Musk's Twitter Purchase

KentVillan

Wondering what impact Elon Musk now being in charge of Twitter will have? He seems to indicate that he wants it to be a “free speech” site. We know where that led last time.

Surely “free speech” on algo & bot amplified platforms has turned out to be hugely dangerous and not at all in keeping with the original concept of freedom of expression?

But imagine Trump will be delighted.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, KentVillan said:

Wondering what impact Elon Musk now being in charge of Twitter will have? He seems to indicate that he wants it to be a “free speech” site. We know where that led last time.

Surely “free speech” on algo & bot amplified platforms has turned out to be hugely dangerous and not at all in keeping with the original concept of freedom of expression?

But imagine Trump will be delighted.

One of his pledges was to clamp down on bots by upping the verification process and making it less anonymous.

Not sure if it will work though, Facebook is less anonymous but still gets plagued with issues and needs to be heavily moderated. 

2 hours ago, LondonLax said:

One of his pledges was to clamp down on bots by upping the verification process and making it less anonymous.

Not sure if it will work though, Facebook is less anonymous but still gets plagued with issues and needs to be heavily moderated. 

I doubt he wants to moderate it. The clamping down on bots is just bullshit. He'll more likely flood it with bots spouting whatever messages he wants to get across. 

Trump will be back in a jiffy. 

30 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I doubt he wants to moderate it. The clamping down on bots is just bullshit. He'll more likely flood it with bots spouting whatever messages he wants to get across. 

Depends what you mean by moderate. I think he may have a desire to get rid of the bots, hence the increased verification. Does he want to limit what people can say? No absolutely not. It'll be full of hate speech before you know it. And yes Trump will be back.

Musk buying twitter is a watershed moment. The Web needs more governance, not less. This will result in the rise of hate, lies and ignorance like no platform has in the history of humanity. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sidcow said:

He’ll lose commercial revenue and access to hosting servers/Google&Apple stores if it becomes ‘TruthSocial’.

The moderation Twitter had in place was done purely out of self interest to Twitter’s bottom line, not for altruistic reasons.

Musk is going to hit those same buffers. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

He’ll lose commercial revenue and access to hosting servers/Google&Apple stores if it becomes ‘TruthSocial’.

The moderation Twitter had in place was done purely out of self interest to Twitter’s bottom line, not for altruistic reasons.

Musk is going to hit those same buffers. 

His aim surely is to privatise political discourse. Any political movement will need the support of twitter, and will pay to enable the spread of an ideology. It is the zenith of the part of American politics that I abhor. Any lobbying group with enough money, regardless of how crackpot or, let's face it evil they are will be given power beyond their dreams, where in the past these idiots (flat earthers I'm looking at you) would have been dismissed in bar room discourse as utter buffoons. There is only one way for society when black=white and right=wrong.

Edited by HKP90
Autocorrect. Hahaha

I should qualify that I don't think that Elon Musk himself is on anyone's side, and I think that he beleives what he does is for the good of humanity, but for all his engineering and marketing genius, his biggest fault is that he does not understand people. He trusts in the character of people far far too much. And with his level of influence, it unfortunately makes him dangerous.  

• Like 1

I’ll reserve judgment until I see what it becomes but he does have financial constraints. Musk took out huge loans to fund the purchase of Twitter and the interest on them is in the billions per year, paid for from Twitter’s revenues. If sponsors flee because it has become a toxic environment he’ll be in a bind. 

I'd love it to be a massive **** up from him. I'm beginning to really detest him. 

Unfortunately he'll probably grow it and make more money though. Not from me though, I didn't do Twitter before and I'm certainly not starting now. 

12 minutes ago, NoelVilla said:

Spending part of your fortune on buying Twitter when there are so many things that you can spend them on to really help people. 

Exactly. You could probably feed the poorest half of the world for a few years with $44b. Or buy a shitty app.

• Like 1

Â