Stand Up Comedy

Seat68

9 hours ago, Davkaus said:

I was hoping to grab some James Acaster tickets this morning, but his shows going on general sale have managed to DDOS not only his own website but every theatre he's appearing in :D 

Gervais tickets on general sale earlier today. Checked Ticketmaster this morning and cheapest left in Brum were at £187 each. I don't think so. 

Edited by Xela
  • Shocked 1

13 minutes ago, Xela said:

Gervais tickets on general sale earlier today. Checked Ticketmaster this morning and cheapest left in Brum were at £187 each. I don't think so. 

**** hell. We were on the fence but didn't bother

Said it before but arena comedy gigs don't do anything for me, it definitely loses something, can't begrudge them the success of performing in front of more people, but it's not for me

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

**** hell. We were on the fence but didn't bother

Said it before but arena comedy gigs don't do anything for me, it definitely loses something, can't begrudge them the success of performing in front of more people, but it's not for me

That was the resale market on Ticketmaster. Over 200 sheets now. For a Monday night arena gig.

I've seen him before (Science, I think) and not desperate to see him again, especially at those amounts!

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, theboyangel said:

Saw Ivo Graham midweek and he was very very good indeed.

He's touring again later in the year with new material so will go see him again. 

Is he the dude that's on the newest series of taskmaster? he's pretty good on that but I don't think his humour would translate to stand up for me 

14 minutes ago, leemond2008 said:

Is he the dude that's on the newest series of taskmaster? he's pretty good on that but I don't think his humour would translate to stand up for me 

Yes he is in the latest Taskmaster and enjoying his interactions with Frankie Boyle. 

His stand up show was very funny too and he can keep an audience laughing 

I got tickets to Sarah Millicans playground gig in Stafford in June. I mentioned up thread but there is 5 or 6 comedians trying out new material hosted by her, £9 a ticket. 

• Like 1

I have started watching 8 out of 10 cats does countdown lately.

I went there for Jimmy Carr, but I stayed there for Sean Lock.

Sean Lock is brilliant. The guy doesn't know how to be not funny.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, AJ said:

I have started watching 8 out of 10 cats does countdown lately.

I went there for Jimmy Carr, but I stayed there for Sean Lock.

Sean Lock is brilliant. The guy doesn't know how to be not funny.  

It seemed effortless and was generous allowing time for younger or more inexperienced stand ups who joined him on the panel. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
12 minutes ago, Xela said:

Saw Frankie Boyle at the Alexandra last night. Was excellent. Enjoyed it far more than I thought I would. 

It wasn't really until I saw his end of year reviews and later his taskmaster appearance that I got him. I imagine his live show is way beyond what he can do on television.

• Like 2

On 22/04/2023 at 05:54, Seat68 said:

I got tickets to Sarah Millicans playground gig in Stafford in June. I mentioned up thread but there is 5 or 6 comedians trying out new material hosted by her, £9 a ticket. 

Watched her other half Gary Delaney at Sutton Town Hall last sat night. 

Very funny and quite near the knuckle at times (literally, with his fisting jokes !)

• Haha 1

On 21/04/2023 at 22:48, Xela said:

While not stand up, I do like a good impression (apart from that Farley chap)

I genuinely don't think this can be beaten...

Serafinowicz is taking his Brian Butterfield character on tour this year.  I'm not exactly sure how you spin that character out into a whole show, but I'm sure it'll be a good time.  Oddly enough, shortly after he's then joining Brian Eno's first live tour with the Baltic Sea Philharmonic (did vocals on Eno's "The Ship" album).  Very different ends of the spectrum!

Those superb Garth Marenghi shows from earlier in the year have (quite rightly) yielded a second full book tour, and I cannot recommend that enough.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Xela said:

Saw Frankie Boyle at the Alexandra last night. Was excellent. Enjoyed it far more than I thought I would. 

4 hours ago, Seat68 said:

It wasn't really until I saw his end of year reviews and later his taskmaster appearance that I got him. I imagine his live show is way beyond what he can do on television.

Saw him a few years ago, one of my faves but can be a little controversial. Never bothered me as its comedy. Same with Paul Chowdhry and Jimmy Carr both who I've seen many times. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Seat68 said:

He was close to the bone... straight into jokes about cancer, incest and paedophilia! 

However, the most uncomfortable part of the night was the temperature in the theatre. Everyone was sweating and fanning themselves!

3 minutes ago, Xela said:

He was close to the bone... straight into jokes about cancer, incest and paedophilia! 

However, the most uncomfortable part of the night was the temperature in the theatre. Everyone was sweating and fanning themselves!

I saw Stewart Lee at Wolves Civic years ago on his carpet remnant world tour, in 2012. It was late May and it was uncomfortably hot in the venue. His next tour is at the Grand so at least the seats will be comfortable.

28 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

I saw Stewart Lee at Wolves Civic years ago on his carpet remnant world tour, in 2012. It was late May and it was uncomfortably hot in the venue. His next tour is at the Grand so at least the seats will be comfortable.

I was at that same Stewart Lee gig. He was superb (as always) and yeah, the venues AC must have been on the blink because it was sweltering.

Him mentioning 'Round the Wrekin' was a top class moment 👏 

• Like 1

On 22/04/2023 at 05:54, Seat68 said:

Was this last night? My mate Danny Clives was one of the other comics.

2 minutes ago, Paddywhack said:

Was this last night? My mate Danny Clives was one of the other comics.

Nah this one was on the 19th. Not sure if he was one of the others. 

Â