Stand Up Comedy

Seat68

A few different threads have had a lot of stand up chat on them so started a thread for its purposes. 
Ilive in Stafford and for a small town we are fairly well blessed for comedy. At the local theatre they have met bar comedy nights, 3 acts and a compere. That said due to her living not a million miles away Sarah Millican puts on regular new material nights. 15 quid for her and Gary Delaney plus 3 others. It’s great but not really advertised. 

Thinking of getting Stewart Lee tickets at Wolves grand for next year.  We tour and after watching Snowflake/Tornado, have no clue where he will take his act next. 

• Like 1

My go-to used to be The Turks Head in Twickenham. Half a mile up the road from me and loads of big names used to do w-i-p there. Seen many of the bigger acts (Dara, Al Murray, the curly-haired one, Bill Bailey, Omid) there over the years. I'd mostly forgotten about it since Covid but might head back over there soon. 

Seen Frank Skinner twice in recent years. He was superb. He has refined his act and he isn't as crude as he used to be. 

The older Skinner stuff though is hilarious as well, but you couldn't see him getting away with it now. I remember one show he did in the 90's. He was probably in his mid/late 30's and he was talking about his 16yo girlfriend!

This is a classic

NSFW (Captain obvious!)

Edited by Xela
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, Xela said:

Seen Frank Skinner twice in recent years. He was superb. He has refined his act and he isn't as crude as he used to be. 

The older Skinner stuff though is hilarious as well, but you couldn't see him getting away with it now. I remember one show he did in the 90's. He was probably in his mid/late 30's and he was talking about his 16yo girlfriend!

This is a classic

NSFW (Captain obvious!)

I saw a skinner live show on Channel 4 or something late one Friday night, it was the one where he was shagging a bird and her kid walked in and was watching so he started pulling faces etc

I was shocked at how funny he was

4 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

I saw a skinner live show on Channel 4 or something late one Friday night, it was the one where he was shagging a bird and her kid walked in and was watching so he started pulling faces etc

I was shocked at how funny he was

The NIA gig - should start at the right point...

• Like 2

It’s probably the artform I admire the most, to be honest. To be able to make a room full of people cry with laughter, make them think with a well set-up joke, have them in your complete control as you riff over a subject. Can’t imagine a more thrilling experience, beside maybe scoring in front of the Holte. 

I’d love to have a go at it, but alas, it’s the only thing that could/would give me stage fright. 

(I’m also not very funny, which obviously doesn’t help.) 

• Like 3

I saw Stewart Lee in a small venue in central London at the weekend. He was quite open about the fact that he was testing the material out ahead of a larger tour but he was really, really good. He doesn’t like Fleabag much 😂

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Seat68 said:

Thinking of getting Stewart Lee tickets at Wolves grand for next year.  We tour and after watching Snowflake/Tornado, have no clue where he will take his act next. 

I'm seeing him in January (Symphony Hall). 

15 minutes ago, JB said:

I saw Stewart Lee in a small venue in central London at the weekend. He was quite open about the fact that he was testing the material out ahead of a larger tour but he was really, really good. He doesn’t like Fleabag much 😂

Was that the 'Basic Lee' set? Looking forward to seeing him in January. 

I've seen Stewart Lee loads of times, always at different venues too (not purposely). Always brilliant. 

I do like live comedy. I've seen a fair few over years. Seen the likes of Mark Thomas, Mark Steel, Daniel Kitson, Tim Minchin, Jim Jeffries, Doug Stanhope in small venues. I've seen some more mainstream acts too in bigger theatres, but maybe Jason Manford aside, I avoid BBC1 Saturday night comedians. Aside from seeing Chris Rock at Leeds Arena, I've always kept away from huge arena gigs. 

• Like 1

The one I would have loved to have seen is Johnny Vegas, back in the day. The edge of your seat shows he used to put on, when people weren't sure if it was an act or not would have been amazing to experience. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Milfner said:

Really regret not seeing Sean Lock before he passed. My all-time favourite stand up comedian. Still absolutely gutted he’s not around anymore. 

I had the pleasure, and it was a privilege in my opinion. 

• Like 2

The real thrill of stand up for me is when you see someone you've never heard of in a small club, and they just tear the place up. Even better if a heckler disrupts it a bit and they manage to handle it.

Among the more established comics, I've always enjoyed Stewart Lee. James Acaster and Kevin Bridges from the new generation are consistently brilliant.

In the US, Chris Rock, Dave Chapelle, Anthony Jeselnik (his murder suicide routine is incredible), Doug Stanhope and Bill Burr all make me laugh, although all prone to going a bit too far into tedious culture war stuff these days.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Seat68 said:

A few different threads have had a lot of stand up chat on them so started a thread for its purposes. 
Ilive in Stafford and for a small town we are fairly well blessed for comedy. At the local theatre they have met bar comedy nights, 3 acts and a compere. That said due to her living not a million miles away Sarah Millican puts on regular new material nights. 15 quid for her and Gary Delaney plus 3 others. It’s great but not really advertised. 

I saw Gary Delaney years ago on the Isle of Man. The most foul-mouthed, did-he-really-just-say-that routine I've ever seen, made Frankie Boyle look like a kids' entertainer.

I quite like stand-up, I’ve seen Kevin Bridges and Michael McIntyre years ago. I loved Sean Lock, and enjoy Frank Skinner, Jimmy Carr and plenty others but I’d never seen Stewart Lee until just now. 

I don’t know if this clip represents his best work but I didn’t find it particularly funny at all. 

7 hours ago, Risso said:

I saw Gary Delaney years ago on the Isle of Man. The most foul-mouthed, did-he-really-just-say-that routine I've ever seen, made Frankie Boyle look like a kids' entertainer.

When I saw him it was purely puns, like Tim Vine. Not my sort of comedy in all honesty. 

Â