Musk's Twitter Purchase

KentVillan

On 20/11/2022 at 08:42, sidcow said:

Yeah, we would have to have some rules, like banning people who voted for Brexit, or who only like musical acts that less than 5% of the general population have heard of

@limpid would never ban a mod!

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Musk taking a swipe at Apple. 

If there is one company with rock solid cultist followers it's Apple. Not sure Musk is choosing a wise fight there. 

He is like a tabloid newspaper generating their own news. 

18 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Musk taking a swipe at Apple. 

If there is one company with rock solid cultist followers it's Apple. Not sure Musk is choosing a wise fight there. 

Apple suposedly considering removing Twitter from the App store. Not sure he has any option but to fight them. They could literally kill Twitter for a substantial portion of its user base

On 26/11/2022 at 11:14, StefanAVFC said:

He says he’s neither right or left but amplifies and likes only right / far-right figures 

His claim is that he’s a centrist and is trying to address a missbalance and drag the conversation back to the ‘centre’ by letting right wing commentators back in. 

The tricky thing is that nearly everyone considers themselves part of the ‘sensible centre’ and everyone who disagrees is part of the far left/right (as applicable).

It’s difficult to be objective about one’s own views. 

Edited by LondonLax
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Apple reserve the right to remove apps from their store that don’t meet their sensible guidelines

Musk is whipping people up into a frenzy like Trump used to do. IIRC next we see some nutter do something stupid and people end up dead.

Edited by Genie

30 minutes ago, villa89 said:

I find Americans love freedom of speech, right up to the point where someone says something they don't agree with. Like something pro abortion. 

Or that everyone having free access to guns might not be a great idea. 

"exceptionally poor taste" "just plain creepy"

So comforting to know that centuries of argument on what makes good and bad taste, and what's just creepy, have now been settled by the company that lobbied against a bill aimed at stopping forced Uighur labour in China.

Edited by His Name Is Death

1 hour ago, villa89 said:

I find Americans love freedom of speech, right up to the point where someone says something they don't agree with. Like something pro abortion. 

100%. 
Americans ironically don't really understand the word freedom. 
Or irony. 

I had a conversation with one many years ago when the Patriot Act was being brought in. It was basically enabling sweeping increases in domestic surveillance. He swore blind and was intractable that it was to preserve freedom. Without a trace of irony. The freedom to have all your conversations monitored and tracked.  

According to Freedom House, an independent organisation that monitors political and civil freedoms, America was 60th in a list of most-free nations, level with Panama, and below (notably) Romania, Argentina, South Korea, Croatia, Belize, Greece, Latvia, Lithuania, Slovenia, Slovakia, Czech Republic, Costa Rica, Taiwan, Uruguay, as well as the obvious suspects (almost the entire western world). No joke, Hungary is the only western country below them.  

1 hour ago, villa89 said:

I find it a bit weird that this post has gotten so many likes. 

I don’t think that really describes Americans at all, or even a majority of Americans. 

3 hours ago, cyrusr said:

For being "the land of the free", some Americans have a terrible understanding of what Freedom of Speech actually means. 

Particularly true for those who are South African.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, LondonLax said:

I find it a bit weird that this post has gotten so many likes. 

I don’t think that really describes Americans at all, or even a majority of Americans. 

But it probably does describe most of those who bang on about "freedom of speech".

23 minutes ago, bobzy said:

But it probably does describe most of those who bang on about "freedom of speech".

Does it? Some of them might well be anti abortion but I don’t notice them trying to claim you can’t talk about abortion at all?

What I do see though is people who seem to think that free speech means being free of any negative consequences for their speech, which is pretty absurd.

If someone is going to be an offensive dick in a group of people (online or otherwise) then they shouldn’t be surprised if they are shown the door by that group. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

Does it? Some of them might well be anti abortion but I don’t notice them trying to claim you can’t talk about abortion at all?

I think you need to look a little harder

A Proposed Antiabortion Law Infringes on Free Speech

A law would make it illegal to share abortion information on the Internet and raises serious concerns about freedom of speech nationwide

After the June Supreme Court Dobbs decision overturned nearly 50 years of abortion care precedent, several states have moved quickly to pass abortion-related legislation. This has frequently been in the form of restricting or protecting access to the medical procedure. But efforts to limit abortion aren’t solely about what happens in a medical facility. They can go far beyond that. A bill under consideration in South Carolina seeks to restrict what its residents will be able to read online about abortion. As a consequence, it also threatens to restrict what all of us can say. [...]

[...]Those who oppose abortion often seek to limit the ways we can talk about it. On the federal level, the late Republican representative Henry Hyde of Illinois inserted language into the Communications Decency Act during the 1990s, which effectively sought to ban online speech about abortion.* The Clinton Department of Justice refused to enforce the provision. It remains in the law today but has so far survived legal challenges to its constitutionality only because federal prosecutors have said they do not intend to enforce it.[...]

That bastion of left wing pinkos, Scientific American reporting

7 hours ago, bickster said:

Apple suposedly considering removing Twitter from the App store. Not sure he has any option but to fight them. They could literally kill Twitter for a substantial portion of its user base

They could destroy twitter but musk could certainly destroy them in other ways. You aint one of the most powerful men on the planet for a reason.

It will be a loss for both parties.

Im gonna sit back with my popcorn and watch. I hope they destroy each other. Dislike both

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

They could destroy twitter but musk could certainly destroy them in other ways. You aint one of the most powerful men on the planet for a reason.

It will be a loss for both parties.

Im gonna sit back with my popcorn and watch. I hope they destroy each other. Dislike both

How would Musk destroy Apple? He has little or no hold over them, they do have a hold over Twitter.

Musk is not one of the most powerful men on the planet. He's a rich investor that makes Jeff Bezos seem cuddly.

• Like 3

Â