brilliant and linked in well together. I know he's not everyones cup of tea but he never fails to make me laugh (Would I Lie To You episodes with him in are also brilliant)

Rhod Ghilbert live was so funny. Saw quite a few big name comics at Dudley Town Hall / Brierley Civic.

My favourite was going to Glee Club in Birmingham and Lee Evans turning up to do a tester set for his upcoming tour quite a few years ago. One of my favs and I was star struck. As funny as he was, it was the last guy of the night on who had me in stitches - Paul Chowdry

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Dante_Lockhart said:

Loved Acasters Netflix special. All 4 for brilliant and linked in well together. I know he's not everyones cup of tea but he never fails to make me laugh (Would I Lie To You episodes with him in are also brilliant)

Rhod Ghilbert live was so funny. Saw quite a few big name comics at Dudley Town Hall / Brierley Civic.

My favourite was going to Glee Club in Birmingham and Lee Evans turning up to do a tester set for his upcoming tour quite a few years ago. One of my favs and I was star struck. As funny as he was, it was the last guy of the night on who had me in stitches - Paul Chowdry

I had tickets for Paul Chowdry at Wolves but caught Covid so gave them up to a friend. I really like him a lot. 

Worst gig I’ve ever been to was Rich Hall. He was doing his Otis Lee Redshaw music redneck schtick and it was just shite. I was really looking forward to it too. 

The one I wasn’t really looking forward to as I find the pub landlord stuff a bit meh but had me in bits from start to end was Al Murray. Really funny guy. 

The worst I saw was Dylan Moran. My wife and friends we were with adored him. Probably still is my wife’s favourite comedian. I sat there stone faced, didn’t get it, didn’t enjoy it and it was a period when I had ocd so I was focussed for an hour on the bottom of his trouser leg not sitting right on his boot. Totally true. These days I can rewatch black books and enjoy it but even now his standup leaves me cold. 

4 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

The worst I saw was Dylan Moran. My wife and friends we were with adored him. Probably still is my wife’s favourite comedian. I sat there stone faced, didn’t get it, didn’t enjoy it and it was a period when I had ocd so I was focussed for an hour on the bottom of his trouser leg not sitting right on his boot. Totally true. These days I can rewatch black books and enjoy it but even now his standup leaves me cold. 

I'd a similar experience with Dylan Moran. I was always a fan and really looking forward to it but he was clearly in a bad mood and ten minutes in, spied someone in the audience (Hammersmith Apollo) trying to take a sneaky photo. Absolutely eviscerated the poor kid (looked about 16) and kept going back to him throughout to dump on him even more. I think recipient ended up leaving halfway through and Moran led the crowd in jeering him off. It was nasty and I've not liked him since. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Seat68 said:

When I saw him it was purely puns, like Tim Vine. Not my sort of comedy in all honesty. 

From what I've seen of him, he has two versions of himself. Both pun machines but one is family-friendly and the other is bluer than blue.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

The worst I saw was Dylan Moran. 

Same here. Saw him recently and it was like a 2 hour counselling session where the audience were supposed to put up with his tripe. Avoid. I saw him in the past and he was a lot better. 

I saw Dylan Moran about 15 years ago and he was good, but someone I prefer to watch on screen rather live if that makes sense. 

Saw Dara O'Briain a couple of years ago and seeing him again next year, he's good fun.  And Ed Byrne was reliable decent too. Not top level, but laughed fairly regularly throughout.  

Gary Delaney at the glee club was good fun too, I think he works best in the comedy club atmosphere rather than the big stage venues. 

Did also see Rich Hall and his double persona also around 15 years ago and I thought he was superb. He's so **** smart. Plus his occasional documentaries on American culture are always worth a watch. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, villa89 said:

Same here. Saw him recently and it was like a 2 hour counselling session where the audience were supposed to put up with his tripe. Avoid. I saw him in the past and he was a lot better. 

His stand up 'What It Is' was really funny, so I'm saddened to hear he seems to have flipped.

17 minutes ago, Rodders said:

I saw Dylan Moran about 15 years ago and he was good, but someone I prefer to watch on screen rather live if that makes sense. 

Saw Dara O'Briain a couple of years ago and seeing him again next year, he's good fun.  And Ed Byrne was reliable decent too. Not top level, but laughed fairly regularly throughout.  

Gary Delaney at the glee club was good fun too, I think he works best in the comedy club atmosphere rather than the big stage venues. 

Did also see Rich Hall and his double persona also around 15 years ago and I thought he was superb. He's so **** smart. Plus his occasional documentaries on American culture are always worth a watch. 

I love Rich Hall to bits but I wasn’t a fan of his Otis gimmick. It wasn’t advertised as such either which is why I didn’t enjoy it. 

2 minutes ago, Ingram85 said:

I love Rich Hall to bits but I wasn’t a fan of his Otis gimmick. It wasn’t advertised as such either which is why I didn’t enjoy it. 

that's totally understandable.  I did much prefer him as Rich Hall too, but yeah if you're not expecting it, can see why it jars.

2 hours ago, Seat68 said:

Wow. Feel he either toned it down for Stafford or changed his style completely 

There may have been people from Stoke in the audience and they would have thought they were watching a documentary. Maybe :D 

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Rodders said:

that's totally understandable.  I did much prefer him as Rich Hall too, but yeah if you're not expecting it, can see why it jars.

Rich Hall was hilarious in Jack Dee's TV show which name I forget. I remember looking forward to his bits in the show even if I can't remember the show itself. Only bit I recollect is putting 'celebrity eggs' in the microwave

EDIT: Jack Dee's Sunday Service!

Edited by Dante_Lockhart

There's nothing that puts me off a stand up more than them leaning into bland chatter with the audience as part of their show. I couldn't give a **** about who Sandra from accounts is here with tonight. Some comics make audience interaction a good bit of their show, but it's few and far between, most go fishing with "what's your name, where are you from, what do you do, who's that next to you", desperately looking for anything.

If you're so low on material you need to fill 10 minutes with that shit, get another job.

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 4

Â